PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Katahdin?

Alaskanhkr23
06-14-2010, 12:17
I will be camping Katahdin Stream, In a Lean-to. Me and my Girlfriend would like to Hike up Katahdin, HOW HARD IS IT? How Long Does it take? Gear wise what should i take?:cool:

Sarge
06-14-2010, 12:33
The difficulty of Katahdin, I would imagine, would depend on your perspective at the time. Have you been hiking for weeks, days, or not at all before climbing it? If you're a thruhiker, then it is challenging, but fun. If you are a day hiker, it will kick your butt. The time it takes to do it will also vary according to those conditions. I signed in at the board at the trailhead at 0555 in the morning and when I reached the summit I looked at my watch and it was 0835. Now you have to remember that I was at the end of my hike, I was pumped on adrenalin, and I wasn't carrying a full pack. Made a huge difference. On the way down at around 1100 I met a group on the way up who had been hiking for 4 hours and they were only halfway to the top! As for what gear you want to take, make sure you have enough clothes in case the weather gets bad. Also make sure you have enough food and water in case you're gone longer than anticipated. I took just about all my gear up except my tent and sleeping bag. You can also check the website for Baxter State Park as I'm sure they list suggestions on what you should have with you.

Wrangler88
06-14-2010, 12:53
When I climbed it, I wasn't in great hiking shape. I was also kind of sick. I made it up in 3 hours. The climb was very wet (the trail below treeline was a stream from so much rain). In this case I think hiking poles were useful but once above treeline they aren't. It was also very cloudy and windy above treeline.

As far as what to take, all you need is a small daypack with a meal or snacks, rain gear, and the other basic 10 essentials. A map isn't needed; the trail is pretty straight forward.

peakbagger
06-14-2010, 13:20
Obviously it dedends on your physical condition. If you have climbed Mt Washington In NH, its very similair conditions except longer approaches. If you take the Hunt trail (AT), there is some boilder scrambling whihc requires some upper body strength.

I would disagree about not needing a map, the trail is pretty obvious on a sunny day, but when it clouds up (it happens quite frequently), a map is very important to understand your options at various trail junctions along the way.

In addition to the distance and steepness, there is a lot of exposure to weather conditions and there isnt much for reliable water sources above treeline, therefore you need to plan to bring plenty of water as its easy to run out and get dehydrated.

By the way, if you want to day hike the mountain, you need to get day use parking reservations in advance, if you want to camp there, you need reservations. There are options at stopping at the park headquarters to get reservations but on most weekends, the choices of sites that let you climb the mountain directly without a day use parking pass are very limited (you can not just grab a spot in the park and climb the mountain)

kizzybean
06-14-2010, 15:31
As everyone has said the climb depends on your personal condition. Plan on a day hike to enjoy it, starting early. If you're staying at Katahdin stream the obvious trail up would be the AT or called the "Hunt Trail'. Another option for you is to try to hitch a ride down the park road about 2 miles to Abol campsite and hike up the Abol Trail and then down the Hunt trail to Katahdin Stream. That would give you a variety to your hike. Abol trail is an old rock slide so steep with some large boulders as you reach the "plateau" but it's also the shortest trail to the summit. You will want to pack plenty of water and clothing for all types of weather, it changes fast on Katahdin no matter what month you are hiking. Be prepared. Another suggestion is to hike up Helon Taylor trail which leaves from Roaring Brook campground and then down the Hunt trail (AT). That way you get to see both sides of the mountain & experience hiking up over knifes edge. To do this you'll need to hook up with someother campers for a ride. Or if you're not dead set on hiking the AT trail I'd suggest driving over to Roaring Brook Campground (check with the ranger first on parking) for your day hike. This is my absolute favorite route and one I hike most years: from Roaring brook hike up Helon Taylor trail, accross Knife Edge to the summit, then down Saddle Trail to Chimney Pond, and continue down chimney pond trail to start at Roaring Brook Campground. I grew up hiking Katahdin so have hiked almost every trail there and many other peaks in the park over the past 40+yrs. There are some other great smaller mountain hikes around that are less traveled and wonderful too. Take advantange if you have time take a side hike off from the major mountain. Mid-week is better than weekends, weekends you'll feel like your at a hikers convention and jockey for a place to eat your lunch at the top. NO CELL PHONES!! don't bother you won't have any cell phone service. A recent hiker from Ohio fell got hurt and thought he could take a short cut back to his car, use his cell phone for help. He was fortunate the weather was mild and he was found after only a few days of being lost. Presently he's recovered from surgery and back home recouping. Never leave the trail!!!

You should enjoy your stay at Baxter park. It's rustic, no campers and the roads maintained minimal for the use they get. Remember No pets, no firearms. The rangers are a good source of information so use their knowledge on weather and hiking conditions for the time of year you're there. They should be able to give you a basic map of the area and trails that should be adequate for day hiking.

Enjoy your Experience.

Phreak
06-14-2010, 15:43
I found Mt K's difficulty to be overrated. I did it round-trip in 4 hrs 20 minutes. But I talked to some campers there and they needed up to 11 hours to complete it.

All depends on your physical conditioning and how fast or slow you want to hike.

warraghiyagey
06-14-2010, 20:52
You'll likely leave your pack at the ranger station and take a day pack. . . it'd be unusual for it to take ou more than 10 hours. . . . when you get back to Katahdin Stream, how difficult it was will no longer be germane. . . enjoy. . . . .

woodsy
06-14-2010, 20:54
Its a walk in the park, so to speak.

warraghiyagey
06-14-2010, 20:54
Its a walk in the park, so to speak.
Ba dum tssshhhhhhh . . . .

Blissful
06-14-2010, 22:29
Its a tough climb. Make sure you have all necessary gear for above treeline conditions.

Alaskanhkr23
06-14-2010, 23:16
Thanks for the Advice!... it was kinda mixed, but each one except ( a walk in the Park). I have equipment, as far as the acsent to the summit... my girlfriend is reltively new,for i am not. I am not in current good shape/not bad but not great. I would atleast wanna try ,i do not want to get either one of us hurt. So thankfuly i'm not egotistical and WILL turn back if i feel the need to.

MedicineMan
06-15-2010, 00:15
take some gloves....on the way down i saw a little japanese woman with what i'd call millermitts--bicycling gloves-fingers open but padding on the palms---very smart because you'll use your hands going up and down mt.K

JAK
06-15-2010, 05:12
take some gloves....on the way down i saw a little japanese woman with what i'd call millermitts--bicycling gloves-fingers open but padding on the palms---very smart because you'll use your hands going up and down mt.KThey can also be handy when descending on trails through forests like spruce, where little branchlets stick out of the trees here and there. I was only impaled once, so I am not saying they are essential gear by any means, but they are at times handy. The thing I don't like about gloves with leather palms is the soft leather tends to absorb and hold alot of water. Hard leather would be better, on both counts.

woodsy
06-15-2010, 07:52
Thanks for the Advice!... it was kinda mixed, but each one except ( a walk in the Park).

Well it is a park, you will be walking mostly, with some crawling on all fours at times.
Good idea about turning back if the GF gets tuckered out, tuckered out = injury prone. :)

mudhead
06-15-2010, 12:58
A six year old could do it with a couple boosts. Take your time. Start early. When you pop out of the woods it looks scary. Quite a good trail up through the scary looking stuff. You will use your hands in this part. Best part of the trail.

Take chocolate and water. Some need a liter, some more.

If the hugger balks, tell her for years only men were allowed to do the trail. That will get her up there looking down at you.:)

ozt42
06-15-2010, 19:47
from sandy stream you have a couple different options for a loop over the summit(s). DO NOT try come down the dudley trail it looks like a shortcut but is a steep rock scramble. My favorite loop from sandy stream is up to the pond, up the dudley trail, across the knife edge and down the ridge back to the pond and then back down to sandy stream. At my leisurely pace it takes about 10 hours with some time on top.

Bring extra layers and enough water to do the whole trip over the summit, Thoreau spring is unreliable.

MedicineMan
06-15-2010, 22:31
also think of the options....we went up the abol slide and down the hunt, when i go back i'll hope weather allows the knife.

mudhead
06-16-2010, 08:37
First timers should consider Hunt up, Hunt down. Looks different after you turn around.:)

Agree with the don't come down Dudley. Something about how the angle of the rocks rocks cover seeing where you want to step down. Royal pain. Fine trail up.

DavidNH
06-16-2010, 09:17
I will be camping Katahdin Stream, In a Lean-to. Me and my Girlfriend would like to Hike up Katahdin, HOW HARD IS IT? How Long Does it take? Gear wise what should i take?:cool:

Plan for an early start. Leave K stream by 7 am if you can, 8 am at the latest.

The climb up is 5 miles in distance but almost all of the 4000 feet of elevation gain happens in about one mile. Expect this climb to take you all day.. as in 8-10 hrs, closer to ten to allow for some time relaxing on the summit.

Check with the ranger first. They have the expected conditions. Anything less than a class one day I wouldn't bother. Class 2 means it is probably wet and you wont see anything, class three the climb would be dangerous and class 4 all trails are closed. You want a nice day for Katahdin. the views are outstanding!

David

Alaskanhkr23
06-16-2010, 09:22
Class 1, got it. Gear wise now. ;)

mudhead
06-16-2010, 12:23
Class II can also mean wind or afternoon thunderstorms.

Gear = standard stuff. In case you have to plant your butt and wait 5 hours for help. That can be debated.

I always take rain gear and a space blanket. Try to pack some common sense, but that sometimes stays in the truck.:)