PDA

View Full Version : Hammock

SwingLow
06-18-2010, 10:35
I just bought a Hennessy Hammock at the last min since my two person tent is no longer possible without my hiking partner. Is there anything special I need to know about it? I know I will still need my sleeping pad and bag and if it gets cold an underquilt or something. I posted this question on Hammock Forums but only one person replied. Thanks!

couscous
06-18-2010, 11:04
Is it one of the new top loaders like the Deep Jungle or a bottom entry model like the Ultralite Backpacker A-Sym?

scope
06-18-2010, 11:06
This time of year it shouldn't be a problem, but a 20" pad will only insulate your backside. The sides of the hammock will surround you some and contact will have the same cooling properties - but just stake it out real good.

Hang the foot end a little higher. This allows your head to lay back a little flatter like a regular bed instead of having that raised up feeling.

Lay at a slight diagonal, feet to the right of the slit. A pillow or stuffed sack under your knees will make you more comfortable.

Unzip your sleeping bag all the way and use as a blanket, even when it cold. The little amount of warmth you might get by trying to sleep with it all zipped up is just not worth the effort.

Personally, I use the large figure9 caribiners and attach those to the tree straps. Makes it a whole lot easier to make adjustments. Remember, the stock tree straps are good for trees less than 8" in diameter - anything between 4-8" is optimal.

SwingLow
06-18-2010, 17:03
Thanks. Its an expedition side entry with a zipper.