PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Elkmont , how safe?

lostinthewoods
11-04-2004, 01:55
Has anyone had any issues with parking at elkmont? I may be heading up that way in a few weeks for a few nights out. Just curious on folks thoughts.

Thanks
:)

aaronthebugbuffet
11-04-2004, 02:10
I've never had problems with my car being messed with anywhere in the Smokies. Thats not to say it never happens but I've never experienced any problems. I did here a story of a man being robbed and murdered along Newfound Gap Rd(I think) while fishing, but that was in the 60s. With the ranger station so close at Elkmont I would say that your car would be safe. Ask the ranger there for the best place to park.

The Solemates
11-04-2004, 13:42
We've parked at Elkmont several times and had no problems. Nice area. It gets a far amount of traffic, so I would say its safe because it is not remote. As just mentioned, the ranger station is also nearby.

zephyr1034
11-09-2004, 00:13
I've never had problems with my car being messed with anywhere in the Smokies. Thats not to say it never happens but I've never experienced any problems. I did here a story of a man being robbed and murdered along Newfound Gap Rd(I think) while fishing, but that was in the 60s. With the ranger station so close at Elkmont I would say that your car would be safe. Ask the ranger there for the best place to park.
I don't know about Elkmont, but I've heard repeated warnings over the years not to park at Davenport Gap.

hikingpm
12-03-2004, 22:08
I have worked as a volunteer in the park maintaining a couple of back country campsites. I have parked my car at Elkmont many times and I have not had any problems. It is true that some of the more remote areas have problems with vehicles being vandalized, but again with the proximity of the Ranger Station to the trailhead you should not have any problems

steve hiker
12-04-2004, 02:04
with the proximity of the Ranger Station to the trailhead you should not have any problems
Oh yeah? A couple of girls in Yellowstone were mauled to death by a bear a few years ago WITHIN 100 FEET OF A RANGER STATION.

Doctari
12-04-2004, 07:55
I have parked there many times, no problems. I have never even seen broken glass on the ground, a usual sign of vandalism at parking sites.

Which trails you plannig on hiking?

Doctari.

9 Mules
12-04-2004, 09:12
There's not a Ranger station there.
There's Park housing for seasonal employees & the Kiosk for checking into Elmont campground, open during the hiking season. There may or may not be someone living there.
I would park within a few feet of the housing/Kiosk, then walk the extra mile or so to the trailhead(s).