PDA

View Full Version : A week in the AT in October

liran
06-13-2010, 09:15
Hi everybody,
I'm planning to walk one (maybe 2) week of the AT by the end of september - beginning of october.
I have experience with treks, just finished the Israel National Trail.
what part would you advice me to do (weather...)?
should I take a tent?

thank you!

beartripper
06-13-2010, 09:42
October is a good time to be on the AT for me. I would suggest that you pick the park of the trail that appeals to you the most. The foilage should be beatiful at that time of year and the weather should not be that hot. I have not had a problem staying in the shelters, but then some hikers prefer to tent along the trail. If you select the Northern part of the AT you might want to bring some warmer attire. Happy trials.

Cookerhiker
06-13-2010, 12:11
The first 2 weeks in October are a wonderful time to hike the AT. I'd suggest starting in Vermont where the Trail crosses Rt. 4 (or actually at the top of the Rt. 4 hill by the Inn at the Long Trail) near Rutland and hiking south. In addition to seeing some nice autumn colors, this stretch should help you transporation-wise. If you fly to New York, you can take a bus to Rutland or train to White River Junction and by hiking south, you're heading towards NY where you will find more transportation options for returning to the city and your flight home.

johnnybgood
06-13-2010, 12:26
Welcome to not only Whiteblaze but also to the United States.
How long is the Israel National Trail and what is the terrain like ? I'm always gathering information on trails in other countries so If I ever have the opportunity to travel there.

Now to answer your question regarding a week or two hike on the AT while here in this country.

Hiking early October through Shenandoah National Park would be perfect because of the leaves changing colors and cooler weather making for pleasent hiking.
Also the AT runs parallel through SNP so there are numerous opportunities to get off the trail and change plans if necessary. Get a map of the park by road walking 1/2 mile to the Rockfish Gap Ranger Station.

The waysides ( food,supply areas) will also still be open in early October so unless you're on a strict diet or vegan there is no need to carry much food while hiking through the park.
I'd hike northbound starting at Rockfish Gap and go to Harpers Ferry , 160 miles .
A backcountry permit , free of charge, is needed to camp while on the trail through the park . One can be attained and completed at the entrance station at Rockfish Gap.

There's hiker hostels after leaving Shenandoah Natl' Park that cater to hikers and are inexpensive. Bears Den Hostel is excellent and so is the Blackburn AT Center .

Harpers Ferry is an National Historic Town and is also the home to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

Enjoy your hike !

Kerosene
06-13-2010, 12:47
I much prefer hiking in the Fall on the AT, especially if you can time it for peak colors. It is generally a lot cooler, and there are few flying insects with fewer people on the trail. On the downside, water sources can be scarce, especially after a dry summer.

If you're looking for a challenge, then I'd probably shoot for Hanover to Gorham, New Hampshire in the latter half of September. If you want a nice walk in the woods, then the Shenendoahs in the first half of October.

Have fun!

Tin Man
06-13-2010, 18:16
The first 2 weeks in October are a wonderful time to hike the AT. I'd suggest starting in Vermont where the Trail crosses Rt. 4 (or actually at the top of the Rt. 4 hill by the Inn at the Long Trail) near Rutland and hiking south. In addition to seeing some nice autumn colors, this stretch should help you transporation-wise. If you fly to New York, you can take a bus to Rutland or train to White River Junction and by hiking south, you're heading towards NY where you will find more transportation options for returning to the city and your flight home.

I agree, this would be a great option. It will give a nice taste of hiking the AT and enjoying the New England foliage.

Shutterbug
06-13-2010, 21:08
Hi everybody,
I'm planning to walk one (maybe 2) week of the AT by the end of september - beginning of october.
I have experience with treks, just finished the Israel National Trail.
what part would you advice me to do (weather...)?
should I take a tent?

thank you!

October is my favorite month to hike in the 100 Mile Wilderness. Start by climbing Mt. Katahdin, then hike south as far as your time permits.

To get an idea of the area, check out my album from 2005. http://picasaweb.google.com/shutterbug.dave/100MileWilderness2005#

volleypc
06-14-2010, 14:50
I strongly agree with Shutterbug. I hiked Maine including the 100 mile wilderness last October and I could not wait to get up in the morning and get going. The colors were absolutely AMAZING. Maine/Katahdin are pretty all year, but the colors really do add to the experience.

liran
06-19-2010, 14:42
Thank you very much for the tips,
I assume I won't take a tent with me, the shelters and a good sleepping bag would do (correct me if I'm wrong).

As for the question about the Israel National Trail:
it's 946 km long, from the northmost edge to the southern edge of the country. It is a very special trail, because it goes through lots of terrain types, the Negev in the south - a rough, rocky desert,
the plateau of the shore - soft sand, the mountains of the galilee - pine forests, etc.
If you have any more question about it i'll be happy to answer

Kerosene
06-19-2010, 15:27
You should never depend on shelter availability as there can be unexpected events that fill them up. However, you might be able to get by with a very lightweight option (such as an 8-ounce bivy bag) that would at least keep you dry in the event that a shelter is full, although it may not be a comfortable night.

Medic!
06-20-2010, 01:42
You should never depend on shelter availability as there can be unexpected events that fill them up. However, you might be able to get by with a very lightweight option (such as an 8-ounce bivy bag) that would at least keep you dry in the event that a shelter is full, although it may not be a comfortable night.

Agree with ^

Also, if for some reason you can't make it to a shelter, it's nice to have the protection. And remember, being in a tent will increase sleeping warmth, I've heard it said by as much as 10 degrees, so in the event of a cold snap sleeping may be a bit more comfortable.

fiddlehead
06-20-2010, 02:49
From the Israeli's that I know, most don't like the cold too much.
Maine and NH will most likely dip below freezing on many nights and maybe some days in Oct.
If you are ok with that, then they are the best.
If not, head south.
Where do you fly in to?
Do you have transportation?