PDA

View Full Version : Waterton Canyon Closure

wandering_bob
06-18-2010, 00:26
The northern terminus of the CT will be closed starting Aug 02 to allow dredging of the Strontia Springs resevoir.

Read the details and see a map of the reroute at the CTF website.

http://www.coloradotrail.org/waterton_closure.html

If you know anyone NOBO on the Ct, please let them know.

Dogwood
06-18-2010, 09:30
Thanks Wandering Bob for the update. I guess I can lop off about 10 miles to the Northern terminus of the CT now. Yippee less food to haul. Now, I have to refigure how I'm getting back to Denver after the CT! Ugh!

wandering_bob
06-18-2010, 10:42
Look on the positive side - you don't have to make that exposed, 7 mile gravel roadwalk through Waterton Canyon.

I on the other hand, starting SOBO on July 22nd, DO get that "priviledge".

You might post a request for transport options on the trailforums "Colorado Trail" forum. http://www.trailforums.com/index2.cfm?action=forum&roomID=13 Alternatively, you could call Denver RTD and ask them for possible bus routing.:-?

From the official notice : "For questions related to recreation, e-mail [email protected] ([email protected])."

WB

Shutterbug
06-18-2010, 13:06
The northern terminus of the CT will be closed starting Aug 02 to allow dredging of the Strontia Springs resevoir.

Read the details and see a map of the reroute at the CTF website.

http://www.coloradotrail.org/waterton_closure.html

If you know anyone NOBO on the Ct, please let them know.

The CTF map doesn't show the trail that connects from Roxborough State Park Visitor Center. It connects the CT to the Roxborough Trail system at Carpenter Peak. It would be a better alternative than the one shown on the CTF website.

If I were doing that hike, I would take the trail shown as #800 to Carpenter Peak, then would take the Carpenter Peak trail to the Visitor Center. Here is a link to a map showing the link from #800 to the Visitor Center -- http://parks.state.co.us/SiteCollectionImages/parks/Parks/Roxborough/RoxboroughAreaMap.pdf

Dogwood
06-18-2010, 19:13
Thanks Shutterbug. Just looked at that alternate in the CT Guidebook and the map in that book. That seems like a decent alternate worth looking at in greater detail. On Time!

Shutterbug
06-18-2010, 20:44
Thanks Shutterbug. Just looked at that alternate in the CT Guidebook and the map in that book. That seems like a decent alternate worth looking at in greater detail. On Time!

The Carpenter Peak trail is one of my favorite day hikes. I have hiked it at least 40 times. If you decide to take that route, be sure to take the 1/4 mile side trail to the peak. It provide a great view of Denver. On a clear day, you can see all of Denver and miles beyond.

Dogwood
06-18-2010, 21:24
How is the vehicle traffic in Roxborough SP for hitching a ride into Denver? Any public transportation within walking distance of the park?

Shutterbug, in the map link of RSP where is the CT coming in/going out?

Shutterbug
06-18-2010, 22:06
How is the vehicle traffic in Roxborough SP for hitching a ride into Denver? Any public transportation within walking distance of the park?

There is always a lot of traffic in Roxborough State Park. With Waterton Canyon being closed it will see even more.

I don't know about the public transportation. There is a fire station at the gate of Roxborough State Park, but I don't know if there is a bus stop.

You asked about where on the map the CT connects to the RSP map. Trail #800 is shown on both maps. It connects to the Colorado Trail just before Waterton Canyon and connects to the Carpenter Peak trail just 1/4 mile below the peak.

Shutterbug
06-18-2010, 22:46

If you carry a cell phone, there is coverage (Verizon) at Carpenter Peak. If you call a friend in Denver for a ride from Carpenter Peak, they can get to the Visitor Center about the same time that you will arrive.

There is a pay phone at the Visitor Center.

Dogwood
06-19-2010, 01:20
thanks again shutterbug for the beta.

On Track
06-19-2010, 14:04
Yes, Roxborough S.P. works well (for some) as an alternative to Waterton Canyon. But ... restrictions include no overnight parking, no camping, no dogs, no horses, no bicycles. Roxborough requires a day-use fee of $6.00.

smilinguy
06-28-2010, 21:59
I live about one mile from the Carpenter Peak trail head in Roxborough Park. I have no problem shuttling hikers when I am in town, and not traveling for work. The good news is that there are actually 3 different alternatives to the West Indian Creek access point being promoted by the CTF. Carpenter Peak is one of them, but there are two others that are shorter - one is 3.6 miles and the other is 5 miles. Feel free to email me at [email protected] for further information.