PDA

View Full Version : AA batteries or rechargeable type for cameras?

longhiker
06-17-2010, 10:20
What kind of camera works better on a long / thru hike with resupply about once in 5 - 7 days?

Cameras with AA batteries?

or cameras with those proprietary rechargeable cells that you need an AC power ed charger for?

AA batteries are easy to find at every resupply point. On the other hand, many cameras are no longer of this type.. and in my limited experience with an older Canon, these don't last very long.

I could imagine that carrying a couple of extra proprietary rechargeable cells, fully charged might work but you'd still need to carry the AC charger or bounce box it.. and find a power outlet at the resupply points and wait 3 hrs..

So what do you think?

Lyle
06-17-2010, 10:30
In the past, I preferred AA batteries for the ease of replacement.

Now I don't put that much importance on it. Battery technology has improved tremendously. The proprietary batteries will almost always give substantially more shots per charge than a set of rechargeable AA's or non-rechargeable.

I find that the proprietary batteries will almost always last at least a week for me. This obviously will depend on how many shots you take, and how often you review your shots, so can vary a lot by user. If in doubt, purchase an extra proprietary batter to carry with you. Most of the chargers are pretty light, replace the long cord with a short one or just a direct plug which are available online. Or you can just bounce your charger along, but that may get kinda expensive.

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2010, 10:32
With the AA chamber, you can do lithium Rechargables on the newer cameras and in a pinch use a one time lithium alkaline.

Kerosene
06-17-2010, 10:58
I've found that the proprietary rechargable batteries are lighter and last longer. I purchase a spare battery and bring two for my section hikes. If I was using a drop box, then I'd put the charger in there, along with a replacement SD card.

Franco
06-17-2010, 18:24
There are no LiIon rechargeable in the AA size and voltage that can be used in a camera. Lithium Ion produces 3.7v per cell, , cameras take 1.2 to 1.7v.
The disposable Lithium are 1.7v.
Franco

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2010, 20:25
There are no LiIon rechargeable in the AA size and voltage that can be used in a camera. Lithium Ion produces 3.7v per cell, , cameras take 1.2 to 1.7v.
The disposable Lithium are 1.7v.
Franco

Ok I thought I was clear on my post - but I am confused after reading yours..... I am sure some of the older digitals won't work, But a few new ones don't draw as much so I am sure it works.

One Shot non rechargable
AA Energizer lithium pile 1.5 2900 ma

Rechargeable
AA Energizer Nickel Metal Hydride 1.2 v 2500 ma (close enough)
AA Delco Ni Mh 1.2 v 2500 ma
AA Kodak Ni Mh 1.2 v 1800 ma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-metal_hydride_battery

Franco
06-17-2010, 21:36
Lithium AA (disposable/one shot 1.7v) can be used with most of the new cameras.
Lithium Ion (rechargeable, 3.6v) apparently also evaluable in AA size cannot.
Franco

leaftye
06-17-2010, 21:40
AA battery cameras are awesome, but not if you use alkaline batteries. I've gone well over 700 shots using nimh AA's in a Canon camera and the battery meter still showed lots of battery life left. I've observed the same thing when using nimh AA's in both of my Fujitsu cameras.

I really don't like the new lithium battery-powered cameras. Most of the new generation of cameras are rated around the 300 shot mark, often much less. The Canon G-series is one big exception, but it is also one big camera. It may be true that lithium batteries offer more power density than AA batteries, but camera manufacturers are trading away battery life for a smaller camera body.

As to which battery you should use, I think it depends on your other electronics. I intentionally built a system that only uses AA or AAA batteries because it leaves me with plenty of spares. I don't always need batteries in my headlamp, so those serve as spares for my gps. I also have a solar charger that I use for my cell phone which also uses AA batteries. Now I do keep a set of batteries in each device, but I could easily cut the number of batteries I carry in half if I decided to move (share) the batteries among my different devices. I could shave even more ounces if I bounced a AA and cellphone charger. AAA batteries can certainly be charged with either the solar or wall charger, but it requires adapter tubes...very inexpensive at about $2 a pair w/shipping.

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2010, 21:50
Lithium AA (disposable/one shot 1.7v) can be used with most of the new cameras.
Lithium Ion (rechargeable, 3.6v) apparently also evaluable in AA size cannot.
Franco

Ok Franco, this is almost a repeat of your previous post, what are you trying to say? Here in this country there is a wide assortment of battery powered cameras. I just showed you we have rechargable 1.5's that work. Give us the long post version.

leaftye
06-17-2010, 22:20
Now I don't put that much importance on it. Battery technology has improved tremendously. The proprietary batteries will almost always give substantially more shots per charge than a set of rechargeable AA's or non-rechargeable.

I do agree that non-rechargeable AA alkalines have poor battery life, but I couldn't disagree more when it comes to their nimh or lithium AA counterparts.

I'd like to see some examples of this. I'll start off using CIPA standard ratings.

Canon A720is: 400 shots on AA nimh batteries
Canon SX20is: 540 shots on AA 2000 mah nimh batteries
Fujifilm HS-10: 400 shots on AA nimh batteries or 700 shots on AA lithium batteries
Fujifilm S2500HD: 500 shots on AA nimh batteries or 700 shots on AA lithium batteries

Pentax K-x: 1100 shots on AA lithium batteries
Pentax K7: 740 shots on proprietary batteries

Canon SX210is: 260 shots on proprietary batteries
Canon G11: 380 shots on proprietary batteries
Canon S90: 220 shots on proprietary batteries
Casio EX-FH100: 310 shots on proprietary batteries
Fujifilm F80EXR: 230 shots on proprietary batteries
Nikon S8000: 210 shots of proprietary batteries
Pentax X90: 255 shots on proprietary batteries
Fujifilm JZ500: 230 shots on proprietary batteries
Kodak Z950: 310 shots on proprietary batteries
Panasonic DMC-ZS5: 340 shots on proprietary batteries
Panasonic DMX-ZS7: 300 shots on proprietary batteries
Ricoh CX3: 310 shots on proprietary batteries
Sony DSC-H55 & DSC-HX5: 310 shots on proprietary batteries
Fujifilm S200EXR: 340 shots of proprietary batteries

So far it seems that if you want more than 400 shots per charge, your only choice is to get a camera that uses AA batteries or get a DSLR.

leaftye
06-17-2010, 22:29
Ok Franco, this is almost a repeat of your previous post, what are you trying to say? Here in this country there is a wide assortment of battery powered cameras. I just showed you we have rechargable 1.5's that work. Give us the long post version.

If I may...

I think he's only saying that there are no AA rechargeable lithium batteries that output ~1.5 volts.

You were saying that there are AA rechargeable nimh batteries.

Both of you are correct in that, however...

Your previous post said there were AA rechargeable lithium batteries, which may be the case, but according to my understanding of Franco's post, those would not be interchangeable with any camera that uses AA alkaline or nimh batteries.

Only the non-rechargeable disposable version of lithium batteries are interchangeable with alkaline batteries. (nimh would be implied?)

You also said there were lithium alkalines which still has me puzzled.

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2010, 22:37
Thanks good to see you did your homework.....

Your right I might have mis-labeled what was available as I am doing some from memory.

Franco
06-17-2010, 22:45
WOO
I am reading your comment, post 3
"With the AA chamber, you can do lithium Rechargables on the newer cameras and in a pinch use a one time lithium alkaline"
First there is no such thing as a lithium alkaline. It is either lithium, alkaline or lithium ion ...
Next "with the AA chamber, you can do lithium Rechargables on the newer cameras..."
I take that to mean that the newer cameras that use AA can take Lithium Rechargeables. And my comment was that there is no lithium rechargeable (lithium is one use only) and no usable Lithium Ion either in AA size because the voltage is too high .
Lithium produces 1.7v per cell and cannot be recharged. Lithium Ion produces 3.6v per cell and can be reacharged. They are not the same .
Franco

SonrisaJo
06-18-2010, 01:38
I had a camera with a rechargeable battery. It NEVER died on me, and it was not a fantastic or expensive camera. You will be in town enough so you can plug it into an outlet at the grocery store/gas station/wherever. I never had a problem finding a place to charge it. Even with the charger, my overall camera weight was lighter than if I had to carry AAs (not to mention exta batteries).

Franco
06-18-2010, 04:45
And BTW, WOO
"Here in this country there is a wide assortment of battery powered cameras."
We have cameras in Australia too and they are all battery powered, at least the digital ones are. In fact exactly the same range as you have.

I just showed you we have rechargable 1.5's that work
No you haven't because there are no rechargeable 1.5v batteries in AA .

WOO , I have already told you on another thread. I was a camera buyer for several years, and by that I mean I bought thousands of them, and worked in the industry for about 30 years . So I might just have a bit of an idea about cameras and batteries.

Longhicker
I would buy the camera that is the closest to what I want (feature and quality) regardless of the battery it uses.
So I would prefer to shoot 300 shots every two weeks with a camera that I like than 600 with one that I don't.
Do we really need to take 300 shots a week ?
Franco

The Old Fhart
06-18-2010, 08:30
Note that the rechargeable lithium-ion battery in “AA size” posters are referring to is called a 14500 cell (http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire-Rechargeable-Battery-CR14500-Lithium/dp/B0035H9A1K) which has a voltage of 3.6V. These batteries would destroy most devices designed just for regular 1.5V alkaline batteries but I have LED flashlights with switching regulators that will work with either li-ion or alkaline AA size batteries (0.8V to 4.2V) with no problems.

Franco-“ Lithium AA (disposable/one shot 1.7v) can be used with most of the new cameras.”
True but note the non-rechargeable Lithium AA batteries display an odd characteristic in that the initial output is 1.7V but that quickly drops to about 1.5V when a load is applied. The voltage will then stay at the lower level for the life of the battery. Some geeky people will discharge the new batteries for a couple of minutes to get the voltage down off that 1.7V plateau then use them in devices that wouldn’t normally work at the higher 1.7V.

Franco-“(WOO)I just showed you we have rechargable 1.5's that work
No you haven't because there are no rechargeable 1.5v batteries in AA .”

Both statements are wrong to a degree. First, WOO is apparently calling 1.2 volts rechargeable batteries 1.5 volt which is incorrect. Although devices designed for alkaline 1.5 volt batteries (actually a new unused alkaline is as high as 1.65 volts) will work with the lower 1.2 volts of the NiMH cells, it is incorrect to call NiMH cells 1.5V batteries. Second, there are rechargeable alkaline batteries made by Rayovac and others (http://www.amazon.com/Juice-Rechargeable-Alkaline-Batteries-Packages/dp/B001F0RDCM) that have a voltage of about 1.5 volts (actual 1.42V max) but I don’t recommend using them for a number of technical reasons.

The output voltage of a battery is a function of the chemical elements used to make the battery and not size or any other characteristics. A Nickel Metal Hydride battery will always be rated as a nominal 1.2 volt battery no matter who manufactures it or the physical size. Here is a chart of the various rechargeable battery chemistries (http://www.powerstream.com/Compare.htm) and their output voltages. None are 1.5V.

scope
06-18-2010, 09:09
Lot of focus on the batteries. How about the camera? Correct me if I'm wrong, I have only a layman's knowledge (as opposed to some others obviously), but the camera itself is smaller with the proprietary rechargeables, right? OP didn't state anything about size and my assumption would be smaller is better, all relative to getting a good picture. I have the small Canon SD1100 and works very good, battery life is great, and charger is light and small enough to considering taking along instead of a bounce box. If you're just taking pics, then battery will surely last until next box, but if you're taking lots of video, then might want to take along a spare battery and the charger.

Wise Old Owl
06-20-2010, 11:08
And BTW, WOO
"Here in this country there is a wide assortment of battery powered cameras."
We have cameras in Australia too and they are all battery powered, at least the digital ones are. In fact exactly the same range as you have.

I just showed you we have rechargable 1.5's that work
No you haven't because there are no rechargeable 1.5v batteries in AA .

WOO , I have already told you on another thread. I was a camera buyer for several years, and by that I mean I bought thousands of them, and worked in the industry for about 30 years . So I might just have a bit of an idea about cameras and batteries.

Longhicker
I would buy the camera that is the closest to what I want (feature and quality) regardless of the battery it uses.
So I would prefer to shoot 300 shots every two weeks with a camera that I like than 600 with one that I don't.
Do we really need to take 300 shots a week ?
Franco

Got it... I forgot,:D

Sassafras Lass
09-18-2010, 10:57
For our NOBO thru next March, we purchased the Panasonic DMC-LZ10.

It takes AA batteries, it is fairly compact and fits perfectly in my pack hipbelt. It doesn't weigh terribly much, and it has a Leica lens. And it was under $200, which was the most I was willing to spend since I already have another p&s and couldn't justify spending a ton of $$ on another. My only complaint with the camera is that it won't take the AA-size lithium batteries that are supposed to be great. Oh well.

I chose a camera that takes AA batteries because they are extremely accessible and this hike is very much a wilderness hike for my husband and I, which means that I won't be spending hours in towns if I can avoid it. Also, I love photography, and will be taking a TON of pictures, and don't want to be without battery power for a day or two.

Dkeener
09-18-2010, 11:14
I prefer replaceable AA batteries in all my stuff. Replacements are almost universally available and the device can be used instantly after replacement. Recharging takes time and isn't always convenient. Plus you've got the weight on the charger to contend with.

Dennis

Jayboflavin04
09-19-2010, 10:47
I have a canon with AA's. I run lithiums in it when I am on the trail. They last well over a week. My camera also has a view finder. If need be I can turn off the lcd screen for even greater battery life. I just have a problem with fixed proprietary batteres. I like the option of being able to pick up batteries at my conv. (I dont like the fact they are disposable). If the proprietary fixed battery takes a crap you have to send it back for replacement.

Battery tips. (My friend is a engineer at enegizer)
NiMh batteries have a memory these batteries need to be fully charged and ran dead everytime (out of box charging is an important step in this process)
Lithium rechargables DO NOT have a memory...
Dont forget to set your electronic device for max battery life.

goodolenate
09-21-2010, 09:56
Currently I use a Nikon D90 DSLR which only takes the propriety Nikon batteries. However, this is a Multi-Power Battery Pack (MB-D80) that allows me to use 6 AA batteries with it. The only problem for hiking is that this adds and additional pound to the weight of the camera body.

After using a DSLR for as long as I have, I can't stand using a point and shoot. If my thru-hike plans continue as I hope they will, I'll be carrying a Nikon D5000 (or similar) on a strap rig that I made for my pack. It uses rechargeable batteries. I'll pick up 2 extra batteries and a 3rd party charger which weighs in at 5oz. I can get a good 1,000 shots per battery charge which generally fills up a 16GB memory card.

I am in no way an ultralight backpacker, but with a full load of food, water, and fuel, I've gotten my total pack weight down to 43 lbs including 8 pounds of camera gear and 4L of water.

10-K
09-21-2010, 10:25
I was very reluctant to move away from AA powered digital cameras on my hikes because AA's are so widely available and I didn't really trust the rechargeable batteries that required a proprietary charger.

When my camera got wet this summer I decided to bite the bullet and buy a waterproof/shockproof/dustproof camera and I could not find one that took AA's.

So, I bit the bullet and bought one anyway figured I'd rather have a camera with a charger that worked rather than buying a new AA camera every time it rained.

Long story short - it was a great move. The battery lasts forever (it seems) and I always hit a town or get home to recharge before it runs out.

And, I'm not tossing AA's in the trash (yeah, I know..) and polluting the earth anymore. :)

Chenango
09-21-2010, 10:40
My camera battery charge seems to last forever.

I shortened the AC cable to the battery charger holder (very, very light) from 8 ft to 1 foot and saved about 7 oz. Wow!!

String Bean
09-21-2010, 10:55
Most cameras seem to go thru AA batteries really quickly. I highly recommend a rechargeable camera and just be careful about leaving it on or spending alot of time viewing the pictures you've taken, and you should be good on one overnight charge every 5 ot 6 days.

malowitz
09-21-2010, 12:41
I just finished a thru with a Sony HX-5v. It uses a proprietery battery and I purchased 4 extra after-market batteries for the start of the hike. It held charge very well and I sent all but 1 of the extras home. The only time I ran out of the first battery's charge was on Katahdin. So the single battery got me from Monson to Katahdin (nearly 400 pictures with multiple reviewing previous photos on the LCD screen as the hike wound down) and I had the back-up to finish it out.

I think you can make the battery a less-important consideration and get a camera that does what you want. I highly suggest the intelligent panorama feature.

leaftye
09-21-2010, 21:12
I have a canon with AA's. I run lithiums in it when I am on the trail. They last well over a week. My camera also has a view finder. If need be I can turn off the lcd screen for even greater battery life. I just have a problem with fixed proprietary batteres. I like the option of being able to pick up batteries at my conv. (I dont like the fact they are disposable). If the proprietary fixed battery takes a crap you have to send it back for replacement.

I like that very much. It makes a quick full resupply possible since you can just pick up a pack of AA's along with your other supplies. No waiting hours for a battery to charge. In fact, on my next thru I'm considering leaving the solar AA charger at home an having lithium AA's sent to me in my resupply boxes. I don't like creating extra trash, but I do like reducing pack weight and bulk.

Most cameras seem to go thru AA batteries really quickly.

I seriously doubt you've done any recent research on the matter or even read the first page.

One camera I'd like to add to my earlier list is the Pentax K-r. It has a battery bay that can accommodate a lithium-ion battery or AA batteries. 470 shots with the proprietary lithium-ion battery. 530 MORE shots with AA lithium batteries.

Also, the update to Canon's SX20is no longer uses AA batteries and has LOST about 150 shots in capacity.