PDA

View Full Version : lost glasses

modiyooch
06-16-2010, 08:40
I lost my glasses west of 221 on the Mt to Sea Trail Woodlawn/Marion.
If by chance......

btw, very confusing section east of 221. looks like a reroute and the old markings are still visible. I actually did a circle. aargh.

Taba
06-16-2010, 16:32
Yeah they moved the trail after the built the bridge over the North Fork of the Catawba. The old trail goes just a little bit off the trail to the right to a good water source. Is this what you are talking about?

Good luck with finding your glasses.

modiyooch
06-16-2010, 22:09
From 221, the trail no longer passes the helicopter base. I goes up the access road instead of the gated road. both roads are marked. They meet at the wildlife field. I went in on one road, and out the other. Someone tried to remove the blaze off the stop sign, but blazes remain on the road and trees.

Taba
06-16-2010, 23:22
So, It doesn't continue down the gravel road to the left past the side road on the right with the Heliped on the left up on the hill and then continue onto trail with a left hand turn into the wildlife field.

modiyooch
06-17-2010, 07:39
So, It doesn't continue down the gravel road to the left past the side road on the right with the Heliped on the left up on the hill and then continue onto trail with a left hand turn into the wildlife field.
nope, but that's not why I got confused.

Going north, walk directly across the intersection to the road for recreation access parking. well marked. The trail continues about .25 (?) down the road. right turn into woods. slight climb. bare right. bare left(this is what I missed because of the multiple trails) enter wildlife field(10 o'clock position). stay left along edge of field to trail into woods (11 o'clock position). short distance.

I missed the slight left and hit the field in the middle. The grass was so high that I just followed paths across the field to the gravel road. after making a left on the gravel road and not finding anything, I made a right and found the old markers bringing me passed the heliped (on right) and back down the road to 221. (the white blaze on the stop sign has been scratched out, but that's the only marker that they removed)

Taba
06-17-2010, 10:58
Sorry you got turned around out there. I will have to fix that in the Manual so as no one else will do the same. When I was out there I got lost almost everyday, taking wrong turns, following other trails marked with white dots, and simply making incorrect decisions. It's part of the adventure.

Thank you for sharing the experience with us and letting us know where to watch out for.

Happy hiking,
Taba