PDA

View Full Version : Packit Gourmet

Mountain Wildman
06-13-2010, 13:59
Packit Gourmet foods are a cut above the rest, They are not the conglomeration of all ingredients in one envelope that you just add water to, They are seperated quality ingredients that give you an essentially home cooked type of meal. I admit that I have only tried their Strawberry Cheesecake Dessert so far but if it is typical of their products then I expect them all to be good, I will follow up this review after I've tried more of their products.

papa john
06-13-2010, 14:55
Last years hike in Montana, we carried the Packit Gourmet foods. We had never eaten so well in the back country! The one thing though is the amount of trash left over. For this years hike we are going to use PG foods again but will try to repack things in order to cut down on the amount of packaging.

We found that the 2 person portions are in fact enough for 2 people and in some cases more. We really enjoyed the banana pudding, Tortilla Soup, American Burger wraps and the YaYa Gumbo (you need a really big pot for this one). We carried way too many meals for our hike and ended up carrying several meals out uneaten.

Can't wait for this years hike in Glacier!!!

jesse
06-13-2010, 14:55
If your Uncle had t*ts he would be your Aunt.

and thats connected to the original post; How?

bigcranky
06-13-2010, 14:57
I just received my first order from Packit Gourmet, and am very happy with it. I did not order meals, though, I just got various ingredients. Quick service and reasonable cost.

The only downside is the shipping charge -- if you order only a few things, it can be higher than the order price. We got a lot of different things (some of which I wish I had ordered more, like the little packets of olive oil), so shipping was more reasonable compared to the total cost.

nufsaid
06-13-2010, 14:58

"IF it is typical of their products then I expect them all to be good"

Mountain Wildman
06-13-2010, 15:02

Amen Jesse,
I heard an old saying when I was younger and try to live by it:
If you can't say something nice then say nothing at all.

nufsaid
06-13-2010, 15:25
Jesse, do you hear me now?

nufsaid
06-13-2010, 15:31
Amen Jesse,
I heard an old saying when I was younger and try to live by it:
If you can't say something nice then say nothing at all.

Making sweeping endorsements may be more effective when having a bit more experience with the product. And this may turn out to be the best thing since sliced bread.t

Mountain Wildman
07-08-2010, 20:17
Fourth of July Camping Trip.

Austintacious Tortilla Soup:
After getting my campsite all set up I broke open my Packit Gourmet Austintacious Tortilla Soup for dinner, Like all of the Packit Gourmet meals it had several separate components which are mixed together to form the final product, Same as when preparing a meal at home. The soup was awesome, Chicken that had the appropriate texture and consistency, broth and medley of vegetables with a packet of True Lime Powder, a packet of Tobasco sauce and a small bag of tortilla chip pieces. Note: With the entire packet of tobasco sauce added it was belly warming to say the least. (Did not take pictures of this item) Sorry!!
Will I order this again? Yes.

Diner Deluxe Scrambled Eggs with Sausage Crumbles and Toasties:
As with other Packit Gourmet meals, This was excellent, The Scrambled Egg mixture which starts as a powder, cooks up like any other scrambled Egg breakfast I've prepared at home with regular hard shell eggs, which definitely surprised me since I have never heard anything good about powdered eggs, If this was served to me at a diner I would not blink an eye, The toasties were very very crunchy, and the final product was just like home cooking.
Packit Gourmet has an impressive product, period!!
Will I order this again? Yes

Bangers and Mash:
Once again, An awesome product by any standard, No other commercially packaged meal can come close to Packit Gourmet, Even a home prepared and Freeze Dried or Dehydrated meal would be hard pressed to surpass the taste and quality of these meals. The Bangers and mash was quite enjoyable, The potatoes in particular were fantastic, The vegetable medley was diverse and the broth supplied with the meal was good enough to drink staright up, I have never had true English Bangers and Mash so I certainly cannot make a comparison, I enjoyed the meal so much that I did my best to scrape every last bit of it out of my Frypan lid, I almost resorted to licking the last few remnants but restrained myself.
The only improvement Packit Gourmet could possibly make to this meal would be to include one larger sausage instead of the two smaller approximately 1/2" thick sausages which reminded me of SlimJims, But all in all it was very tasty.

Banana Puddin:
This smooth, creamy and tasty dessert was easy to prepare, required no hot water and the one person serving was large enough for me to share with my campsite neighbors and we all had enough to appreciate the sweet and tasty delight. The Banana Pudding packet contained the powder and banana pieces, Both the Vanilla Toastees and Toasted Coconut portions were in their own little zip style bags, All of the Packit Gourmet meals I've tried were predominantly comprised of ingredients in small zip style bags.
I prepared the entire dessert in the large outer bag and squeezed out the three portions. No extra dishes to wash!!!! (No picture on this either, Next time.)

Market Pasta Puttanesca:
I saved the best for last!!!
The Packit Gourmet Market Pasta Puttanesca was amazing, fantastic, out of this world good!!! I am surprised that it has not been selected by Backpacker Magazine as an "Editors Choice" or "Best Of " As with the other meals I've tried, this one was supplied in individual packages and mixed at the time of preparation. The meal's outer zip style bag is thick and sturdy, not your every day zip bag. The Extra Virgin Olive Oil was organic and in a sealed packet, The pasta was a typical dry spaghetti with some small black flakes in it which at first I thought, something got into my meal, but the bag was not breached so I went with it, the tomato sauce powder had several spices already in it along with the natural clay desiccant which is in all of their powdered ingredient packages, the vegetable bag had a desiccant as well and quite a variety of dried veggies, Lastly, a Kraft grated parmesan cheese packet. This was probably the best spaghetti meal I have ever eaten, And I have eaten many, At home, relatives and true Italian restaurants, they can't touch this meal, It is good enough to make at home for dinner any night of the week, I have already started another order with Packit Gourmet and I will be ordering a few of these, If I was planning on mail drops for my Thru-Hike next year, I would have at least two or three of these pasta meals included for each mail drop. But, Don't take my word for it, try it yourself.
I almost didn't order this because I figured it was just another spaghetti dinner, I was wrong!!! It was Superb!!!
Will I order this again? Absolutely!!

I always try to buy the best because through years of experience I have found that you do get what you pay for. In my opinion, Packit Gourmet is a winner, I will be open minded and try any other quality meals I stumble across but for now, it's an easy choice.:sun

Kerosene
07-08-2010, 23:00
Looks tasty but heavy (13 ounces for 2 servings). The dinners I perused (http://www.packitgourmet.com/) called for 15 minutes of cooking time, so clearly they're probably dehydrated but not freeze-dried. I'm going to try a few items for my next hike.

Mountain Wildman
07-08-2010, 23:09
Looks tasty but heavy (13 ounces for 2 servings). The dinners I perused (http://www.packitgourmet.com/) called for 15 minutes of cooking time, so clearly they're probably dehydrated but not freeze-dried. I'm going to try a few items for my next hike.

It's a little fuzzy but I believe it is 1 serving at 15 ounces, Worth the weight to carry and oh so good, not an average spaghetti dinner, I am ordering three more but going for the 2 serving size. The Market Pasta Puttanesca was definitely my favorite meal but they were all good.

skinewmexico
07-09-2010, 01:35
Hard for me to get over my anti-Austin bias, but I have ordered a few items from Packit. Mostly veggies for FBC meals, but they were good.

Speakeasy TN
07-09-2010, 20:18
What size pot will hold the solo meals? The .9 liter seems to be the "go to" for solo's but just checking.

Mountain Wildman
07-09-2010, 22:00
What size pot will hold the solo meals? The .9 liter seems to be the "go to" for solo's but just checking.

The indivivual meals should fit in a .9, I use an Evernew Titanium Non-Stick 1.9 because I like room in the pot and the deluxe mac and cheese meals need more room for the elbows to plump up.

Mountain Wildman
07-09-2010, 22:03
Hard for me to get over my anti-Austin bias, but I have ordered a few items from Packit. Mostly veggies for FBC meals, but they were good.

Being that I am a Connecticut Yankee and have never traveled far from the East Coast, Texas is Texas to me. But I obviously don't know the finer points of the cities and towns.

rasudduth
07-10-2010, 07:09
I love their stuff, I found out about them from Dicentra (http://www.onepanwonders.com/) from a talk she gave at ALDHA-West a few years ago. If you are looking to make your own similar (not exact though) meals she gives you some instructions about how to make them own meals that are just as yummy with a lot of ingredients from local stores and/or dehydrate them yourself. That being said, I have ordered a ton of meals from Packit Gourmet and have loved all of them, I tend to buy the just add cold or hot water meals. The banana pudding is the best!

Big Dawg
07-10-2010, 08:24
which, if any, PG dinners do best using the FBC method?

Hikes with a stick
07-10-2010, 11:52
How will these meals do at around 9K to 10K feet? I am thinking about getting the rustic frybread and pancakes for my upcoming rocky mountain trip, but not if they are going to flop at the altitude...

Mountain Wildman
07-10-2010, 14:55
I admit I am new to hiking, I have camped in many areas of the Northeast but always ate regular food, I am just now delving into "add water to bag" meals. I have never heard of the "FBC method" and I have not tested the Packit Gourmet meals at any serious altitude. Sorry I cannot answer your questions, I would suggest that you e-mail Packit Gourmet directly and if you have a chance post back here their response.
I am definitely not a novice, but not an expert either. I benefitted in my gear research from the many campers and hikers that have posted gear and food reviews here and other sites so I felt it only right that I do the same for others.
MW

skinewmexico
07-11-2010, 14:21
Just takes a little more time at altitude.

chrisoc
07-12-2010, 08:29
I like Packit Gourmet. Especially the Bangers and Mash

se7enty
07-12-2010, 17:36
we took a couple of meals on the AT last month. it was the first time we'd tried them.

american burger wrap: WAY too much seasoning. i don't know if we got a bad batch or what. i like seasoned beef, but this was like 3 entire bottles of steak seasoning. i like seasonings, but this was just not my cup of tea. i was planning to add taco seasoning to it, but thank goodness i tasted it first...although it was too strong anyway and i couldn't eat it. my husband, who will not let anything go to waste, ate all of it.

chicken n dumplings: really really good, but don't expect it to be like chicken & dumplings. it's really more like chicken noodle soup; vegetables and flavorings. chicken & dumplings, at least here in the south, is only seasoned with salt & pepper. anyway, this was extremely GOOD. very satisfying. the 1 person serving was enough for my husband and me.

all of their ingredients seem to be very high quality. leaps & bounds beyond mountain house and the like. the hamburger had great texture and seemed like real hamburger, so next time i'm just ordering plain ground beef then i can add whatever i want to it. we'll definitely order from them from now on.

sarbar
07-12-2010, 17:55
I have never heard of the "FBC method"

Do check out the food section and or visit my website - it will explain it all.
http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bag-cooking-101

I have been a long time user of PIG items - being able to buy small amounts of powders is helpful for example - where I don't need to go buy 1 lb at a time.

On shipping: buy a big order! Having a well stocked outdoor pantry makes life easy and you can get free shipping that way!

Some meals we have reviewed:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Blog%20Food/flaq4.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Food%20photos/bg4.jpg

Mountain Wildman
07-12-2010, 18:31
Do check out the food section and or visit my website - it will explain it all.
http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-cooking-101/freezer-bag-cooking-101

I have been a long time user of PIG items - being able to buy small amounts of powders is helpful for example - where I don't need to go buy 1 lb at a time.

On shipping: buy a big order! Having a well stocked outdoor pantry makes life easy and you can get free shipping that way!

Some meals we have reviewed:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Blog%20Food/flaq4.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Food%20photos/bg4.jpg

Thanks,
I saved the site to my favorites, Going to read more now, I have started a backpacking food pantry but didn't realize I was doing it until I noticed I had over a half dozen Packit Gourmet, A couple cases of clif bars, and a case of larabars and about 18 packages of noodle sides etc...
It just kinda sneaks up on ya!!:)

sarbar
07-12-2010, 22:57
Heh! That is sooo how it starts!

Speakeasy TN
07-16-2010, 13:05
[QUOTE=Mountain Wildman;1030201]Fourth of July Camping Trip.
After getting my campsite all set up I broke open my Packit Gourmet Austintacious Tortilla Soup for dinner, Like all of the Packit Gourmet meals it had several separate components which are mixed together to form the final product, Same as when preparing a meal at home. The soup was awesome, Chicken that had the appropriate texture and consistency, broth and medley of vegetables with a packet of True Lime Powder, a packet of Tobasco sauce and a small bag of tortilla chip pieces. Note: With the entire packet of tobasco sauce added it was belly warming to say the least. (Did not take pictures of this item) Sorry!!

Based on this glowing review I ordered about $60 in assorted goodies from Packit. The Tortilla soup appeared to be a favorite so I tried it first, WOW doesn't quite cut it! This "trail food" was better than most of my home meals. I can honestly say that I would rather have this soup than a lot of restaurant choices. PS I halved the hot sauce and lime and my nose only ran a little!! GO EASY!

I probably over cooked it a bit but have to experiment with the alcohol stove. 2 tablespoons let it cook for 10 minutes without using all the fuel. I let it stand for 10 minutes and the beans were extra soft.

As I eat my way thru the box, I'll post more. Thanks for the heads up on this Wildman. It will be in my drop boxes next year!

Mountain Wildman
07-16-2010, 13:47
[QUOTE=Mountain Wildman;1030201]Fourth of July Camping Trip.

Based on this glowing review I ordered about $60 in assorted goodies from Packit. The Tortilla soup appeared to be a favorite so I tried it first, WOW doesn't quite cut it! This "trail food" was better than most of my home meals. I can honestly say that I would rather have this soup than a lot of restaurant choices. PS I halved the hot sauce and lime and my nose only ran a little!! GO EASY!

I probably over cooked it a bit but have to experiment with the alcohol stove. 2 tablespoons let it cook for 10 minutes without using all the fuel. I let it stand for 10 minutes and the beans were extra soft.

As I eat my way thru the box, I'll post more. Thanks for the heads up on this Wildman. It will be in my drop boxes next year!

Lamarr,
I am glad you like it so far, I have enjoyed the meals as well, I have a 150 dollar order geared up to go so I get free shipping, I agree, They are better than some of my home cooked meals, I really loved the Market Pasta Puttanesca, So much so that I have 3 of the 2 person meals on my next order. Oh, And I used the whole lime packet and the whole tobasco packet as well when I made the Austintacious Tortilla Soup!! :eek: <=This is how I looked by the time I was done eating the soup.:D

Speakeasy TN
07-16-2010, 14:07
[QUOTE=lamarr;1032304]

Lamarr,
I am glad you like it so far, I have enjoyed the meals as well, I have a 150 dollar order geared up to go so I get free shipping, I agree, They are better than some of my home cooked meals, I really loved the Market Pasta Puttanesca, So much so that I have 3 of the 2 person meals on my next order. Oh, And I used the whole lime packet and the whole tobasco packet as well when I made the Austintacious Tortilla Soup!! :eek: <=This is how I looked by the time I was done eating the soup.:D

I imagine the whole packet "would cure what ails ya!" I pity the Giardia that got caught in that! I'm headed to Mt. Rainier this week, so the reviews will be slow coming, but I'm definitely planning on adding a big order to the food stockpile for March!

Speakeasy TN
07-30-2010, 23:03
OK had the tropic fusion smoothie today. Good stuff. I suspect that this drink would be a pretty filling start to the day. I'll have to try one when I'm out in the field, but the first impression is that this is another keeper in their line of foods.

Speakeasy TN
08-09-2010, 20:18
Next in line is the chicken and dumplings. I'd have to agree with a previous post that says it more of a chicken noodle soup. BUT here's the thing, it's a really really good chicken noodle! Lots of filling stuff in this soup and the chicken really is chicken. It's good stuff. I normally want something more filling than soup for dinner but this meal and a bagel to soak up the goodness would fit the bill nicely!

Can it really all be this good? We'll see. There's plenty more in the box!!!!

Mountain Wildman
08-09-2010, 22:01
Next in line is the chicken and dumplings. I'd have to agree with a previous post that says it more of a chicken noodle soup. BUT here's the thing, it's a really really good chicken noodle! Lots of filling stuff in this soup and the chicken really is chicken. It's good stuff. I normally want something more filling than soup for dinner but this meal and a bagel to soak up the goodness would fit the bill nicely!

Can it really all be this good? We'll see. There's plenty more in the box!!!!

Glad to hear it!!
I just ordered the Chicken and Dumplings and quite a bit more.

dcmidnight
08-10-2010, 08:09
Would you guys say the 1 person portions are really large enough for one hungry hiker? As I've been experiementing with some of the store bought stuff (vs make your own) it seems that "1 person" servings tend to run a little small.

Also, would most of their meals be cookable in a Jetboil 1L (with the pan)? I gave up on my Pocket Rocket this year in favor of something easier to carry.

Thanks guys, this is a great thread!

Mountain Wildman
08-10-2010, 10:34
Would you guys say the 1 person portions are really large enough for one hungry hiker? As I've been experiementing with some of the store bought stuff (vs make your own) it seems that "1 person" servings tend to run a little small.

Also, would most of their meals be cookable in a Jetboil 1L (with the pan)? I gave up on my Pocket Rocket this year in favor of something easier to carry.

Thanks guys, this is a great thread!
DC,
Although I have not been able to do any hiking lately due to a back injury that is almost rehabilitated, I have been out on a couple camping trips and I found the portion to be very satisfying, I am a good eater and my 285 lbs. is proof of that. I am not a one cheeseburger guy, Usually 2 cheeseburgers, a fish sandwich, fries and a large coke hit the spot. I, so far have tried the Market Pasta Puttanesca and the Bangers and Mash meals and my appetite was satisfied. This picture is of a single serving portion in my 6 1/2" Frypan lid, I did not go looking for more to eat when I was done and I eat until I am not hungry anymore. You may not be bursting at the seams from one of their meals but I would think you would be satisfied as well, Even if you were still hungry it would only be alittle and the quality of the food is excellent, Restaurant quality.
A 1 Liter pot should work, My pot is 1.9 Liters and the food wasn't even at the halfway point.
Their portions are larger than the typical envelope meal.

Chif
08-10-2010, 11:29
It doesn't appear that any one ever answered the question, "can the one person meals be prepared freezer bag style."

In other words, can the ingredients be put into one or two freezer bags and add boiling water to complete preparation without any dirty dishes? I love this style of cooking and I have heard good reviews of Packit Gormet products from other sources as well. Has anyone prepared the one person meals using this method?

Mountain Wildman
08-10-2010, 13:06
It doesn't appear that any one ever answered the question, "can the one person meals be prepared freezer bag style."

In other words, can the ingredients be put into one or two freezer bags and add boiling water to complete preparation without any dirty dishes? I love this style of cooking and I have heard good reviews of Packit Gormet products from other sources as well. Has anyone prepared the one person meals using this method?

Chif,
Yes they can be prepared in that manner, The various ingredients of the meals come in separate zip top bags and the main/outer bag is a zip top as well, It is heat sealed, I believe, and you tear off the very top of the outer bag and you then have a very thick/heavy duty zip top bag to use for cooking or to hold the packaging from the meal ingredients for disposal. It is thicker than any zip top bag including the freezer zip tops.
However, Since these are usually multi ingredient meals and not the "just add water" type of meal, some of the components may need to be prepared separately and then combined. The meals I've tried were labeled as Partial Cook in bag, The ingredient zip top bags are the standard style and not super thick like the outer bag, I imagine you could do all of the prep in those bags as well but you would have to be more careful with them. The outer bag is pleated on the bottom and will usually stay in a standing position without collapsing, like a regular zip top bag.
Hope this helps, Feel free to post any further questions and I or another member will answer as best as we can. Or you could even contact Packit Gourmet directly, I'm sure they wouldn't mind helping in any way they could.
P.S. I have done some of the meal prep in the bags, I like doing it also because it cuts down on dish washing which I hate!!
I've added some pictures of ingredients that I mixed in the outer and individual bags rather than dirty an additional bowl.
I've also added a picture of the Diner Deluxe Scrambled Eggs with toastees, It is labeled as a 2 person serving and I couldn't even finish it all, The dish is an MSR Large 8 3/4"

Speakeasy TN
10-29-2010, 06:58
I had the red beans and rice for lunch yesterday. I swear, it was better than any of the mixes available at the grocery store. Just the right amount of spiciness. A sniffle at the end! I still haven't eaten anything from these guys I didn't love.

ec.hiker
12-03-2010, 08:11
Looks like alot of trash to pack out!!

MisplacedMainer
12-03-2010, 08:51

Yea it does. However for the quality of food you're getting I think it'd be worth it.

Speakeasy TN
12-17-2010, 08:22

The trash is empty plastic bags. Maybe a lot of pieces, but almost no volume or weight. Don't be skeeered!

Speakeasy TN
12-24-2010, 08:11
I had the cheddar/jack spread for lunch. It would have taken a lot of crackers. I had enough for 2 bagels. A real good sized lunch.

The flavor on this was excellent but (my first but for this company BTW) it didn't prepare as well as it could. The dehydrated cheese didn't absorb the water in preparation, leaving the spread crunchy. Now I would just add the water in the morning and seal the pouch and hike until lunch. This is my idea of a quick and tasty lunch.

All things equal, this product may be a little overpriced. It's dried shredded cheese and a mayo packet. I'll bet I can pack up 2-3 baggies of a knockoff! I'll save my money for more tortilla soup.

Nizhoni
12-24-2010, 09:21
Hey Ya'll,

Thanks so much for posting this info! I am still prety new to hiking and have been eating Mountian House food on ever trip. So nice to find out that I can actually get better food to take the next time!! Are these meals really heavy to carry? They really look good and can't wait to try them out!!

skinewmexico
12-24-2010, 11:32
They're good, but not as good as Sarbar's FBC food. Besides, anything from Austin has a taint about it.

Speakeasy TN
01-18-2011, 20:29
Hey Ya'll,

Thanks so much for posting this info! I am still prety new to hiking and have been eating Mountian House food on ever trip. So nice to find out that I can actually get better food to take the next time!! Are these meals really heavy to carry? They really look good and can't wait to try them out!!

I'm enjoying this experimenting! I just ordered some more from these guys. I think I'm the most interested in the "Ramen Rescue". It looks like veggies to bulk up the old standby. I ordered dried chicken add to it, hopefully turning boring old noodles into a passable imitation of chicken fried rice! Stay tuned.........;)

sarbar
01-19-2011, 00:01
The meals are heavier than say Mountain House but the taste makes up for the weight (yeah, yeah even the trail cook likes them!). Lets put it this way: I will actually eat the meals when they are made - in most cases when we review commercial trail meals I make them up, shoot photos, do the sniff test - get the hungry 13 year old to chow down and at most eat 1-2 spoonfuls (most meals are just too salty and flavorless). The PIG meals though are very tasty. Sometimes heavy is worth it - if you don't have the time or desire to make up your own meals! :)

Speakeasy TN
01-21-2011, 19:20
The meals are heavier than say Mountain House but the taste makes up for the weight (yeah, yeah even the trail cook likes them!). Lets put it this way: I will actually eat the meals when they are made - in most cases when we review commercial trail meals I make them up, shoot photos, do the sniff test - get the hungry 13 year old to chow down and at most eat 1-2 spoonfuls (most meals are just too salty and flavorless). The PIG meals though are very tasty. Sometimes heavy is worth it - if you don't have the time or desire to make up your own meals! :)

If I had started experimenting with the dehydrator earlier I would love to have tried the Sarbar library of eats! Folks you may not know it but this is like Julia Child giving PIG a thumbs up!:eek: