PDA

View Full Version : Southwest VA/ Highlands Section Hike Advice

CentralVaAt
06-15-2010, 09:52
A couple of friends of mine are looking to do a 3 day or so section hike in Southwest VA. We would really love to hike in the sections where we'd be likely to run across the wild ponies we've heard so much about. Does anyone have any advice about where we should start or end? Thanks!

jlb2012
06-15-2010, 10:01
park at Grayson Highlands SP, hike the AT/Pine Mtn Tr loop with an out and back to Mt Roger's summit

Cabin Fever
06-15-2010, 11:25
For a straight AT section, start at Fox Creek (northside of Grayson Highlands) and go south to end at Summit Cut/US58. This will include Whitetop and Grayson Highlands. You can do it the other direction too.

CentralVaAt
06-15-2010, 12:27
park at Grayson Highlands SP, hike the AT/Pine Mtn Tr loop with an out and back to Mt Roger's summit

About how many miles is this? I would like to summit Mt. Rogers

Marta
06-15-2010, 17:54
National Geographic map #786 shows all the trails in the area very well. You can park in Massie Gap (you will have to pay $3/day for the privilege) and create any number of loops of varying lengths.

Massie Gap is Pony Central. Either direction you hike is pony country.

Lone Wolf
06-15-2010, 18:11
About how many miles is this? I would like to summit Mt. Rogers

it's a cakewalk with no views

J5man
06-15-2010, 18:27
Agree, it is bascially a forest on the summit. It is the highest point in VA, so you can say you were there for that reason only but there is absolutely no view. Disappointing actually. But the ponies are a cool experience.

CentralVaAt
06-15-2010, 18:43
Thanks for the suggestions so far! Since I hear Mt. Rogers isn't that great, are there any other good 2-3 day AT sections where we'd have the best chance at seeing the ponies?

Hikerhead
06-15-2010, 20:34
Wait!!! True the summit of Mt Rogers does not offer any views but the hike to and from is a hike you'll never forget. We're talking about views all day long, ponies, miles of open vistas, large rocky outcrops, the ponies and looking up or down on the trail that you hiked earlier or will be hiking on soon. You'll probably hear a coyote at night. I've had a small bear walk right behind me on one trip. If you've never been there, you will not be disappointed. The main loop using the AT and the Pine Mtn trail is about 10 miles or so with excellent safe parking at Grayson Highland State Park. Many other trails to extend the hike.

JJJ
06-15-2010, 20:43
Go ahead and start at Grayson Highlands -good, relatively secure parking at a small fee.
Take the AT spur to the AT and turn left to go southbound.
Very likely to see ponies within a couple of miles.
Continue sobo to the top of the ridge at Rhododendron Gap -good views.
After passing Thomas Knob Shelter you come to the Mt Rogers blue blaze -no views but the forest is kinda unique for the area.
Still on the AT traveling across the southside of Mt Rogers you'll come to Deep Gap after a coupla miles.
There is shelter a little further on, but I'd take the Mt Rogers Trail to the right and go part way down the northwest side of Rogers.
Turn right on the Lewis Fork spur -good camping at this junction.
It's just a short ways to the Lewis Fork trail, continue right up the mountain -its open to horses but in good condition.
At the top you'll be back in crest zone with more pony potential.
Turn left on the Pine Mt Trail.
It will deadhead into the AT-stay to the right and continue to Scales -more good camping with views and a privy - no shelter but a manicured grassy lawn.
Continue on the AT sobo
About a mile past Wise Shelter you'll be back to the AT spur at Massie Gap on your left after a climb up the butt end of Wilburn ridge.
Wife and I did about this same route a few weeks ago stretched into 3 days. You'll have about 17 miles to cover.
Have fun, the Rhodies are coming into their own about now.

JJJ
06-15-2010, 21:00
http://i46.tinypic.com/2itrgao.jpg
this may help

Be aware the parking at Scales requires a high groud clearance vehicle to make the trip.

Wise Shelter is not shown, but at about the 15 mile mark

Marta
06-16-2010, 06:59
http://i46.tinypic.com/2itrgao.jpg
this may help

Be aware the parking at Scales requires a high groud clearance vehicle to make the trip.

Wise Shelter is not shown, but at about the 15 mile mark

This is similar to what I did last weekend, but we went further down the AT, and spent the night camping near Old Orchard Shelter. The route was: Massie Gap to AT NOBO (I know!), past Wise Shelter and The Scales, to Old Orchard Shelter. Second day, AT NOBO to the next trail junction, pick up Lewis Fork Trail, to Lewis Fork Spur, to Mt. Rogers Trail, to AT NOBO, to Mt. Rogers Spur, back on AT NOBO, past Thomas Knob Shelter, and back to Massie Gap. Saw ponies both days.

I'm a big fan of the summit of Mt. Rogers. It's a fairy forest--cool, mossy, and lovely. Definitely worth a visit.

rambunny
06-20-2010, 21:54
Nice work ya'all. Love that you moseied thru there! Have a great hike!