PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo! Just got my Thermawrap!

David S.
11-04-2004, 14:46
Hey guys! I don't post often but just had to rave about the Mont-Bell Thermawrap jacket. I just got it today. I have never felt a synthetic insulation that felt so similar to down...granted...this jacket is pretty thin but it sure has a down like feel. Kind of has that "immediately" warm feeling you get from down. I also like that the jacket is long enough that it covers part of my butt...many jackets it seems...in trying to save weight, seem to be cut to short. This jacket is truelly a nice piece of work...and it weighs hardly anything. Much warmer than a sweater...but not as warm as a down jacket...or so I've been told...we'll see this weekend!

I would be curious to know what others opinions are about the "exceloft" insulation made by Mont-Bell...before I go out and buy one of their bags with the this stuff. Flatfoot

The Solemates
11-04-2004, 15:44
This isnt the Flatfoot that is going for the Triple Crown in 06 that we met near Blood Mtn in Feb this year is it? Perhaps that was "Flatfeet"...not sure.

foodbag
11-05-2004, 16:10
Thanks for posting about the Thermawrap jacket. I've had one on backorder since August 10 at AR Gear and called them today to have mine sent. It must have been a popular item.

Anybody else have this jacket? If so, how does it stand up in the field?

David S.
11-06-2004, 00:54
Nope...not that Flatfoot....I wish. I am thouroughly enjoying the Thermawrap...it is warmer than I anticipated...and I recieved some unsolicited compliments on how stylish it looked...I completely didn't buy it with that in mind but hey...I'll take it! I do wonder as you do Foodbag how it will hold up in the field...and in colder temps. I have no reason to believe I will be disapointed though. Obviously, this jacket isn't meant for hardcore winter activities...or for bushwhacking. It won't surprise me if it puts on a good performance in moderate cold temps though...say in the 30's. We'll see. Winter is coming. Flatfoot

MisterSweetie
11-06-2004, 02:46
Does the ripstop feel like it would stand up to any beating at all? And is the outer layer windproof? Thanks. I too like this jacket! But then again.. I have a jacket fetish..

MisterSweetie
11-06-2004, 02:48
I'd edit that last post to include this, but I didn't see how...

How do these jackets size up? My T-shirt size = my jacket size?

MedicineMan
11-06-2004, 03:19
in fact the Thermawrap Jacket replaced my Patagonia Puffball vest that was always in the pack.
I've added the Thermawrap Vest to do the layering thing with the jacket and have enjoyed 27F with moisture and wind, covering them both with a shell.
I got lucky and found a business man on the way to Japan, he brought me back a pair of the Thermawrap pants to complete the system...the pants are not like the Thermawrap Jacket and Vest sold here in the U.S. in that they have differing front and back materials (kinda like some of the clothing Smartwool sells just for people wearing a backpack)...

anyway, the Thermawrap Jacket is the lightest, warmest (when wet) ,most compressible synthetic jacket I have ever seen...you will not regret aquiring one....the ourter nylon is not for bushwacking though and if that is anticipated i would throw a shell over it...but it is tougher than the outer lining of the Western Mountaineering Flight, to give you a rough idea of its abrasion resistance.

PLUS!!!! post recieving I placed the sleeve under running water and lo and behold the water cascaded off....then i did the bowl full of water test...the garment is practically waterproof-such a tight weave- but is not advertised,nor truly is, but will take a very very long time to wet out.

You WILL miss pockets in the jacket and i would readily pay 2 more ounces for a hood.

Back to the vest, if you love the jacket add the vest...awesome combo and that much more versatility.

peter_pan
11-06-2004, 10:27
Medicine Man,
Hello again, Ok so talk about the pants. Where in Japan did you get them? Cost ? etc.....others like warm and light too. PP

MedicineMan
11-06-2004, 23:31
a friend flew over on business. I asked him to look for them. He found one pair left (near the end of their winter) in a store in Tokyo, they were sized in Japanese so he bought an XL for me since I wear L...3 weeks later he returned and shipped them to me.
I had contacted Montbell USA exclaiming the incredulous act of introducing a jacket but no matching pant into the market. When I found out via Montbell's website that they are made I again contacted Montbell USA and asked what gives.....typical corporate decision making.
I would guess if enough people ping Montbell USA they will get the message....put the vest on your Christmas list, it is remarkable compared to old technology like the Patagonia Puffball which I mentioned was at one time a mainstay in my pack/yak......

and while I'm raving put these on the list too:
http://www.moontrail.com/exped_downbooties.php

What surprised me was that they come with some cool overboots that you can take or leave home, good for slippin onto the down sock when you get that need.

peter_pan
11-07-2004, 09:52
MM, great point on the socks...little pricy........Down booties are super....I got a pair in 1982 with canvas like sole and a piece of foam in the bottom....they are my camp shoes/ slippers in the winter...great sleeping gear range extender....I added a nylon strap and ladder buckle over the instep to cinch them tight when walking around...7.6oz for the pair....one sewn up snag, weight includes the added straps and seam sealed soles, and a health dose of DWR spray to the top....24 years and going stong.....longest surviving piece of gear in my pack.