PDA

View Full Version : Literature on the LT?

The Phoenix
06-14-2010, 13:42
Any decent cheap guides... out there about water, shelters, towns... etc?

On another note... what month are the bugs the worst in Vermont? I am planning to leave late June and finish mid July... will I end up eaten alive?

Godspeed

NorthCountryWoods
06-16-2010, 13:38

On another note... what month are the bugs the worst in Vermont? I am planning to leave late June and finish mid July... will I end up eaten alive?

Godspeed

Long trail and E2E guides are the best bet. They have shelters/water/road crossings and distances, but lack details of stores/laundry/lodging/shuttles because they come and go faster than they can update the guides. They do give you general places for resupply where there are (usually) numerous opportunities for services.

We've been in the typical spring every other day rain pattern which promotes lotsa bugs. They seem to be a little above average this season and you are going just after the worst of it. Black flies will be winding down and mosquitoes will be just ramping up. "Eaten alive" really depends on your tolerance.

Good luck.

jlore
06-16-2010, 13:55
the best guides would be the map that they sell and the e2e guide. i bought the book that cost $20, and wish i got the map which was 10 instead.

DavidNH
06-16-2010, 14:42

Godspeed

You will have plenty of bugs. But if you truly wanted to get eaten alive, you'd start around Memorial Day weekend and finish at the Canadian border in late June. That would be peak bug season.

Even so, you should pack plenty of bug repellent (the strong stuff) as well as a head net. try to avoid camping near stagnant water, marshes, or mud.

David

PS if you find any place to camp that has no mud or bugs present then please pm or email me about it. I would really like to know where that site is! i have yet to find it!

stranger
06-22-2010, 22:42
Leaving very late June should be tolerable for bugs, but I would think you would still hit some blackflies and you will have mosquitos your entire hike. I've hiked twice, both leaving in earlyish mid July and finishing in August, mosquitos were not problems, but we tented almost every night. If you plan on staying in shelters, you will have problems with bugs and will need to get a bugnet.

The Long Trail end to enders guide is a good publication, but I agree with earlier posts about it lacking information in places. However in terms of town and resupply info, this should get you started:

- Manchester Center, about 55 miles in, 6 miles off trail, has good supermarket and lodging at Suttons Place for about $60, some other options available, outfitter

- Rutland, about 100 miles in, 10 miles off the trail, good supermarket, numerous lodging - also Inn at Long Trail on blue blaze, holds UPS drops and is an excellent place for walk in rate of about $60

- Waitsfield, about 163 miles in, 7 miles off trail, lodging at Hyde Away Inn a few miles out from town for $70-80, not sure about groceries

- Richmond, about 185 miles in, 3 miles off trail, Mama Bowers B&B for about $50, small market, Burlington is 15 miles away with everything you might need, Jonesville PO on trail at road crossing

- Johnson, about 225 in, now further off trail but still only a few miles, good supermarket, hostel on outskirts of town, good restaurant, Long Trail Tavern on way to town, great food, opens in mid afternoon, used to be able to tent behind the Tavern

This information might not be 100% but might give you an idea of what to expect.

Go to www.longtrailhiking.com or net and they have great information online, I would call each service prior to leaving to ensure they are still providing services.

Have fun!

Rough
06-23-2010, 10:23
Stranger's link should be:

http://www.longtrailhiking.info/

stranger
06-24-2010, 19:44
Thanks Rough...knew I had it wrong!

Cookerhiker
06-24-2010, 20:33
Here's the link to the Green Mountain Club website description (https://www.greenmountainclub.org/product_detail.php?sku=2225) of the End-to-end Guide which I found very useful on my '07 hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248).

Any chance you can delay your start until mid-August when the mosquitos are nearly gone?

Tinker
06-24-2010, 21:45
Jonesville, 184 miles in. Post office right on the trail. No other accomodations except for a couple who, as of last year's E2E guide, let hikers camp in their yard.

I am currently working out my mail drops for my Sept. proposed thru. I will be sobo having done it in sections nobo in the 1990s.

The Phoenix
06-25-2010, 17:51
startin out tomorrow... will let yall know about the bugs and all the other good stuff when I'm done... shootin to be done in the middle of July...

Thanks for the good words of advice, encouragement, and sharing your experiences...

If the mosquitos eat me alive... the first one to my gear gets it...

Godspeed