PDA

View Full Version : The Devil Went Down To Georgia`

Mother Natures Son
06-13-2010, 18:47
Passed two South bounders the other day. They said they were going from DE Water Gap to Georgia. Heat index is well over 93 degrees here in PA. What are the chances of anyone making it, (all the way) in this heat? Has anyone seen or heard of such fool hardy things before? :sun

The Old Fhart
06-13-2010, 18:53
Both 1998 and 1999 were drought years with extremely high temps and a lot of hikers made it all the way those years. It can be done.

Lone Wolf
06-13-2010, 19:21
this ain't hot. i remember a few years hikin' around northern va. with temps over 100 deg.

Speakeasy TN
06-13-2010, 20:53
I'm in SE Tennesee, about 2 hrs from Springer. 90 degrees today....... still not enough to stop the training hikes for next year!
Why would you think the heat would be much different for these guys coming south and the NOBO's in Virginia?

shelterbuilder
06-13-2010, 21:10
When the temperature soars, you just have to hike a little smarter...start as early in the day as possible...take a mid-day siesta..."camel-up" every chance that you get...hike later into the evening....

There are lots of different ways to cope with the heat -- "just do it"...and if they are determined, they'll do just that!

Sierra Echo
06-13-2010, 21:22
I climbed blood mountain today. I was fine. Wish I had taken more water, but I lived.

Ox97GaMe
06-13-2010, 22:09
Yep, there were a lot of triple digit days when I hiked thru VA and PA. you just get used to it. It isnt any different really than all the hikers that are out in the winter. Many say they wont make it because it is too cold. you probably arent going to complete a thru hike if you only hike on days that are ideal temperature (and no rain or snow).

earlyriser26
06-14-2010, 06:45
Hot, but can be done if you are in shape and just hydro up. I had to quit a hike last year ( the first in over 40 years) because we were in VA and it was close to 100. Heat stroke is nothing to mess with.

Gray Blazer
06-14-2010, 08:43
Try loading watermelons in N FL 12 hours a day everyday for the month of June. Hiking in the mountains is a breeze. As a matter of fact, that's what we FL hikers consider a vacation. I'd like to jump in a mountain stream right now.

Ender
06-14-2010, 09:21
Both 1998 and 1999 were drought years with extremely high temps and a lot of hikers made it all the way those years. It can be done.

Yeah, the summer of '98 was dry, but April there were only 2 days that it didn't #$%^&* rain on me.

Still, as far as the heat, when you're out in it day and night, you get used to it. Sure it's hot, but it's nothing like stepping out of an AC'd building into the heat. Your body adjusts to it. Just take it a little easier and listen to your body when it needs to take a break and it's really no big deal. :sun

DapperD
06-14-2010, 17:59
Passed two South bounders the other day. They said they were going from DE Water Gap to Georgia. Heat index is well over 93 degrees here in PA. What are the chances of anyone making it, (all the way) in this heat? Has anyone seen or heard of such fool hardy things before? :sunAs has been said, the heat is something that one (assuming one that is healthy) can acclimate to somewhat after a certain amount of time. It will always be hot, but one can get slightly more used to it. This is not to say one can not be overcome with heatstroke, etc...but just that being out in it day after day one can get somewhat more used to it where their bodies will get slightly more tolerant of it. I also think it is somewhat easier for younger folks than older ones. And they would still be wise to have and consume plenty of fluids and to avoid hiking and the sun during the hottest part of the day.:-?

JDCool1
06-14-2010, 18:12
Hiking in the heat calls for planning. PCT and CDT hikers run into this all the time going South to North and the South bounders catch it in the end.

Graywolf
06-14-2010, 19:21
You guys are complaining about 90* temps?? here in Texas, it can easily soar upwards and beyond 105* this time of year.. I would love to be in 90* temps.. Come to think about it, temps are much cooler in the mountains anyway, so whats your bickering??

Graywolf

Sierra Echo
06-14-2010, 19:30
Texas has dry heat. Georgia doesn't.

Ender
06-14-2010, 20:10

That depends on where you are in Texas. In Houston, the humidity can get to 100% in the summer. It's pretty awful. :p

Sierra Echo
06-14-2010, 20:11
That depends on where you are in Texas. In Houston, the humidity can get to 100% in the summer. It's pretty awful. :p

Really?
I had a friend who was stationed at Ft Hood and she said it was nothing like home!

ChinMusic
06-14-2010, 20:33
Texas didn't see its population explode until air conditioning. Houston has an oppressive heat index in summer, one of the worst in the country.

You gotta get to the western basin for the dry heat.

The Solemates
06-14-2010, 20:46
went for a run earlier today. 101 degrees and 94% humidity. 93 in the mountains aint nothin..

Graywolf
06-14-2010, 20:51

You must be thinking about far west Texas where there is very little water. I live in Dallas, and like Houston, humidity can get up to 100% here too, thinks to the moisture coming up from the Gulf..There is no escaping the humid heat here...

Graywolf

Graywolf
06-14-2010, 20:53
Oh, by the way, last year, in August I hiked the 30 miles from Springer to Neals. It was 105* here in Dallas, it barely got over 85* in the mountains in Georgia when I was there.. I was lovin it....

Graywolf

Sierra Echo
06-14-2010, 20:57
Oh, by the way, last year, in August I hiked the 30 miles from Springer to Neals. It was 105* here in Dallas, it barely got over 85* in the mountains in Georgia when I was there.. I was lovin it....

Graywolf

Its usually cooler up in the mountains then here.
I live about 30-40 miles north of Atlanta.

Graywolf
06-14-2010, 21:16
Its usually cooler up in the mountains then here.
I live about 30-40 miles north of Atlanta.

I felt the difference when I got off the bus in Atlanta...Seems the temp averages for Atlanta and Dallas is about the same..I loved it once I got into the Mountains..

One bad thing about metropolitan areas is that the concrete traps alot of the heat making it seem hotter then it really is, and it also dosnt help the humidity any either. I can be in Dallas and sweating my arse off, but as soon as I get out into the country side the air really takes a turn for the better...You really can feel the differance..

wpbucher
06-18-2010, 12:51
So what is the status of water availability from Springer to Neels Gap? Are any of the springs listed on the map and guidebooks dry? Any inforamation is appreciated.