PDA

View Full Version : flip flopping it

Megapixel
06-13-2010, 11:42
2011 Thruhike:

I've been thinking a lot about direction (in more ways than one ha) and what are folks thoughts on flip flopping vs. Southbound?
NOBO isn't an option for us, but we can leave as early as May 1st for either a SOBO or maybe a flip-flop hike.

If i flipped, where should I do it from (im thinking PA or VA N to ME and then back to Springer) ?

Is there things I'm missing here? It seems if i flipped I would miss more of the bugs and fast stream crossings in ME, and it would give me a head start on the cold weather towards then end of the hike.

Nean
06-13-2010, 12:20
I'd leave Harpers Ferry on May 1st NOBO and then go SOBO from HF.:) Best of both worlds.;)

Odd Man Out
06-13-2010, 12:40
I too have looked into this as I work on an academic year schedule, and would not be able to start until after May 1.

The AT Conservancy (ATC) website has some details about various discontinuous itineraries.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805565/k.67EA/Alternative_Itineraries.htm

The nomenclature for breaking up a thru hike into two parts does not seem to be standard. Conceptually there are six options.

The first two are what the ATC web site calls a flip flop. This is starting at GA and hiking north to a stopping point (Harper's Ferry perhaps) and then going to ME and finish the second half hiking south. A second flip flop option would be to start in ME, hike south, and flop to GA to finish hiking north. The flip flop is an "outside in" hike, always starting at the ends and hiking toward the middle.

The next two options are what the ATC site calls a wraparound. This would be starting in the middle and hiking south to GA. Then go to ME and hike south back to the middle. The second wraparound trip would be to start in the middle and hike north to ME. Then go to GA and hike north back to the middle. The wraparond is a oneway hike starting and ending in the middle.

The last two options are called the "Headstart" on the ATC site. For this you start in the middle and hike north to ME. Your go back to the middle and hike south to GA. The second headstart option would be to start in the middle and hike south to GA first and ME second. These are both "inside out" hikes, starting each leg in the middel and hiking to the ends.

Of course there are many more options if you break it up into more than two parts, and what you define as the middle for the plans above can vary depending on dates and logistics.

Of these, it seems to me that the flip flop starting in ME and the headstart starting southbound don't make much sense, at least for a late starter. The other four options all seem to have some merit depending on your needs.

It seems to me that the Headstart option starting north is attractive. You would be hiking with the NOBO thru hikers for the first half and the SOBO thru hikers for the second half (assuming you wanted company), and each leg would finish at the mountaintop at the ends of the trail. You also have the advantage of starting out with the relatively easy mid-atlantic states.

Disclaimer. I have not yet done this hike. This is just what I have gleaned from reading alot about the options. Experienced flip flopers and can add more.

Megapixel
06-13-2010, 13:35
Thanks to all who have posted so far. How would ATC headquarters handle the whole picture taking thing if u started there? Maybe wait until you returned there for your 2nd half?

I'm really leaning heavily towards the the Harpers Ferry Start.
Thanks for the link!

Odd Man Out
06-13-2010, 14:28
For a nice warm-up, you could fly to Reagan Airport (DCA) or train (Amtrak) to Union Station in Washington DC. Take the Blue Line Metro to Foggy Bottom, walk North on 23rd St to Washington Circle and then NW on the foot/bike path along the south side of PA Ave. Immediately after crossing the bridge over Rock Creek Pkwy, follow the the foot/bike path along the entrance ramp to your left (0.6 mi). At the end, make a U turn to your right and you are at the beginning of the C&O Canal Foot Path. Follow that for 58 miles to the AT across the river from Harpers Ferry.

But you would have to check out http://www.nps.gov/choh/index.htm for camping logistics.

Blissful
06-13-2010, 17:37
Thanks to all who have posted so far. How would ATC headquarters handle the whole picture taking thing if u started there? Maybe wait until you returned there for your 2nd half?

Probably. Makes sense....

Lauriep
06-13-2010, 20:12
For flip-floppers who are in Harpers Ferry twice in the course of their hikes, we sometimes take two photos. We figure they should get special treatment if they choose to start and/or end at ATC :-) We just make sure to number only the first photo; the second one will go on the bulletin board if they finish here.

Laurie P.
ATC

Tatum
07-17-2010, 08:02
I met a guy - "First Turn", who started NOBO in Harpers and was really disappointed with the starting scenery into PA (he actually got off the trail and hitched down to central VA!, he was only sectioning tho). If your in shape and want some great starting vistas, start at McAfee's or Dragon's Tooth. Just my 2cents. :-?

Kirby
07-17-2010, 13:05
It always sounded like a neat concept.

Razor
07-17-2010, 16:01
In a 6 month journey, I have always wondered what the interest was in a specific end or beginning! The joy is in the journey and you can experience the whole trail as you hike. So many people get hung up on a special start or a special end. It is important to plan your trip for success on your timetable and how the calender works with the weather. All the options mentioned are good but pick one for the best success with your situation and enjoy the journey. As a flipper I beat the odds with the weather and the calender and enjoyed every minute.The odds that you will finish is at best 25%.Make every decission count for being in that 1 in 4.

DapperD
07-27-2010, 19:15
2011 Thruhike:

I've been thinking a lot about direction (in more ways than one ha) and what are folks thoughts on flip flopping vs. Southbound?
NOBO isn't an option for us, but we can leave as early as May 1st for either a SOBO or maybe a flip-flop hike.

If i flipped, where should I do it from (im thinking PA or VA N to ME and then back to Springer) ?

Is there things I'm missing here? It seems if i flipped I would miss more of the bugs and fast stream crossings in ME, and it would give me a head start on the cold weather towards then end of the hike.You say Northbound isn't an option for your thru-hike, but you state you can leave for your trip as early as May 1st? If you left from Springer Mountain on May 1st, that would still allow 5 1/2 months time for you to reach and climb Mt. Katahdin in Maine. I dont think if you maintained a steady pace you would have any problem finishing a Northbound Thru-hike. The guys who made this documentary left Northbound on May 1st and finished on October 1st:http://www.hikemore.com/newsletter/hiking-documentary/trek.html

scope
07-27-2010, 22:53
Personally, I've always thought I'd like to do a flip flop thru where I'm hiking Sobo through New England while the leaves are changing color, then leave NE in mid Oct to finish up in the south. If that appeals to you at all, you can work out the logistics. Would look something like leaving Hot Springs May 1, get somewhere around Kent before flipping to Katahdin and going Sobo, then finishing Hot Springs to Springer.