PDA

View Full Version : Hike for Hope

HikeForHope
06-14-2010, 08:37
:-? My family and i are part of a charity event called Hike for Hope 2011. hikeforhope2011.org
And in 2011 we plan to thru-hike the AP with our kids- will be 7 and 2years old. We're practicing now and have make some alternate plans if needed for the kids and I. But we'd really like to accomplish this, what can we do to prepare? (Constructive Please) :confused:
Thanks!

Lone Wolf
06-14-2010, 08:41
you won't make many miles daily with a 2 year old

HikeForHope
06-14-2010, 08:48
Oh, the 2 year old will be in a carry pack along with a few othw things. On one of our backs. We're both trying it out now to see who it works on best. We know we could carry more needed items if this wasn't needed but there is no way we could make it far with out this.

jlore
06-14-2010, 09:32
I think that it would be too dangerous to hike with a 2 year old on in a carrier. what if you fall with the child.

Lone Wolf
06-14-2010, 09:35
you won't make many miles daily with a 2 year old

or with a 7 year old. you'll be carrying 1 child plus most of both children's stuff plus your own gear. hmmmm.

Pedaling Fool
06-14-2010, 09:36
I think that it would be too dangerous to hike with a 2 year old on in a carrier. what if you fall with the child.
True, but falling during a thru-hike is not a question of "if", rather, "When".

Slo-go'en
06-14-2010, 09:49
...we plan to thru-hike the AP with our kids- will be 7 and 2 years old.

Do you mean the AT? If so, you really haven't given this any serious thought as to what it will involve have you? Taking a 2 yr old on a thru-hike is a really stupid idea and could result in child welfare issues and the child being taken away from you.

I'd wait about 10 years on this plan....

Feral Bill
06-14-2010, 10:45
With you carrying the two year old (an iffy proposition for very long) and the seven year old carrying very little, your husband gets to carry four peoples food, water, fuel, and gear. If you go crazy ultralight that gives him a minimum sixty pound pack.

You might want to try a week long trial run this summer.

Tuckahoe
06-14-2010, 10:52
I can tell you from daily experience that 2 year olds and 7 year olds can barely make it through an outdoor museum experience. They are whooped in a matter of a few hours. I dont think its a good idea to subject them to a thru-hike.

Namaste
06-14-2010, 11:07
I had a great experience hiking with a 2 year old on my back in Arches NP in Utah until we stopped to take pictures. She decided she had enough of the pack and protested (yikes, the memories). I wouldn't attempt the AT with a 2 year old, no way, no how. Now she's 17 and my favorite backpacking partner.

Sierra Echo
06-14-2010, 11:08
I was hiking on blood mountain yesterday and came across a dad who had been hiking with his two sons. One who i would estimate was under 5 was sleeping in his dads arms and the other one who was maybe 6 or 7 just kinda looked dazed.

Lostone
06-14-2010, 11:14
Plan a charity hike????

What percentage of the donations are going to fund the actual hike?????

You mention Practicing but do not mention how????

Elaborate on exactly what you are doing to practice,

As mentioned I think this is a bad idea, wait 5 years till the youngest is 7 and the oldest is 12, you may have a fighting chance to hike some of it.

Mrs Baggins
06-14-2010, 11:58
I run a hiking group for women and I do not allow children. Besides the fact that the other ladies want a day free from kids and to enjoy the adult companionship of other women, I will not risk the liabilities, distractions, and probably injuries that could happen. Falling is a very real possibility. Then there's sunburn, bugs, dehydration. How about the 2 year old's toilet habits? Trained? Something that is as disruptive to the child's routine as a thru-hike is very likely to put her/him right back into diapers. And if that happens - how are you going to deal with diapers? And the resultant rashes? How on earth will you keep the child clean enough? On a child that young all dirt and sweat left on their sensitive skin can cause painful rashes. Ear infections? Bad colds? Some liquid antibiotics need refrigeration once they're opened - how are you going to keep them cool? And you have no idea if the kids are allergic to bee stings until they happen.....people get stung on the trail. How about the non-stop crying and temper tantrums from being overtired, hungry, thirsty, boredom....no one in the shelters or other camp areas wants to put up with that - period. It's bad enough we get that from adults! ;) You really need to stop this train and back it up. Any visions you might have of some sunshine-and-butterflies walk in the outdoors, being the "natural" family and all of that....it's delusional at best, and dangerous at worst.

Yes, I do have kids - grown up now. No way on earth I would have tried something like a long hike with either of them before the youngest was at least 8, preferably 10 or 12, and able to follow all directions, understand what to do in an emergency, be fully vocal and know how to get help if necessary, understand that they could not bolt all of their food in one sitting, understand about rationing water if necessary, know how to use a privy or dig a proper hole.........there's just so much involved.

M1 Thumb
06-14-2010, 11:58
I would put more thought into this venture with the kids. For example, look at the logistics of hiking in hot weather. A normal adult requires 1 to 2 gallons of water/day when exerting themselves in hot weather. There are places on the AT where water sources are not reliable and you may have to pack a days worth of water with you. This would require your group of 4 to carry at least 4 gallons of water at minimum (the mule of the group will probably drink at least 2 gallons by himself). 4 gallons of water weighs roughly 32 pounds. One of you will be carrying the 2 year old and probably the 7 year old after 5 or 6 miles of hard hiking. The other one will be carrying everything else (big family tent, 4 sleeping bags, clothes, water, food, stove, cooking equipment, .......)

Go out for a long and challenging day hike this week when its hot and just carry what you need for that day. At the end of the day imagine what it will be like doing that for 5 months while packing 80 lbs. of gear.

Lone Wolf
06-14-2010, 12:30
Plan a charity hike????

As mentioned I think this is a bad idea, wait 5 years till the youngest is 7 and the oldest is 12, you may have a fighting chance to hike some of it.

http://hikeforhope2011.org/HikeforHope.aspx

hellomolly
06-14-2010, 13:44
Well if the book "Southbound" is any indication, it's been done, and with more children than you are bringing. It sounds like it will be very difficult but I'm sure it can be done, and done safely and responsibly. Don't really have any advice to give, though, because I've never hiked with a kid... So... good luck!

Feral Bill
06-14-2010, 13:47
http://hikeforhope2011.org/HikeforHope.aspx

Thanks LW. Looks like a worthy cause but a really bad idea.

Mrs Baggins
06-14-2010, 13:56
Thanks LW. Looks like a worthy cause but a really bad idea.

Agreed. Excellent cause, but for adults and kids old enough to handle it.

Sierra Echo
06-14-2010, 13:56
Maybe you could leave the kids with their grandparents?

jesse
06-14-2010, 14:04
I think your poll is flawed. No selection for a positive experience. Only those with negative experiences can participate. Also you don't quantify the length and duration of the trip.

I think this would be a fun trip, until the second day. 7 y/os get bored easily, then they get cranky.

fiddlehead
06-14-2010, 14:30
Obviously, you must have a ton of experience before setting out on an epic journey like this. You didn't mention how much. Maybe you could tell us.

How about the kids?
Are they happy while hiking?.
I would think it's tough to keep them going and not stopping a lot.
I know my 4 year old prefers to stop more than I like to.

I'd like to hear more about your "alternate plans" for the kids. And the training you are now doing? Are you hiking up big mountains or using a step machine? (I don't recall many big mountains near Houston but it's been a while) I remember when I used to carry 40-50 lb loads up those GA mountains. You'll probably have to carry a bit more than that!

People have backpacked with kids, younger than yours already. But they had experience and took their time.

Ok, OK, constructive advice: Try reading Cindy Ross' book "Scraping Heaven" about her 5 year long CDT hike with her 2 kids who were 1 and 3 when they started. However, Cindy and her husband Todd, had plenty of experience and used llamas to carry the hundreds of lbs of gear necessary.
Llamas are not allowed on the AT.

Perhaps you should try a horse trip or pack animal trip out west first.
The AT is a tough one.

Good luck!

DapperD
06-14-2010, 17:07
:-? My family and i are part of a charity event called Hike for Hope 2011. hikeforhope2011.org
And in 2011 we plan to thru-hike the AP with our kids- will be 7 and 2years old. We're practicing now and have make some alternate plans if needed for the kids and I. But we'd really like to accomplish this, what can we do to prepare? (Constructive Please) :confused:
Thanks!Your kids are just too young to be brought along. I think this is not a good decision at all.

Lostone
06-14-2010, 23:02
They disappeared, guess they didn't like the responses.

Graywolf
06-15-2010, 00:45
Ive read of several families that did this trip. It could be done. To say kids shouldnt be out doors is keeping the kids from enjoying the out doors..This has been done before..

But as with the other posts, I would like to see more thoughts from you on preperations..

Panzer1
06-15-2010, 00:55
I think you need a plan B:
take the kids for a series of day hikes instead.

Panzer

Panzer1
06-15-2010, 01:00
Plan C:
stay home and find another more practical way to raise awareness for homeless children that does not expose your own children to the dangers of the trail.

Panzer

Panzer1
06-15-2010, 01:15
Plan D:
get a job for 6 months and donate all the money you make to your cause. It dosen't put your kids at risk and you will probably end up with more money.

Panzer

ps: if you do decide to bring the kids, don't forget to bring one of those SPOT emergence 911 devices with you. That way if something happens to one your kids you can just press the button and wait for help will arrive.

fiddlehead
06-15-2010, 06:09
New poll:
1/ Will they start?
2/ Will they make it through Georgia? (if NOBO) to Monson if SOBO?
3/ Will they make it to Damascus? (Hanover)
4/ Will they make it without mishap (hospital/rescue)
5/ Will they try it again whether they make it or not?

sbhikes
06-15-2010, 10:27
I wonder if these are the same people who signed up for the PCT list and said they were going to thru-hike with their baby. They disappeared after getting a lot of negative responses and I've never heard if they tried it or anything.

I don't know anything about children because I've never had children, but my opinion is that the length of the US is a VERY long distance to walk. It's hard enough to keep going all by yourself with nobody whining and complaining at you. Maybe a shorter trail would be more appropriate.

The Hike for Hope folks might enjoy reading Zero Days, a book about a family with a 10 year old girl that hiked the PCT.

Panzer1
06-15-2010, 11:30
Their website is still up. I don't think they are going to change their mind.
They are not going to listen to infidels. :eek:

Panzer

Feral Bill
06-15-2010, 11:46
Ive read of several families that did this trip. It could be done. To say kids shouldnt be out doors is keeping the kids from enjoying the out doors..This has been done before..

But as with the other posts, I would like to see more thoughts from you on preperations..

No one is advocating keeping kids from the outdoors. We are saying that this particular scheme is ill advised.

If people have done this before, that means they were uncommonly lucky (and well prepared), not that it was a good idea that others are likely to succeed at.

sevensixtwo187
06-15-2010, 11:58
How about making positive experiences part of the poll? I enjoy my 12 year old sons companionship immensely while hiking.

Lostone
06-15-2010, 13:02
I backpack weekends with my 8 and 10 year old. The are finally carrying all of their gear. but dad still carrys all the food, tent and stove.

I do like the suggestion of working for six months and then donating that money to charity instead of hiking.

I don't care what the website says it still smells like someone trying to pay for their hike by donations for a cause.

bloodmountainman
06-15-2010, 16:01
Sounds like a very bad idea.

weary
06-15-2010, 17:58
How about making positive experiences part of the poll? I enjoy my 12 year old sons companionship immensely while hiking.
Among my fondest trail memories is climbing halfway to the summit of Katahdin with a three year old. He walked every foot of the way.

But we also spend 6 hours hiking 3.5 miles to Chimney Pond (where we camped for two nights).

Two years later we did the walk again. That time we climbed the mountain over a four day backpack. Also a memorable walk.

But attempting a 2,175 mile backpack with a two year old by a couple who thinks it's the "AP", for an organization that has the total mileage wrong, makes me think this whole thing may be a scam.

Though even if it's legitimate, it's still a bad idea.

Weary

DapperD
06-15-2010, 22:12
Do you mean the AT? If so, you really haven't given this any serious thought as to what it will involve have you? Taking a 2 yr old on a thru-hike is a really stupid idea and could result in child welfare issues and the child being taken away from you.

I'd wait about 10 years on this plan....I would agree with you on this. I would think it would have to be considered tantamount to child endangerment and/or neglect. And if not, then at the very minimum a really dumb, irresponsible thing to do.:mad:

Feral Bill
06-15-2010, 23:15
I would agree with you on this. I would think it would have to be considered tantamount to child endangerment and/or neglect. And if not, then at the very minimum a really dumb, irresponsible thing to do.:mad:

I don't think this would be child abuse. It would most certainly be abuse of the adults. Of course, that's their choice.

Sierra Echo
06-15-2010, 23:24
I wonder if the 2 yr old is even potty trained. People could be discovering poopy diapers on the trail for years!

TD55
06-16-2010, 00:05
These kinds of charities are frustrating. They say that 100% of the funds raised go toward the cause, but the effort turns out to be a public awareness project, hence, part of the cause. It sounds to me like these folks may be raising money to finance their hike. Sad.

weary
06-16-2010, 18:05
These kinds of charities are frustrating. They say that 100% of the funds raised go toward the cause, but the effort turns out to be a public awareness project, hence, part of the cause. It sounds to me like these folks may be raising money to finance their hike. Sad.
Being a bit cynical, I doubt if the poster really exists. The organization may just post these fictional names in hopes of drawing in a batch of $21 plus contributions.

Panzer1
06-16-2010, 18:37
its a bit odd that they went to the trouble to register on white blaze and start a thread about their hike and a poll and then after getting numerous responses they just disappeared. They did not make any response of any kind. :confused:

Panzer

Feral Bill
06-16-2010, 18:51
its a bit odd that they went to the trouble to register on white blaze and start a thread about their hike and a poll and then after getting numerous responses they just disappeared. They did not make any response of any kind. :confused:

Panzer

They asked for "constructive" feedback, and were no doubt disappointed when reality raised its ugly head.

Slo-go'en
06-16-2010, 19:15
They asked for "constructive" feedback, and were no doubt disappointed when reality raised its ugly head.

They got pleanty of constructive feedback, I just hope they pay attention to it!

Lostone
06-16-2010, 20:19
Interestingly enough, did some research. Cannot find their organization listed as a not for profit either at the federal level or state of texas level.

I am by no means an expert but I would think there would be a paper trail of some sort to add an element of legitimacy and accountability.

Panzer1
06-16-2010, 20:26
Interestingly enough, did some research. Cannot find their organization listed as a not for profit either at the federal level or state of texas level.

I am by no means an expert but I would think there would be a paper trail of some sort to add an element of legitimacy and accountability.

try PA or NY.

they seem legit.

Panzer

Appalachian Tater
06-16-2010, 20:35
True, but falling during a thru-hike is not a question of "if", rather, "When".Not just "when", but how often, how hard, on what body parts, how hard, how much pain, and how much injury.

There are a few stretches where it would be nice to dayhike with a toddler and a young child (Grayson Highlands) but many, many other places where it would be difficult and dangerous.

This is possible but just not a good idea. Farm the kids out for the summer with the grandparents or someone else responsible or go to Disney and ride the Mad Hatter Tea Party thing-a-ma-bob all day to raise money for charity. With the money it would take to do the thru-hike you could have a nice vacation at Disney and still donate more money to charity than you would have raised. (Surely you were not expecting the donors to cover your expenses? :mad:)

Panzer1
06-16-2010, 20:45
one way to address concerns of hiking with a 2 yo would be to have vehicle support at every road crossing. The vehicle could carry most of the gear and the children could rest/eat/change diapers at the vehicle.

If the weather got too bad for the children they could be left at the vehicle and the adults could hike on their own. you would need a driver and a nanny to do this.

Just throw lots of money at the problem and it can be done.

Panzer
(of course they could end up spending more money than they collect)

Panzer1
06-16-2010, 20:49
I hope they weren't thinking financing their hike by getting donations from cheap ass thru-hikers. :eek:

Panzer

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:17
Dear sir, Perhaps you should check the laws before you pretend to give advice. By the way, my two year old logged over 400 miles last year with no issues what so ever. Further, the state does not take people's children away for spending time with them and strengthening family bonds. I find your advice pretentious, egocentric and flawed in its very ability to be constructive. If you had read the guidelines for our post, or had the ability to think a logical thought, you would have noticed the part about constructive. I find your comments to be mean spirited and useless. Thanks for nothing! By the way, I logged 8,000+ miles last year, and would never put one of my kids in danger. From this point forward, you should really keep your lack of cognitive ability to yourself.

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:19
Great idea! Love it! We have already set that idea in motion.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2010, 21:19
no way you hiked 8000 miles last year. impossible

Lone Wolf
06-16-2010, 21:21
that's 21 miles per day, every day for 365 days

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:22
one way to address concerns of hiking with a 2 yo would be to have vehicle support at every road crossing. The vehicle could carry most of the gear and the children could rest/eat/change diapers at the vehicle.

If the weather got too bad for the children they could be left at the vehicle and the adults could hike on their own. you would need a driver and a nanny to do this.

Just throw lots of money at the problem and it can be done.

Panzer
(of course they could end up spending more money than they collect)

Thanks for the constructive feed back. We have already put this idea into action.

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:24
Not just "when", but how often, how hard, on what body parts, how hard, how much pain, and how much injury.

There are a few stretches where it would be nice to dayhike with a toddler and a young child (Grayson Highlands) but many, many other places where it would be difficult and dangerous.

This is possible but just not a good idea. Farm the kids out for the summer with the grandparents or someone else responsible or go to Disney and ride the Mad Hatter Tea Party thing-a-ma-bob all day to raise money for charity. With the money it would take to do the thru-hike you could have a nice vacation at Disney and still donate more money to charity than you would have raised. (Surely you were not expecting the donors to cover your expenses? :mad:)

The hike is already been paid for out of my own pocket. Thanks!

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:26

Look again! By the way, we capitalize state names. Thanks!

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:28
no way you hiked 8000 miles last year. impossible
Typo- sorry 800! Almost did it again.

Panzer1
06-16-2010, 21:30
... or had the ability to think a logical thought,...

I bet they are talking about LW :D:D:D

Panzer

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:30

Panzer
Sorry about that, we have very limited access to the internet. Trying right now! :)

Tin Man
06-16-2010, 21:32
Look again! By the way, we capitalize state names. Thanks!

Typo- sorry 800! Almost did it again.

someone uses lower case and you correct them after you make a 1000% error or your mileage. interesting. :-?

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:35
I hope they weren't thinking financing their hike by getting donations from cheap ass thru-hikers. :eek:

Panzer

Funny, no actually we are a religious organization. It's our cheap ass friends we're trying to squeeze funding out of!!! :D Every penny raised for this event goes toward the purchase and operation of housing for unwed mothers and homeless families. As a matter of fact, I am cashing out my retirement to help fund this. I figure I'll never get to retire in this economy anyway. :banana

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:37
someone uses lower case and you correct them after you make a 1000% error or your mileage. interesting. :-?

Touche! :cool:

Panzer1
06-16-2010, 21:37
OK then, lets put all that nasty stuff behind us and talk about your hike plan.

Panzer :welcome

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:39
With you carrying the two year old (an iffy proposition for very long) and the seven year old carrying very little, your husband gets to carry four peoples food, water, fuel, and gear. If you go crazy ultralight that gives him a minimum sixty pound pack.

You might want to try a week long trial run this summer.

Great advice! Thanks

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:40
Obviously, you must have a ton of experience before setting out on an epic journey like this. You didn't mention how much. Maybe you could tell us.

How about the kids?

I'd like to hear more about your "alternate plans" for the kids. And the training you are now doing? Are you hiking up big mountains or using a step machine? (I don't recall many big mountains near Houston but it's been a while) I remember when I used to carry 40-50 lb loads up those GA mountains. You'll probably have to carry a bit more than that!

People have backpacked with kids, younger than yours already. But they had experience and took their time.

Ok, OK, constructive advice: Try reading Cindy Ross' book "Scraping Heaven" about her 5 year long CDT hike with her 2 kids who were 1 and 3 when they started. However, Cindy and her husband Todd, had plenty of experience and used llamas to carry the hundreds of lbs of gear necessary.

The AT is a tough one.

Good luck!

Excellent thoughts! Very much appreciated!:rolleyes:

Lostone
06-16-2010, 21:44
All that and all you can comment on is the fact I didn't capitalize texas.

I still call BS.

Hike, don't hike

I could careless,

I don't believe your now 2 year old has walked 400 miles. maybe rode in a carrier. Day hiking with a kid in a carrier is one thing.

So what your saying is that you have already bought all of your food, all of your gear and all of your shuttles and all of your lodging?????????? A year in advance???????????? A thru hike for a family of 4 would be more than 10k and with kids probably a lot more.

So is your family going to take up all of the shelter space?????? Are you carrying a 4 person tent/???????

800 miles is some pretty decent miles........Where have you been?????

Panzer1
06-16-2010, 21:47

I still call BS.

Hike, don't hike

I could careless,

I don't believe your now 2 year old has walked 400 miles. maybe rode in a carrier. Day hiking with a kid in a carrier is one thing.

So what your saying is that you have already bought all of your food, all of your gear and all of your shuttles and all of your lodging?????????? A year in advance???????????? A thru hike for a family of 4 would be more than 10k and with kids probably a lot more.

So is your family going to take up all of the shelter space?????? Are you carrying a 4 person tent/???????

be nice... there not going to want to talk to us if your rude.. I want to hear what they have to say.

Panzer

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:49

How about the kids?

The AT is a tough one.

Good luck!

I spent 8 years in the Marine Corps, Mountaineering school, lots of long distance humps, along those lines. My wife became interested in hiking around 1999 when we first got married. We hike our local state parks every weekend and have hiked some National, ones: Grand Canyon, Guadalupe... and a very few others. My daughter was with us 75% of our trips last year, my son, around 50%. Thanks for the thoughts! :o

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 21:52
be nice... there not going to want to talk to us if your rude..

Panzer

Seriously, Seriously! Of course he was in a pack 90% of the time. I'm not a drill instructor. "Alright now son, move your twenty pound butt up that butte. Now! Move it! Can I get an Aye Aye Sir?":confused:

Alligator
06-16-2010, 21:54
Thanks!

Dear sir, Perhaps you should check the laws before you pretend to give advice. By the way, my two year old logged over 400 miles last year with no issues what so ever.
....How old is the youngest child, right now (years, months)?

Of those 400 miles, what was the longest mileage day?

Has the youngest child been out overnight? If so, how many nights in a row?

What's the furthest the oldest child has walked in a day as well?

When do you plan on leaving? I suggest a late start to minimize weight, yet you have to consider daily mileage to reach Katahdin before bad weather in the fall.

Sierra Echo
06-16-2010, 21:55
Seriously, Seriously! Of course he was in a pack 90% of the time. I'm not a drill instructor. "Alright now son, move your twenty pound butt up that butte. Now! Move it! Can I get an Aye Aye Sir?":confused:

LOL! Don't forget to make him tote his own squirt gun!

Panzer1
06-16-2010, 21:59
What month are you going to start?

Panzer

TD55
06-16-2010, 22:00
HikeForHope,
As I read it, you are looking for two different things. You are soliciting funds for your charity and you are looking for advice about thru hiking the AT. You need to tell us more about how you are, or will be funding your hike and what kind of experience you and your family have with hiking long distance.

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 22:10

I still call BS.

Hike, don't hike

I could careless,

Call what ever you like! My wife thought this post would be a good idea. She thought surely the great people we've heard so much about who frequent the AT would lend more than diatribes and mean spirited advice. I certainly hope we wont be putting you true AT Hero's out of all the lodging, and yes, I will be carrying that four person tent, although it is more like a solid three person tent. We have figured around 3 grand per person for the trail, so yeah, right there in the 10 grand category. We were thinking about $1.50 a mile or so, per person... We toured the Rockies earlier this year though we were not able to put as many miles on the trail as we had hoped. Last year was our best year yet. We hiked much of our states parks, some great over nights with the kiddo's. Pretty much all of them west of Austin minus Big Bend. That's a few too many to write here but some that really stand out were... Guadalupe, yes I know it is a national, but we arrogant Texans claim every thing in our big ass state. South Llano River State Park. Sorry, had to look up the name, could not remember it. But my God, the river was beautiful. Huntsville State Park, Cooper Lake, Red River, ect.

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 22:12
What month are you going to start?

Panzer
Advice would be welcomed, but around March"ish". Perhaps the first. We figured our southern weather would be a bit milder for the start. would like to finish around October"ish".. Any thought?

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 22:21
HikeForHope,
As I read it, you are looking for two different things. You are soliciting funds for your charity and you are looking for advice about thru hiking the AT. You need to tell us more about how you are, or will be funding your hike and what kind of experience you and your family have with hiking long distance.
Thanks for the question. I am 34, wife 29. We are in better than average shape. We exercise regularly. We are not really trying to get funds from people at this site per-say. Really more of a fact finding tour, you know recon. We would love to raise awareness of your communities homeless and their needs, but, we also appreciate your advice and prayers. Our training has been a lot more weights oriented here recently. We are very seriously considering having a support vehicle follow us 100% of the time and giving the kids loads of time off. We're not trying to kill them, just spend time with them and help them discover what ever it is that keeps us hiking. Thanks for that thought Panzer!!!:)

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 22:23
LOL! Don't forget to make him tote his own squirt gun!
Thanks Sierra Echo. Will do!:)

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 22:27
How old is the youngest child, right now (years, months)?

Of those 400 miles, what was the longest mileage day?

Has the youngest child been out overnight? If so, how many nights in a row?

What's the furthest the oldest child has walked in a day as well?

When do you plan on leaving? I suggest a late start to minimize weight, yet you have to consider daily mileage to reach Katahdin before bad weather in the fall.
These are exactly the questions we need. The longest mile day was around 12 miles March of this year at Huntsville State Park. She walked about 5'ish' of those miles and I carried her most of the rest of the way. We camp often to say the least. The kids love the stars. We live in the Houston area so we have to travel to see those. Thanks for the other thoughts. We appreciate it!

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 22:39
Plan a charity hike????

100% of all donations go toward buying and operating hope-house. Not trying to sound like a jack-ass, but I answer that question about 100 times a day, and still very few give. The hike is already paid for by a generous donation from my blood sweat and tears. No money received from donors even touches my hands. We are 100% legit, and we aim to stay that way. We are a 501 C 3 tax exempt organization. Yes, we are religious. We are currently weight training and well, hiking in full packs. Same old trails, not that much fun, but it beats a tread mill with said pack. Thanks!

weary
06-16-2010, 22:48
A simple google search reveals that HikeforHope is allegedly involved in dozens of different charities, but offers very little other information. No charitable rating organization has ever rated the organization. This whole thing strikes me as very suspicious.

Without a great deal of further information I would ignore this request for information.

Weary

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 22:51
A simple google search reveals that HikeforHope is allegedly involved in dozens of different charities, but offers very little other information. No charitable rating organization has ever rated the organization. This whole thing strikes me as very suspicious.

Without a great deal of further information I would ignore this request for information.

Weary

If your looking for us specifically try: hikeforhope2011.org You can google it, yahoo it, or what ever. Its good to be cautious but not to be rude. We are a 501 C 3 tax exempt charitable organization.

Tinker
06-16-2010, 22:59
Thanks!

I, personally, wouldn't do it with a two year old. Bug bites (and the misery that accompanies them) alone would be torture to such a young one.
Sorry I couldn't be more constructive. Don't make it a nightmare for the kids.

HikeForHope
06-16-2010, 23:01
Thank you all for the advice. It is all very much appreciated. I am unwilling to sift through all the negative to find the nuggets of gold any longer. If you would like to contact me with legitimate information or pearls of wisdom, please write me at: [email protected] In the immortal words of Chevy Chase: Thanks for the bruises, and you can keep the stool sample. This will be the last time I check or respond to any posts on this thread. Again, thank you all for the advice.

Panzer1
06-16-2010, 23:27
Thank you all for the advice. It is all very much appreciated. I am unwilling to sift through all the negative to find the nuggets of gold any longer. If you would like to contact me with legitimate information or pearls of wisdom, please write me at: [email protected] In the immortal words of Chevy Chase: Thanks for the bruises, and you can keep the stool sample. This will be the last time I check or respond to any posts on this thread. Again, thank you all for the advice.

I don't blame them for quieting WB. I don't think they were given a fair chance. I think this is a case of someone coming here for advice and getting only crap. :(

Panzer

DapperD
06-16-2010, 23:27
I run a hiking group for women and I do not allow children. Besides the fact that the other ladies want a day free from kids and to enjoy the adult companionship of other women, I will not risk the liabilities, distractions, and probably injuries that could happen. Falling is a very real possibility. Then there's sunburn, bugs, dehydration. How about the 2 year old's toilet habits? Trained? Something that is as disruptive to the child's routine as a thru-hike is very likely to put her/him right back into diapers. And if that happens - how are you going to deal with diapers? And the resultant rashes? How on earth will you keep the child clean enough? On a child that young all dirt and sweat left on their sensitive skin can cause painful rashes. Ear infections? Bad colds? Some liquid antibiotics need refrigeration once they're opened - how are you going to keep them cool? And you have no idea if the kids are allergic to bee stings until they happen.....people get stung on the trail. How about the non-stop crying and temper tantrums from being overtired, hungry, thirsty, boredom....no one in the shelters or other camp areas wants to put up with that - period. It's bad enough we get that from adults! ;) You really need to stop this train and back it up. Any visions you might have of some sunshine-and-butterflies walk in the outdoors, being the "natural" family and all of that....it's delusional at best, and dangerous at worst.

Yes, I do have kids - grown up now. No way on earth I would have tried something like a long hike with either of them before the youngest was at least 8, preferably 10 or 12, and able to follow all directions, understand what to do in an emergency, be fully vocal and know how to get help if necessary, understand that they could not bolt all of their food in one sitting, understand about rationing water if necessary, know how to use a privy or dig a proper hole.........there's just so much involved.This is just plain common sense, and well said. Nothing more, nothing less. Unless these people have a way to get these children (especially the 2 year old, off of the trail multiple times daily, into some type of clean conditions, and even if they can, this is completely rediculous conditions for a child as young as this to be in for a multiple month hike. Even if these people are legit and with honest integrity(questionable), this still is simply something that is not appropriate to say the least to put a two year old thru. Putting aside the unsanitary daily, dirty conditions. What about the cold, the unbearable days of high heat and humidity, dangerous insects, etc...I mean , how is a two year old supposed to tell you when they don't feel well and need medical intervention, when they become so sick it is too late? Launching a thru-hike enroute with your two year old folks is in my opinion just a little far out for me. Maybe I'm missing something, maybe these two have it figured out, but to me this seems more like instead of being called hike for hope it needs to be relabeled as hope for hike:D.

Panzer1
06-16-2010, 23:38
... Even if these people are legit and with honest integrity(questionable), ...

I think this is exactly why they quit WB. they don't want their integrity questioned by people that didn't take time to get to know them.

Panzer

Jester2000
06-17-2010, 02:49
Welcome to whiteblaze, where everyone is apparently entitled to express their completely uninformed opinion about the character of unknown people asking for advice.

fiddlehead
06-17-2010, 03:47
If they don't take the time to sift through a few pages of posts to find the advice that might help them, they probably won't spend the time to prepare themselves or their children for the hike.
They'll find out the hard way. (like most of us all did)
I wish them luck
If they think THIS website is full of negativity, they should try Thai visa.

jesse
06-17-2010, 04:35

Go on blog, ask for advice, don't like advice given, shoot the messenger.

March 1st departure. Way too cold for a 2 y/o. Borders on stupidity.

Mrs Baggins
06-17-2010, 06:51

We set off on March 15 2007 thinking we'd missed the cold weather....so very very wrong. Two days later it was dripping icy rain and 20 degrees with wind at Gooch Gap. Don't know what the wind chill was but my 25 degree down bag and Patagonia base layers were not enough. I couldn't stop shivering. People woke to iced over tents. And this year there were people up to their knees and hips in snow in places on the trail.

hellomolly
06-17-2010, 07:30

Well in "shooting the messenger," I guess they're just returning the favor, since the majority of the "advice" they received amounted to, "you're stupid, don't bother." Wow, great advice. :rolleyes: Welcome to WB.

I hope they are successful in their endeavor, which is sure to be difficult but is also entirely possible.

I agree that the March 1 start date is probably far too early. Perhaps a flip flop that takes advantage of the most pleasant weather in each section would be better.

Lostone
06-17-2010, 08:37
It was delivery of the initial message.

Instead of coming and posting that we are going to hike the AT for a cause, complete with links, and btw we are taking our 2 And 7 year old along for kicks, please give advice on hiking with kids.........They could have first asked advice on taking the kids.

I still call BS, if they were truly on the stated mission they would not have money to buy gear or take a vacation to the grand canyon to hike.

With charities I am involved in and fundraising, I was completely broke.

max patch
06-17-2010, 09:55
I hope they are successful in their endeavor, which is sure to be difficult but is also entirely possible.

you haven't done a thru so you have no idea if its possible or not.

berkshirebirder
06-17-2010, 11:11
they don't want their integrity questioned by people that didn't take time to get to know them.

where everyone is apparently entitled to express their completely uninformed opinion about the character of unknown people asking for advice.

With all due respect, what planet(s) are you from?

The OP and spouse have no idea what they're heading into, let alone their two young children. They plan to leave

around March"ish". Perhaps the first. We figured our southern weather would be a bit milder for the start.

It's hard to believe a bona fide charitable organization trying to help families would promote this activity. It would be different if the children were older and the parents were well-prepared.

The family has hiked and camped in state and national parks. Why make the leap to a thru-hike on the A.T., where the parents could be accused of putting their children at risk? Sounds like another "reality" television gimmick to me.

hellomolly
06-17-2010, 11:46
you haven't done a thru so you have no idea if its possible or not.

Actually, I do. Get over yourself.

I guess in order for you to believe something can be done, you have to do it yourself. Do you believe hiking Everest can be done? Must not, since I doubt you've done it yourself.

weary
06-17-2010, 12:08
It's not clear to me what Hike For Hope is all about. A Google search reveals many causes being promoted, HIV, housing, hospice, homeless, "wellbeing of women," suicide prevention, India, gay issues, nepal ..... the list seems endless.

I suspect it may be an umbrella agency that sells its name and expertise to a variety of small groups, seeking to raise money.

The group that has posted on White Blaze seems to be a small Christian sect with no apparent qualifications, aside from their faith. Their web site has fundamentalist rhetoric, suggesting it has discovered wiser answers than other churches. I would find it more credible if they had used spell check, and had done a bit more investigation of the Appalachian Trail. The mileage figure they are using is many years old, and been changed almost annually since.

Weary

Panzer1
06-17-2010, 12:29
I suspect it may be an umbrella agency that sells its name and expertise to a variety of small groups, seeking to raise money.

From looking at their website/s I would say that:
"Family Life Ministries" is the name of the church that they belong to.
"Hike For Hope 2011" is the name of a project that 4 members of that church put together to raise money for the homeless.

Panzer

Panzer1
06-17-2010, 12:36

Again, this type of talk is another example of why they quit White Blaze.

Panzer

Panzer1
06-17-2010, 12:39
The OP and spouse have no idea what they're heading into, let alone their two young children.

If people here were more civil, we might have easily talked them out of the idea of hiking with small children and gave them info that they needed about the trail.

Panzer

Lone Wolf
06-17-2010, 12:39
according to posts on Trailplace, they're going to be van supported and will be hiking with other people.

FritztheCat
06-17-2010, 12:45
according to posts on Trailplace, they're going to be van supported and will be hiking with other people.

That's actually good to hear. Hiking with children that young will be extremely challenging and they'll need all the help they can get.

Jester2000
06-17-2010, 12:51

No, it borders on ignorance, which is different. And when you're ignorant of something, asking advice is a good idea. Which they did. And proceeded to get dumped on.

I've lived on a number of planets. Currently I'm residing on Planet Jester. And on Planet Jester, when someone asks for advice on preparation, as in, "we'd really like to accomplish this, what can we do to prepare?" (the original question), people who respond like this:

a really stupid idea
I don't care what the website says it still smells like someone trying to pay for their hike by donations for a cause.
this whole thing may be a scam.
I would think it would have to be considered tantamount to child endangerment and/or neglect.
really dumb, irresponsible
It sounds to me like these folks may be raising money to finance their hike. Sad.
Being a bit cynical, I doubt if the poster really exists.
This whole thing strikes me as very suspicious.
I would ignore this request for information.
integrity(questionable)
I still call BS
Sounds like another "reality" television gimmick to me.

. . . aren't exactly following up on whiteblaze's description of itself, which includes such phrases as:

We want to share the wonder and the beauty of the AT to any that would like to learn about this awe inspiring Trail.

No one person’s experiences are any better or worse than any one else’s. Here we think that everyone’s dreams, from hiking that first mile to finishing the climb at Mt. Katahdin, is a dream worth sharing.

It is a site that wants to make you feel welcome.

We want you to always feel you as a hiker matter.

Come in, join us, share your experiences, and let us answer your questions. Everyone’s opinions, dream and experiences matters to us.

We will do our best to keep this environment friendly for all.

Personally, if I were a moderator, I'd delete this thread entirely, which is a rare thing for me to say. It's one thing to try and give someone a dose of reality when they don't know what they're up against. It's another thing entirely, on a thread asking for advice, to opine that someone is stupid, a bad parent, and a con artist.

Normally, I don't even like it when threads are closed. But I would delete this thread because:
1) the original poster has stated they're not going to check it (thus making its purpose moot).
2) the existence of this thread (and the abuse suffered by the original poster) makes it less likely that other new members will ask questions, for fear of being treated in the same manner
3) this thread is an embarrassment and the sort of thing that hurts the reputation of this site.