PDA

View Full Version : Recommend 5day trip in George Washington or Jefferson national forests

ike1985
06-13-2010, 09:05
Hey everybody,

I have been scouring the web but have been unable to find and trip reports in these regions. I would like a little bit of everything, falls, summits, valleys, etc. Can anyone recommend loop hikes or hikes that utilize shuttle in these regions?

We will have only one car.

Looking for 35-50 mile loops.

Maximum 5 days 4 nights.

Cookerhiker
06-13-2010, 13:42
I've done some hiking in GWNF along with some PATC trail maintenance but I can only give you vague notions of a 4-5 day circuit hike. One possibility is on the Massanuten Mountain ridgeline, there's a network of trails, one of which is the Tuscarora. There's also a network of trails and a shelter or 2 centered around Great North Mountain and Big Schloss. And you could hike the Tuscarora from SNP (Mathews Arm CG) to US Rt. 50 but you'd need a shuttle.

I suggest you post on PATC's chat room (http://www.potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=182&Itemid=159) where you may find more hikers who hike those forests, especially GW.

TexasEd
06-28-2010, 13:58
My brothers and I walked from Dickey Gap (Near Troutdale/ VA 650) to Damascus in 3.5 days last year, 49 miles.

We had all the things on your list plus abandoned railroad trestle bridges, wild blueberries, feral ponies and the two tallest peaks in Virginia.

Just start a little farther away? We used a shuttle out of Damascus.