PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 65

Simba
06-13-2010, 17:57
Just packed up my Osprey Atmos 65 and think I could actually have gone with an Atmos 50; but the extra room is always nice. Got my pack weight, minus full water of two nalgenes and about a pound of gorp, to 27pds. So...about 35 pds with seven days of food and full water, not bad. I'll have to figure in half a pound for meds too. Everything I read online says this pack is pretty good. I am used to my old Lowe Alpine Contour III. Though, the guy at Campmor didn't like the Atmos pack and seemed even less interested in a proper fitting (the reason I drove an hour and a half to get there, grrr.. Paramus, NJ). Anyway, fit it myself. Moved the weight bags they put in out of the sleeping bag compartment for a proper fit, moved the compression straps into their proper position (they were over the water bottle compartments), added ten pounds more (they only would put in 25?) and commenced walking around the store for half an hour or more. Took my time looking over the newer models of Lowe Alpine (the Appalachian model is just a revised Contour III with slight changes to the back support) and decided to go with the Osprey; got a new water filter too, just because my old Pur was ten years old. Enjoying the breathable back support on the pack, also helps keep crap from poking you if something isn't right that one day. Well...My 2¢ on this one.

Peace,
Rye

Simba
06-13-2010, 17:59
Oh, and the new green color of the Osprey Atmos isn't as putrid (in person) as the older model color green apple or whatever that color was.

Mountain Wildman
06-13-2010, 18:02
I wish you many happy hiking miles, May the wind be at your back and never break in your face.:D
I've heard a lot of good things about the Osprey backs.
Good luck with it!!!

Big Dawg
06-13-2010, 21:37
I've owned the 65 for several years,,,, sweet pack! Very comfortable!

Ol Mole
06-14-2010, 05:52
I have both a 50 and 65. Both are a comfort to wear. My 65 weighed in at 31 lbs for 5 days of food and 3 liters of water. I am not an ultralite hiker as I like to carry some "creature comforts" in my older years. Happy trails with your new pack.

ExosC3
07-14-2010, 22:12
hey man, i wish i saw this thread even sooner...

i was at campmor tonight and tried on the Atmos 65. I have the Exos 58 which is smaller and lighter but maxes out at 35lbs. the Atmos is good to 50 so I wanted to upgrade...so for like the 10th time, i try it on, look it through (yes the campmor guys HATE the osprey airspeed packs, donno why)...so I end up not getting anything at all, which is rare. I get home, walk inside and see a Mountain Gear catalog on my table. on the cover, is the Atmos 65 ON SALE for $169 free shipping...

i bought it right away, i havnt seen them that price anywhere...its nice to support campmor, but for the service you got, maybe you should return and save 29% lol

slowandlow
07-15-2010, 10:39
hey man, i wish i saw this thread even sooner...

i was at campmor tonight and tried on the Atmos 65. I have the Exos 58 which is smaller and lighter but maxes out at 35lbs. the Atmos is good to 50 so I wanted to upgrade...

I have owned an Atmos 65 for 4 years now and have about 1500 hiking miles on it. While it is a very comfortable pack and I have been very happy with it, I do not think you will be very happy carrying 50 lbs in it, as the padding on the shoulder straps and hip belt are minimal.

ExosC3
07-15-2010, 11:16
I have owned an Atmos 65 for 4 years now and have about 1500 hiking miles on it. While it is a very comfortable pack and I have been very happy with it, I do not think you will be very happy carrying 50 lbs in it, as the padding on the shoulder straps and hip belt are minimal.
i dont plan to go anywhere beyond 42-45. i figured as much though since my exos is the same way.

ExosC3
07-15-2010, 11:17
by the way, they redesigned the pack in 2009 and beefed it up a bit

Simba
07-15-2010, 11:26
you can find some sweet deals on sierratradingpost too; usually last years models. good luck with the pack, love mine and leaving in two days. I don't go over 35pds due to some creature comforts too.

grayfox
07-15-2010, 14:04
I had a 65 for a while but found the corners of the frame cut ino my hips. I went with a 50 and that is ok. I like the air space and putting my water in the open space.

If you find that you sometimes have a heavy load and the frame bothers you, take a small piece of foam pad-4X9 inches and tape or stitch it to the bottom middle of the pack in line with the frame bottom. It will give the frame a small amount of clearance from your hip bones and you can remove it as the pack lightens.

Harrison Bergeron
07-15-2010, 19:32
I bought my Atmos 65 for the AT hike I'm working up to for next year. I've had it out for a few of weeks so far on various trails close to home. It's an amazing pack. I've never had a pack that distributed the weight so well, and it's wonderful to not feel like you've got a sweaty rag stuck to your back all day. Even at the end of a 15 mile day, I'm just tired -- not desperate to get the damn thing off me. If I have a complaint it's only that it's so huge. At 40 pounds it still looks half empty.

Speaking of which, I'd sure like to see a REAL gear list that comes out under 40 for a week's provisions, winter gear, tent, decent pad, and a gallon of water. Every time I add up someone's 30 pound list, half of it seems to be missing. What's the trick? Helium?

The other guy's suggestion about extra padding is exactly what I do. I have a couple of little round foam car wax applicators that I made polyester covers for. I just stick 'em under whatever needs a little more padding at the moment.

ExosC3
07-15-2010, 19:47
I bought my Atmos 65 for the AT hike I'm working up to for next year. I've had it out for a few of weeks so far on various trails close to home. It's an amazing pack. I've never had a pack that distributed the weight so well, and it's wonderful to not feel like you've got a sweaty rag stuck to your back all day. Even at the end of a 15 mile day, I'm just tired -- not desperate to get the damn thing off me. If I have a complaint it's only that it's so huge. At 40 pounds it still looks half empty.

Speaking of which, I'd sure like to see a REAL gear list that comes out under 40 for a week's provisions, winter gear, tent, decent pad, and a gallon of water. Every time I add up someone's 30 pound list, half of it seems to be missing. What's the trick? Helium?

The other guy's suggestion about extra padding is exactly what I do. I have a couple of little round foam car wax applicators that I made polyester covers for. I just stick 'em under whatever needs a little more padding at the moment.

i agree man...i have some lightweigth stuff but always seem to hit 35lbs easily with very little extra crap if any...this trip im taking 6L of water so thats 13 pounds right there..

The Old Chief
07-15-2010, 20:01
Unless you just want the extra weight, there's no reason to carry a gallon or 6L of water on the AT. Most of the time you'll easily get by with 1L. And rarely do you need more than 4 days of food for any section of the AT. Maybe a little more in the Smokies or the 100 mile wilderness but there are viable options for those sections also.

Sassafras Lass
08-11-2010, 12:25
My husband ordered the Atmos 65 from Harper's Ferry Outfitter Sunday evening for $189.95 + shipping (around $11.50) http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com/servlet/the-5433/Osprey-Atmos-65-Backpack/Detail It's the current model, only in Med or Lg in Graphite. But what a steal, they're going for far more than that, and unfortunately the Mountain Gear link provided earlier in this thread has gone back up to $239.

Be forewarned - the webpage says it's in stock; however, they sold the last one in the store and are waiting for a shipment to come in, they say it will be a week. But it's a good deal on a great pack if you have patience. :) I've ordered his counterpart, almost - the Aura 50, which will be on the porch when I get home from work - can't wait! Will post hubby's assessment when his arrives . . . .

scott bonder
09-29-2010, 15:02
Thanks for all the info. Eyeing this pack right now and this was a helpful thread.

nawlunz
10-02-2010, 11:47
pack"...I see that on the website, but there is no precise definition on what this means/

nawlunz
10-14-2010, 08:45
pack"...I see that on the website, but there is no precise definition on what this means/

I now understand what they mean as opposed to the traditional pack.

jdb
10-14-2010, 09:37
I got mine in the early spring. I special ordered the green and I am really happy with it. It does get a little uncomfortable when the weight gets above 40#s but that only happens once in a great while.

Sassafras Lass
10-27-2010, 12:23
DH loves it - fits him like a glove, he couldn't be happier. :) We're going to the Smokies this weekend for our last big hike before we leave for Springer in March and he'll try it properly, but on hikes in our hilly backwoods he's been very pleased. Doesn't have a single complaint about it.

Gator 65
10-27-2010, 12:50
Osprey is a great pack. I started with an Osprey Aether 70 which was too long for me (also fitted by a disinterested store employee in jacksonville . Fl.). I went to the Harpers Ferry Outfitters when I hit harpers Ferry and I picked up a Medium length Aether 70. The last half of the trail was so much more comfortable when needing to carry extra weight (100 mile wilderness). Osprey packs can take a beating (falls , sliding down granite faces, etc.) and the straps never seem to stretch out of shape

hikingshoes
10-27-2010, 13:41
I have the Osprey 58 and i love it.I had a old,i mean old RODD backpack and it was 5lbs with not gear in it.35lbs is the most ive had in it and i wouldnt want to go any more,but who wants more!!HS

Walkintom
10-31-2010, 16:12
This is the pack I have as well and after a half dozen day hikes with it loaded between 20-35 lbs I must say that it's pretty awesome. The comfort level is there.

I am a little concerned about the lack of padding on the straps and belts, but not much. I figure most of the issue there is MY padding. Plus I can always put something between those and me if those areas get tender after a few days.

drastic_quench
10-31-2010, 20:28
Two years ago I picked up a 65 (red and gray) on Ebay for about $120 by sniping it - bidding at the last moment. Also the price was that low just by a fluke, as that auction somehow went under most people's radar.

Anyways, great bag. The curved plate is a literal learning curve though. My one complain is that is that there's no easy way to fit a Clip Flashlight 2 man tent in it. I have to pack most of the components separately, when it seems that the tent packs together plenty small enough with other bags. That tent is actually an Ultra Flash which was a one-off that Sierra Designs only made for a year. I picked it up here a couple years back too.

nawlunz
01-15-2011, 13:14
Just curious as to how well it fit. Looks like the lower compartment would be ideal, but with the weight of the food, perhaps a vertical storage in the main compartment works...can someone shed some light on this?

hikerboy57
01-15-2011, 14:36
Two years ago I picked up a 65 (red and gray) on Ebay for about $120 by sniping it - bidding at the last moment. Also the price was that low just by a fluke, as that auction somehow went under most people's radar.

Anyways, great bag. The curved plate is a literal learning curve though. My one complain is that is that there's no easy way to fit a Clip Flashlight 2 man tent in it. I have to pack most of the components separately, when it seems that the tent packs together plenty small enough with other bags. That tent is actually an Ultra Flash which was a one-off that Sierra Designs only made for a year. I picked it up here a couple years back too.
I have the same pack, took out the separator for the sleeping bag compartment, my gear fits much better.

mikec
01-15-2011, 15:04
I've had an Atmos 65 for over 3 years now. It's a great weekend pack and fits well. The only problem that I have had is that the strap fasteners that hold the pack closed pop open if the top of the pack is lifted. I've never had another pack do this. Should I replace the fasteners? Has anyone else had this issue? Just curious.

Big Dawg
01-15-2011, 17:39
I've had an Atmos 65 for over 3 years now. It's a great weekend pack and fits well. The only problem that I have had is that the strap fasteners that hold the pack closed pop open if the top of the pack is lifted. I've never had another pack do this. Should I replace the fasteners? Has anyone else had this issue? Just curious.

I've owned my Atmos 65 for about 3 1/2 yrs. Never had the problem you're talking about happen to me. Not sure what to tell you. Have you spoken to Osprey?