PDA

View Full Version : Authenticating Trail Charities, Groups and Organizations

DapperD
06-17-2010, 21:17
I noticed that the thought of giving or not giving donations to groups or individuals who are soliciting here can be a touchy subject. There is much repeated speculation as to wether or not these groups or individuals are even sincere. I am all for donating to a worthwhile, noble, legitimate cause. However I have also read many different threads regarding groups or individuals announcing that they are hiking for a particular cause, etc...(they have announced either directly or indirectly to be soliciting donations) and there becomes a lot of conjecture as to wether or not these groups or individuals are even sincere. I was wondering what other's thought could be done and possibly implimented to protect the members here from fraudulent charities, solicitations, scams, etc? One idea I have is that possibly the moderators could lock down the thread until these individuals can prove they are a legitimate, licensed group, charity, etc...and once proven to be legit, then and only then will the thread be reopened. I think this would help protect the members here from fraudulent solicitations by insincere groups or individuals.:-?

Appalachian Tater
06-17-2010, 21:20
How would locking threads down help protect anyone? Does anyone need protection?

People should use common sense.

fiddlehead
06-17-2010, 22:05
Enough gets "locked down" already.
Why not just follow the money!
If the website asking for money has a link that lets you pay DIRECTLY to a worthwhile cause, then what's the problem. You either give or you don't
If they are asking you to send them money, well, maybe if I knew them personally and thought that they needed money............well, I'd consider it.

We don't need mods to determine whether they are legit or not now do we?

Marta
06-18-2010, 06:56
Enough gets "locked down" already.
Why not just follow the money!
If the website asking for money has a link that lets you pay DIRECTLY to a worthwhile cause, then what's the problem. You either give or you don't
If they are asking you to send them money, well, maybe if I knew them personally and thought that they needed money............well, I'd consider it.

We don't need mods to determine whether they are legit or not now do we?

Ditto.

I don't donate to individuals who are collecting for charities. I donate to organizations.

(If an individual asks me for money on behalf of him/herself, then I might give them some money, knowing that they're going to spend it on themselves. But I'm going into that with my eyes open.)

The Secretary of State in NC has a record of registered charities, and the percentage of funds that are spent on fund-raising. It's an interesting read. There are a number of "charities" that spend >90% of their donations on the activity of fund-raising. A lot of them have button-pushing names, like "Sheriffs to Stop Teen Drug Abuse." (I think I made that one up, but there are a bunch of similar-sounding outfits working the phones.) One kicker is that the Secretary of State's list doesn't include for-profit fundraising organizations, and there are quite a few of those.

It's a wicked world, as always.

bulldog49
06-18-2010, 09:17
I I was wondering what other's thought could be done and possibly implimented to protect the members here from fraudulent charities, solicitations, scams, etc? -?

Common sense is all the protection anyone needs. I hate the mindset that people need someone else, i.e,. govt, etc to think for them and make decisions for them. A fool and his money are soon parted.

sbhikes
06-18-2010, 10:20
Maybe they should not allow people to start topics that solicit donations, implicitly or explicitly.

berkshirebirder
06-18-2010, 10:37
Maybe they should not allow people to start topics that solicit donations, implicitly or explicitly. --sbhikes

The question of using Whiteblaze to promote fundraisers was raised in another forum, to find out whether members cared one way or the other and if there are WB posting rules that apply.

My understanding is that there are guidelines in place. Generally, fundraisers that benefit the A.T. in some way are permitted topics, and those who start threads about fundraising efforts are asked to submit documenting info to a WB administrator.

I hope I stated this correctly. Alligator checked to see what position ATroll has taken in the past.

Old Hiker
06-18-2010, 10:48
I don't need "protection". If you think something is too good to be true, it is. There are "charities" here in the Tampa area that take in a LOT of money, but only a trickle goes to the so-called needy organization.

I do my homework and only work with those charities that can show me the paperwork about where their money goes, how much is fundraising charges, etc. Salvation Army and Goodwill come to mind. I'm a registered Scout leader, but the Boy Scouts use 20% of funds raised to raise funds. I'm not too happy with that.

Ultimately, if no one donates to the fundraisers who start threads on WB, that should take care of anyone starting threads to raise funds on WB......... I think I just confused myself!

Caveat Emptor!

Alligator
06-18-2010, 11:17
The question of using Whiteblaze to promote fundraisers was raised in another forum, to find out whether members cared one way or the other and if there are WB posting rules that apply.

My understanding is that there are guidelines in place. Generally, fundraisers that benefit the A.T. in some way are permitted topics, and those who start threads about fundraising efforts are asked to submit documenting info to a WB administrator.

I hope I stated this correctly. Alligator checked to see what position ATroll has taken in the past.Sort of:cool:.

Attroll and I had a brief discussion about this some time back. His indicated preference was that any solicitation be for AT groups/charities. I think he would be OK with other trail groups/charities as well. This is to prevent an escalation of these types of activities. So we'll keep an eye out for direct solicitations to make sure they are somehow going to trail groups/charities.

However, it is not the moderation team's responsibility to completely vet every charity that may get posted. Use your internet awareness and check things out, I'm sure there are guidelines posted out on the web about how to better pick a charity. Start with those and please be more respectful with questions about the charities.

We'll certainly yank the Nigeria scams as they come up but it's your money be careful where you send it.

Cookerhiker
06-18-2010, 11:30
...However, it is not the moderation team's responsibility to completely vet every charity that may get posted. Use your internet awareness and check things out, I'm sure there are guidelines posted out on the web about how to better pick a charity. Start with those and please be more respectful with questions about the charities. ....

To that end, Skyline has 2 excellent suggestions on the other thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1024542#post1024542).

Alligator
06-18-2010, 11:41
To that end, Skyline has 2 excellent suggestions on the other thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1024542#post1024542).Hey are you implicitly trying to get people to donate to WB:D.

berkshirebirder
06-18-2010, 12:23
Yes, that OTHER THREAD (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63020) is a real doozy. Somebody sure told me a thing or two.:welcome:banana

'Gator, my impaired reading skills caused me to combine one of Skyline's comments with yours. :eek: Sorry.

Lostone
06-18-2010, 17:38
http://www.irs.gov/app/pub-78/

http://www2.guidestar.org/Home.aspx

http://charitynavigator.org/

Is a good start.....

WalkinHome
06-18-2010, 17:46
I think in the commodities world it is called "DD". Due diligence. A fancy concept for common sense which doesn't seem to all that "common" anymore LOL.

FritztheCat
06-18-2010, 18:42
With charities, I think caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) should be the rule. If one wants to donate, they can. If not, not. I look at the charities and see if they are listed as a 501(c)(3) or whatever they claim to be, and how much of a donation goes to the stated purpose. Some charities spend an enormous amount on advertising so the majority of donations go to that rather than to the cause (Sierra Club comes to mind). I wouldn't want to see more regulation on these threads, just let people use common sense. If it feels right, check it out. If it doesn't feel right, don't donate.

My personal preference would be for someone to post a request for a charitible donation by linking their website with the specific information above, easy to find. Some of these places are pretty good about hiding their stuff but are required by law (I believe) to make public.

It's a real shame when a scam charity shows up and takes people's money for nothing because it makes it that much harder for the real charities to be successful.