PDA

View Full Version : BMT or AT?

Edvvard
06-13-2010, 03:10
I'm preparing to do a Thruhike in the coming years of the AT, but I'd like to do some sort of longer hike this time next summer. I can't wait :(

Anyway... I'm really unsure of what to do. I'd like to be out for 3 weeks, but I don't want to carry 3 weeks worth of food on my back if at all possible. haha.

I wanted to see Clingmans dome(girlfriend wants to show me where she stepped onto the AT so she could claim she walked on the AT) , i don't know if the BMT goes by it or not...

What is the trail I should do?

I have reasonable experience with overnighters and dayhikes, but that's about the extent of it sadly. I'd like to do a bit more.

And one more question... would a hammock hanger need an underquilt in June on the BMT or lower AT?

I just got my hammock and i'm unsure :-?

Thanks! :sun

SGT Rock
06-13-2010, 04:09
I'm preparing to do a Thruhike in the coming years of the AT, but I'd like to do some sort of longer hike this time next summer. I can't wait :(

Anyway... I'm really unsure of what to do. I'd like to be out for 3 weeks, but I don't want to carry 3 weeks worth of food on my back if at all possible. haha.

I wanted to see Clingmans dome(girlfriend wants to show me where she stepped onto the AT so she could claim she walked on the AT) , i don't know if the BMT goes by it or not...

What is the trail I should do?

I have reasonable experience with overnighters and dayhikes, but that's about the extent of it sadly. I'd like to do a bit more.

And one more question... would a hammock hanger need an underquilt in June on the BMT or lower AT?

I just got my hammock and i'm unsure :-?

Thanks! :sun
Sent you a PM.

If she is hiking with you, hard to get to the Dome without doing some serious side trails. But if you are getting picked up for a re-supply in the US441 area by her, then driving up to the Dome on the way to Gatlinburg is a good way to spend a day.

As for the underquilt, hard to say since everyone is different. I would take about an 8.5 ounce pad if I were doing it.

Edvvard
06-13-2010, 15:38
Well. We are figuring on doing the AT from Springer to Damascus. Only thing is figuring out the mileage on that particular journey. Regardless, we wanted a trip that'd be about a month or 6 weeks.

Bearpaw
06-13-2010, 19:29
The AT is probably a more "comfortable" trail for someone with less experience. You'll have more options for resupply and more chances to meet other hikers.

Plus, IMO, the BMT is just a generally tougher trail. A bit more climbing than comparable parts of the AT with a narrower, considerably rougher tread. I've hiked about 2/3's of the BMT, mostly in May and June, and it is MUCH more brushy than that AT. Summer is a tough time to hike it.

This time of year, I still bring an underquilt, an 11 ounce Warbonnet Yeti 2/3 length model. I have a 24"x20" sit pad that goes into the footbox of my hammock.

Ox97GaMe
06-13-2010, 20:50
Everyone makes good points here. Yes, the BMT doesnt get as much brushing in summer than the AT (as a general rule). If you are planning to hike the AT soon, then you may want to avoid hiking 400 miles of the AT before then. It could lead to burn out when you are actually attempting your thru hike. As a suggestion, you can do sections of both, if you want. Personally, I like the BMT through the Smokies better than the AT. There is so much more of the beauty of the park than running the ridgeline along the AT. Take in the waterfalls, the hike along the lakeshore, see some of the old buildings, vehicles, and railroad relics.

If you dont mind some hiking solitude, some more difficult trail, and some incredible scenery, then patch together some of the other trails that parellel the AT. you have options for Cumberland, Bartram, Mountain to Sea, etc besides the Benton MacKaye, as well as any number of trail combinations in the Smokies.

There are definitely a lot of options. At one time, there was a website that listed all the 'blue blaze' trails near the AT. They were looking for a way to get from Springer to Katadin without touching a white blaze.

Another option that I like, but only 300 miles, is to hike the Sheltowee Trace in Kentucky. It is pretty well marked and not as strenuous as many of the trails that run through GA, NC, and TN.

Edvvard
06-14-2010, 01:06
Ha. I am a newb to long treks, so maybe the AT is the way to go.

Or maybe there is another longer distance trail out there that is in the midwest I should do?

Ewker
06-14-2010, 09:27
Ha. I am a newb to long treks, so maybe the AT is the way to go.

Or maybe there is another longer distance trail out there that is in the midwest I should do?

since you are in Ohio I 2nd what Ox97GaMe said about the Sheltowee Trace. Here is the website for that trail http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/

Edvvard
06-14-2010, 11:54
since you are in Ohio I 2nd what Ox97GaMe said about the Sheltowee Trace. Here is the website for that trail http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/

I didn't even see that...

That looks pretty nice to me :D

There are neat sites to see and places to resupply along the way, right?

Liv2Ride
06-20-2010, 13:12
.....Plus, IMO, the BMT is just a generally tougher trail. A bit more climbing than comparable parts of the AT with a narrower, considerably rougher tread. I've hiked about 2/3's of the BMT, mostly in May and June, and it is MUCH more brushy than that AT. Summer is a tough time to hike it.

This time of year, I still bring an underquilt, an 11 ounce Warbonnet Yeti 2/3 length model. I have a 24"x20" sit pad that goes into the footbox of my hammock.

Yep, I agree with all of the above. I'll be doing 4 days out on the BMT this coming weekend through the Cohutta and Big Frog Wilderness and it's going to be semi brutal. Did an overnighter 3 weeks ago on Section 9 and the brush and bugs were as thick as can be. I'll be using my HH SS with Mac's IX underpad along with my Montbell UL SS #2 bag as a quilt. It'll be a teeny bit chilly hanging at 4000 ft. Can't wait!