PDA

View Full Version : Packing and food for the 100 mile wilderness Late Aug /Sept

English Stu
06-17-2010, 15:17
I know we all feel the temperature differently but I would appreciate comments. Do I need my down jacket as camp jkt for this trip. Seems to be warmer in Maine than I previously thought, then I read it can get cold very suddenly.I also have synthetic insulated vest would that be more useful.

On my earlier trek I went through the Smokies in October, is that similar? I had a Rab Vapour Rise jkt and a Berghaus Paclite shell with me that time.

Is starting at Monson wise, I wonder about doing a bit more to get fit ,say start in Stanton.Although I hope to be doing plenty of miles in the UK before I leave.

Some advice is to carry 10 days food, don't fancy that. I understand against most information that resupply is possible in the wilderness at one point. What is the considered setup for food.

Ender
06-17-2010, 15:20
As far as the down jacket... Personally I don't think so. Just bring thermal underwear, and if it gets really cold wrap yourself up in your sleeping bag.

Pedaling Fool
06-17-2010, 15:22
Once I was caught in a ice storm in the 100-mile wilderness, this was in July/Aug timeframe.

Phreak
06-17-2010, 15:23
You can have a resupply dropped off midway through the Wilderness (Jo Mary Road) and/or swing by White House Landing.

Pootz
06-17-2010, 15:50
Do I need my down jacket as camp jkt for this trip.

I had cold rainy/windy weather when I went through the 100 mile in early September. I was glad to have my montbell UL down jacket.

Good luck and enjoy your hike.

garlic08
06-17-2010, 15:54
If I remember correctly, most of the HMW is fairly low country, just a few small hills, so at least you don't have to think about being exposed above tree line in those freak summer ice storms, as happens in the Smokies or Whites for instance. There are also a few bail-out points as noted above, if things get too bad. Also, you can get a pretty good seven-day forecast before you leave, which can affect your decision. What I'm trying to say is, I wouldn't carry a down jacket in August.

Shutterbug
06-17-2010, 15:56
I know we all feel the temperature differently but I would appreciate comments. Do I need my down jacket as camp jkt for this trip. Seems to be warmer in Maine than I previously thought, then I read it can get cold very suddenly.I also have synthetic insulated vest would that be more useful.

On my earlier trek I went through the Smokies in October, is that similar? I had a Rab Vapour Rise jkt and a Berghaus Paclite shell with me that time.

Is starting at Monson wise, I wonder about doing a bit more to get fit ,say start in Stanton.Although I hope to be doing plenty of miles in the UK before I leave.

Some advice is to carry 10 days food, don't fancy that. I understand against most information that resupply is possible in the wilderness at one point. What is the considered setup for food.

I was there last August. We certainly didn't need a jacket of any kind. We needed rain gear and bug protection. The low temperature at night was only in the high 50's.

It is true that there can be unexpected storms. I just carry a long sleeved shirt and a poncho. The poncho can provide warmth as well as rain protection.

garlic08
06-17-2010, 16:13
As far as number of days of food you need, just use your average hiking day to decide.
The trail is fairly decent in there, a little rocky in a few spots, and it's not too hard to make your average hiking time. You can see the profiles on your maps or in your guidebook--it's not extremely hilly, either. Extreme rain will definitely slow you down, but that should be in the forecast and you can plan accordingly.

The recommended 10-day load always seemed excessive to me. For most people, that means over 20 pounds of food and extra fuel. That can really add to your load and slow you down to the point you might actually need 10 days to get through there. The NOBO thru hikers I went through there with took four to five days. I did meet two inexperienced SOBOs who were having a hard time making it in ten days, though, so you'll need to make that call based on your hiking experience.

Tinker
06-18-2010, 00:20
I carried a windbreaker (windcheater) and a light polyester fleece jacket as my only cool weather clothing (I didn't even carry raingear - a risk, but the only heavy rain I encountered was the night I stayed at White House Landing in the middle of the Hundred miles). I rented a cabin which I had all to myself. In retrospect I would probably carry a light synthetic filled vest if I did it again (I did it in early September of 2008). I would also probably carry real raingear.
I did it in eight days with minimal training (a few weekend hikes during the year leading up to it). There are two good mountain ranges, but I don't remember either of them being very difficult (but I had good weather).
I carried Knorr-Lipton dinnners, beef jerky, and Ghee as my primary foods, with oatmeal for mornings, bagels for the first 4 days, and lots of peanuts and raisins. I also carried hard candies for quick sugar energy, coffee for morning starts the first four days, and I ate everything I could get my hands on at the store at Abol Bridge. I cheated (sort of) by taking a nero (near zero mile day) at Whitehouse Landing where I had a one pound burger and some pizza as well as a hot breakfast the next day.

English Stu
06-18-2010, 08:32
Thanks guys good information.

bulldog49
06-18-2010, 08:36
I'd rather carry a jacket and not need it, than need it and not carry it. :-?

peakbagger
06-18-2010, 08:56
Barring a highly unusual weather event, no need for a down vest. It is far more likely that you may get a long stretch of rain where you can get chilled and down is not very effective when its in wet conditions. If it gets unusually cold at night, just get in your sleeping bag earlier. If anything a hevy weight poly pro long sleeve top is far more usefull and a lot easier to dry. I usually car some lightweight poly pro gloves and a lightweight balaclava as an alternative to carrying a lot of extra core insualtion. They take up far less room and have a far better effect in widny and rainy conditions.

The elevations are a lot lower than the smokies and you are in the woods for 95% of trip, thus the level of exposure is lower

Dogwood
06-18-2010, 10:27
For late Aug/early Sep in HMW exposure to cold would not be my primary concern rain, wind, and bugs would be. Check the weather report before you go, but for warmth the synthetic vest(maybe even a thermal top) and Paclite shell should be fine(rain jackets are also for protection against wind/cold). IMO, a down jacket is overkill for that time of the yr and probably not the best if it rains(check the weather before you gear up though!)

You should have an idea about your anticipated mileage already. As others have said the terrain in HMW isn't all that strenuous. Figure your food needs from there. If hauling 10 days of food concerns you, as stated you can break up the food haul by doing a drop and/or supplementing at Whitehouse Landing.

I would stop at WHL anyway. Some good reasons. I always thought it a novelty to be hiking and then come across a blue blaze leading to a short dock on a large lake. You toot a horn left near the dock and a bus, I mean a boat, comes across from the other side of the lake, picks you up, and takes you over to the SMALL store/restaurant/bunkhouse/fishing resort! Besides, you can stay the night rather cheaply in the bunkhouse, wash your clothes in a hand cranked washing tub on the shoreline overlooking the lake(if it's still there), and enjoy some food. If you ate one of the BIG sandwiches, BIG burgers, or BIG personal pizzas, ate some breakfast, and bought some MINIMAL food it would cut back on how much food you needed to haul from the start! If food wt is a concern I don't see why you wouldn't strongly consider stopping there! I would also call WHL first to check any updates.