PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Tarptent

The Tank
06-14-2010, 15:24
Does anyone have any experience thru-hiking with a Rainbow Tarptent? I prefer to keep my pack inside the tent with me at night. Any comparable models? I do have trekking poles I could use to make the Rainbow freestanding. Thanks for any input!

Foyt20
06-14-2010, 15:29
The rainbow is in my opinion palatial for one person. You will have no problem with your pack inside at night. And Tarptent has some of the best customer service in any business.

Rick500
06-14-2010, 15:53
I have a TarpTent Moment; no problems keeping my pack inside with me.

bulldog49
06-14-2010, 19:13
And I have a Lunar Solo and have no problem keeping my pack inside the tent.

Any tent large enough for a hiker can also store a pack.

Appalachian Tater
06-14-2010, 19:25
Yes, I thru-hiked with the first Rainbow model in 2006.

Plenty of room inside for a pack at the head or foot. Because of the arch, you can sit up without hitting your head--it is very roomy.

I always use the poles to set it up because it's easier and it can bed picked up and moved before staking it down if the ground is not flat or if there are rocks or branches underneath that were missed. It is also nice to be able to set it up in a shelter or on a porch if there are bugs, or on a tent platform. (You still have to stake out the entry flaps on a tent platform.)

No complaints with it. When I need a new tent, I will buy another Rainbow unless Henry Shires has come out with something even better.

skinewmexico
06-14-2010, 21:52
No complaints with it. When I need a new tent, I will buy another Rainbow unless Henry Shires has come out with something even better.

The Rainbow is redesigned for 2010, so I guess you have to get one.

If I was using one on the east coast, I'd get the optional liner with it. Makes life easy for 4 oz.

LIhikers
06-15-2010, 18:50
While I haven't done a thru hike, I have enough nights in my Rainbow to know that there's plenty of room for your pack and it's contents.