PDA

View Full Version : camp sites between fontana lake and newfound gap

danforce19
06-16-2010, 19:58
me and two buddies will be hiking from fontana to newfound gap in august were are going to take four days to do it so if we want to go off trail a little bit we can. we are going to camp the whole way, no shelters. so i need some good suggestions for camp sites or good places to camp, off trail a little ways would be fine, and beside streams or water would be nice, but doesn't have to be. please any suggestions.

Hikes in Rain
06-16-2010, 20:23
If you're hiking the AT, no choice but to use shelters. And to have reservations at said shelters. Not to mention no streams since you're on the ridgeline. The Lakeshore trail, however, is all campsites, and more streams. Several other trails lead up to the AT, where you can get to Newfound. If you've got a trail map for the park, it's easy to plot out a nice trip. http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP%20Backcountry%20Map.pdf

Doctari
06-16-2010, 21:26
What H. I . R. says. this will drive you crazy, at least it did me, there are to my eye, a LOT of decent campsites along the way. Specially for those of us who hang. But, the water is all at the shelters & one campsite.

Tennessee Viking
06-16-2010, 23:01
I wouls suggest doing something like the BMT (Lakeshore Trail) to the MST (Fork Ridge Trail). Take Fork Ridge Trail up to the AT around Mount Collins then down to Newfound Gap.

danforce19
06-16-2010, 23:44
okay thank ya'll for the replys and advise, we wanted to go over clingmans dome too. is there not a way to hike the A.T and go off of it on side trails or something to camp cuz i could see creeks and streams come close to it but of course on the map i'm not so sure how far away they are, and we are looking for a good climb nothing too easy. but we are only taking four to five days to do it, we wanted to get up in some elevation or as much as the smokeys can provide, haha im not asking to much am i. any suggestions on this would be appreciated, thanks

danforce19
06-16-2010, 23:47
o and doc i do have a one person tent just in case, but my hammocks ready to go.

danforce19
06-16-2010, 23:49
also i would mind go bye some waterfalls i don't think i saw any near the A.T. though

Hikes in Rain
06-17-2010, 06:11
No waterfalls up on the ridgeline! :)

Recall you have to stay at official campsites, even when off the AT. Most of those are halfway down the mountains, a significant way, particularly if you want to climb back up the next morning. While I appreciate what you want to do, it really is one or the other.

Lakeshore trail will be a lot less crowded. And if you take either the Forney Ridge or Creek trail from the Lakeshore trail, you can go over Clingmans.

The shelters along that way aren't so bad, particularly the rebuilt ones. I think Russell Field was just rebuilt into the new airy style (which I like much better than the old cages), but Mount Collins is still waiting its turn. I think.

And the views up on the AT are to die for. I have a couple of panoramas in my photos, just to whet your appetite.

Marta
06-17-2010, 06:56
As was stated above, you have to leave the AT and go downhill to get to any campsites (other than Birch Spring).

You might want to call the Backcountry Reservation Office and talk to them about it. Some of the campsites closest to the AT require reservations (#9 and #10, for instance), so you'll have to call them anyway. The rangers there are very helpful and can help you plan your route, and will give you a permit number.

National Geographic map #229 not only shows the park and the trails in detail, it has all the phone numbers and rules and regs for camping in the park.

Graywolf
06-17-2010, 15:52
If you're hiking the AT, no choice but to use shelters. And to have reservations at said shelters. Not to mention no streams since you're on the ridgeline. The Lakeshore trail, however, is all campsites, and more streams. Several other trails lead up to the AT, where you can get to Newfound. If you've got a trail map for the park, it's easy to plot out a nice trip. http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP%20Backcountry%20Map.pdf

When did they start this?? I thought AT hikers didnt need reservations, just a self registered permit?? Also, it says, "No tents at Shelters". I thought if the shelters were full, AY hikers could Tent close by?? At least that what the guide books say...:-?

bigcranky
06-17-2010, 18:09
When did they start this?? I thought AT hikers didnt need reservations, just a self registered permit?? Also, it says, "No tents at Shelters". I thought if the shelters were full, AY hikers could Tent close by?? At least that what the guide books say...:-?

In season, there are several places reserved for thru-hikers at each shelter. Additional thru-hikers can tent outside the shelter. A thru-hiker has a specific definition in the Smokies -- you can's just start hiking at Fontana Dam without reservations and a permit.

Graywolf
06-17-2010, 18:39
In season, there are several places reserved for thru-hikers at each shelter. Additional thru-hikers can tent outside the shelter. A thru-hiker has a specific definition in the Smokies -- you can's just start hiking at Fontana Dam without reservations and a permit.

Yeah I saw that.. Thats why I am starting at Springer. Didnt relize it until I saw what I wrote..