PDA

View Full Version : Video: REI Kingdom 4 tent

STICK
06-13-2010, 13:14
As you all probably know I recently got the REI Kingdom 4 tent for our new family car camping tent. This past week we took it out for 2 nights. I brought my video camera to do a little video presentation of the tent that I posted on my blog. If anyone is interested in checking it out, it can be seen here:

http://stick13.wordpress.com/

Thanks for checking it out.

trailangelbronco
06-13-2010, 15:08
Xmas lights in camp and Insta log for the fire? OK...

Looks like a fun trip and looks like the kids had fun. Cool blog, btw.

Mountain Wildman
06-13-2010, 15:21
Looks like a good quality tent, I've always liked tents with more room than you need, For all of my car camping I use tents with a peak height over 6 feet so I can stand up in them. Usually family type tents for 4 to 6 people, plenty of room considering it is usually just me in it.

STICK
06-13-2010, 17:00
Even though this one is only the 4 person, it has tons of room. And even more when it is just the wife and I.

STICK
06-13-2010, 17:03
Thanks trailangelbronco, the Christmas lights are cool at night, and they actually provide a good deal of light. We used the multicolor lights, but I would imagine the white ones would be even brighter. And the instalogs are great for car camping. Super easy to use and pretty cheap, plus they burn well for a few hours! Makes it handy for camp sites heavily used and hard to find much firewood.

SMSP
08-24-2010, 12:02
Are you going to opt for the extra vestibule or is the one on the opposite side plenty?

SMSP

STICK
08-24-2010, 21:09
I would like to. When I first purchased the tent I had planned to use a tarp on that end to make a porch. Problem is there is not good way to attach a tarp with out having water run between the tarp and the tent. The other vestibule would be fine for storing a few things, and even to get under for a little while, but if it were a long storm I wouldn't mind having the larger vestibule too. Also, I have not tested it's waterproofness yet either...

SMSP
08-25-2010, 11:08
After looking at the 360 view of the REI Base Camp and Kingdom, I see that the portion of the doors of the Base Camp are mesh without the feature of having a solid flap to zip from the inside of the doors. I plan to ‘rig-up’ a small A/C unit in the ‘family tent’ and having the option to zip the doors closed would help maximize the A/C. I speculate the reason REI did not include this as a feature is due to the fact that tent comes with both vestibules. I like the ‘dome’ shape with the four poles. I would speculate that this is a very strong design.

The Kingdom appears to have the ability of zipping the doors mesh portion closed. Is this correct? Initially the Kingdom is $20 cheaper than the Base Camp, but to get the extra vestibule for the Kingdom, that’s another $90. Hmm, decisions, decisions. I think I’ll wait till REI puts the Kingdom on sale again.

The Base Camp and Kingdom are both fine tents and I think worth it when purchased on sale. One just has to work out the particulars and features needed.

SMSP