PDA

View Full Version : Using email adresses in post

attroll
11-03-2004, 01:34
wbdent I would recommend that if you want people to contact you then to have them go through you profile or have them click on your user name in the post and then send email to you that way.

wbdent It is your choice if you want to post your email address in the forums in a post. I am not going to stop you. But I will point out that it is a good way to start getting junk mail in you email in that email address. It is not that WhiteBlaze releases your email address to anyone. But search engines randomly go through every web site on the internet and programs are written to do search for email addresses that are posted in messages on the internet. So this also pertains to any other web site that you post on.

wbdent But I can assure you that the email address that you registered here on WhiteBlaze with does not get release to anyone. No one can see it or have access to it except the site administrators. That address is secure. I just want to point out the problem with posting your email address to the public. But it is your choice.

Mags
11-03-2004, 12:59
Troll.

Hope you don't mind, but if I may offer a suggestion for those who want to publically post their e-mail.

The user should post their e-mail addie in the following format:

user AT yourdomain DOT -DELETE THIS- com

Hope some users find this example userful.

attroll
11-03-2004, 13:25
Troll.

Hope you don't mind, but if I may offer a suggestion for those who want to publically post their e-mail.

The user should post their e-mail addie in the following format:

user AT yourdomain DOT -DELETE THIS- com

Hope some users find this example userful.
Mags

You lost me lon this one.

Rain Man
11-03-2004, 13:32
You lost me lon this one.

Rick,

I think he's saying that if your email were this --

[email protected]

That you would write it like this --

john_smith AT yahoo DOT -DELETE THIS- com

It's a method of tricking web crawlers that harvest email addresses.

Rain Man

Mags
11-03-2004, 13:36
Rick,

I think he's saying that if your email were this --

[email protected]

That you would write it like this --

john_smith AT yahoo DOT -DELETE THIS- com

It's a method of tricking web crawlers that harvest email addresses.

Rain Man

Yep,..that is indeed what I was saying. Probably should have put a clearer example. The geek side of me spoke a bit too loudly. :)

attroll
11-03-2004, 13:42
Ok. I got it now. I am a little slow sometimes in the mind area. joe_smith AT yahoo.com. That is a good idea. Thanks for sharing that with us.

minnesotasmith
11-08-2004, 04:55
Is to post it as a graphic, like a .jpeg. The human reader can make it out all right, but software will skip over it.

Rain Man
11-08-2004, 12:03
Is to post it as a graphic, like a .jpeg. The human reader can make it out all right, but software will skip over it.

Well, maybe, maybe not. I see lots of sites these days that require you to type in the text from a graphic to join or sign on, and those graphic text boxes have pretty screwy "fonts" for a reason... to avoid being read by software. So, apparently, software can read text in a graphic? Yes? No?
:sun
Rain Man

attroll
11-08-2004, 12:28
Well, maybe, maybe not. I see lots of sites these days that require you to type in the text from a graphic to join or sign on, and those graphic text boxes have pretty screwy "fonts" for a reason... to avoid being read by software. So, apparently, software can read text in a graphic? Yes? No?
:sun
Rain Man

The reason the sites require this type of verification is to keep written programs from going out and automatically signing onto the sites. To answer your question. Yes a graphic would work for a signature too.