PDA

View Full Version : Deuter Act Lite 65+10 vs. Go Lite Pinnacle???

q-tip
06-14-2010, 13:31
Looking at these two packs. Did GA & NC in '09 with a GG Vapor Trail--I just could not fit all of my gear in the the GG without extending the collar fully. My pack wt. is 22 lbs. + food--10 lbs. and water 3 qts. Had to hang my tent on the outside of the pack. Any suggestions???

grayfox
06-14-2010, 14:40
Get them both. They are very different packs. Deuter is good to +40lbs--use it in winter/spring/fall. Pinnacle is good with lots lighter load-use in spring/summer/fall. I have these two packs and that's what I do.

You can never have too many packs you know.

Praha4
06-14-2010, 15:27
I've used the Deuter ACT Zero 60+10, been carrying total pack weight with food/water between 26-30 lbs, and the pack carries it with no problem.

Another hiker I saw on the AT last week was using a Golite Pinnacle with 35 lbs, and he hated it, it is too much weight for that pack, it was sagging and cutting into his shoulders... I saw him at MRO in Damascus, and he was planning to buy a new pack.

I recommend Deuter ACT Lite or ACT Zero packs, both great packs.

skinewmexico
06-14-2010, 22:00
Pretty easy to overload a pinnacle. I did it when I got stuck with a trash bag one winter. Probably would have helped if I had remembered to tighten all the compression straps to stiffen it. And there is nothing wrong with carrying your tent on the outside. I always make a long roll of my tent, and carry it vertically in the side pocket of my ULA. Of course, the ULA is kind of designed for that.

FamilyGuy
07-05-2010, 01:53
Ditch the Pinnacle. It will not be as comfortable at any weight compared to the Deuter.

skinewmexico
07-05-2010, 12:36
ULA Catalyst?

couscous
07-05-2010, 13:14
Did GA & NC in '09 with a GG Vapor Trail--I just could not fit all of my gear in the the GG without extending the collar fully. My pack wt. is 22 lbs. + food--10 lbs. and water 3 qts. Had to hang my tent on the outside of the pack. Any suggestions???

It appears your total pack weight is 38#+ and 3600ci is insufficient .. so one suggestion would be to pick up some smaller or more compressible gear. Both of my sons (20,17) have GG Vapor Trails so they can carry 4-5 days of food and 3 liters of water.

Secret Squirrel
07-09-2010, 14:02
I have them both. I take the extra weight and go with the Deuter every time. It is far more comfortable.