PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Highlands

Lead Dog
06-17-2010, 12:54
How many miles is the loop hike from Massie Gap along the AT by Wise Shelter, Scales, side trail across Rhododedrun Gap back to the Gap?

bigcranky
06-17-2010, 14:06
Around 12 miles, IIRC.

Lead Dog
06-17-2010, 14:09
thanks Cranky. I've been looking thing up on the web. Wasn't sure how long the connector was over Pine Mtn. Hiked there several times but never really knew mileage.

bigcranky
06-17-2010, 18:10
The Pine Mountain Trail is two miles long.

bigcranky
06-17-2010, 18:14
If you add the 8.5 A.T. miles from Rhodo Gap to the top of Pine Mountain, the 2 miles on the Pine Mountain Trail, and the 1/2-3/4 miles on the blue blaze from the backpacker parking lot, it's around a 12 mile loop.

There are several nice camp sites along the way, makes a great weekend overnight. If you add in a side hike to the top of Mt Rogers, it adds maybe 4 miles and can be a nice 2-night hike, especially for hikers who come up after work on a Friday.

Undershaft
06-21-2010, 08:43
If you add the 8.5 A.T. miles from Rhodo Gap to the top of Pine Mountain, the 2 miles on the Pine Mountain Trail, and the 1/2-3/4 miles on the blue blaze from the backpacker parking lot, it's around a 12 mile loop.

There are several nice camp sites along the way, makes a great weekend overnight. If you add in a side hike to the top of Mt Rogers, it adds maybe 4 miles and can be a nice 2-night hike, especially for hikers who come up after work on a Friday.

I did that exact hike about fours years ago and it was the nicest overnight hike I've ever been on. Beautiful scenery and easy hiking, I'm looking forward to hiking there again next year.