PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this? Yosemite Permits

mts4602
06-18-2010, 13:23
Ok so about 6 months ago I made reservations to hike from Happy Isles to Red Meadows starting on July 4th. Well my trip has hit a few bumps and I will no longer be able to do this. But I am still planning on being in Yosemite on July 4th I just can't do the orginal trip I planned.

My question is would I be able to pick up my permit as planned on the 4th but instead drive up to Tuolumne Meadows and start hiking towards the valley on the 5th. The rules say after the first day you can go where ever you want provided you don't leave the trail. Obviously I am breaking this rule, but I at least will have a valid permit for the same exact trail during the same time period.

MTS

GA BASS
06-18-2010, 15:37
do it, breakin the law, breakin the law :banana

Rambler
06-20-2010, 23:16
Check in. Day permits are easier to get than you might think especially starting from Tuolumne.

mts4602
06-21-2010, 07:01
Check in. Day permits are easier to get than you might think especially starting from Tuolumne.

Yeah this is most likely what I'll try.

fiddlehead
06-21-2010, 07:35
I thought the permits were for camping, not day hiking.
I would go where I want.
You have a permit to camp, right?

From what i remember, this is only a 25 mile stretch.
Many people do it in a day. (I did once and was finished by 5 PM)
Of course i went downhill, same as you are hoping to do. (i did it on a PCT permit but didn't camp off of the PCT) That was 9 years ago though.

Bearpaw
06-21-2010, 10:20
I thought the permits were for camping, not day hiking.
I would go where I want.
You have a permit to camp, right?

From what i remember, this is only a 25 mile stretch.
Many people do it in a day. (I did once and was finished by 5 PM)
Of course i went downhill, same as you are hoping to do. (i did it on a PCT permit but didn't camp off of the PCT) That was 9 years ago though.

It's about 22 miles. I did the same thing in '07. Started a little before 7 AM at Tuolomne, finished at Happy Isle a little after 5. After the first 1000-foot climb, it really was literally 7000 feet downhill over the next 20 miles. Easy walking.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
06-21-2010, 11:54
Ok so about 6 months ago I made reservations to hike from Happy Isles to Red Meadows starting on July 4th. Well my trip has hit a few bumps and I will no longer be able to do this. But I am still planning on being in Yosemite on July 4th I just can't do the orginal trip I planned.

My question is would I be able to pick up my permit as planned on the 4th but instead drive up to Tuolumne Meadows and start hiking towards the valley on the 5th. The rules say after the first day you can go where ever you want provided you don't leave the trail. Obviously I am breaking this rule, but I at least will have a valid permit for the same exact trail during the same time period.

MTS

The only thing that matters is where you enter and where you are headed, not what trail you are on.

Instead of risking the ranger's wrath, why not just get a walkin-permit at Tuolumne Meadows, although you probably picked the worst weekend of the summer to start. We'll be right behind you on July 7 or 8 starting in TM hiking down. Last year we had no problem getting that permit on 6/29 for a 6/30 start (you can get day ahead or same day if still available). That very same permit was good for our entire trip - TM-Happy Isles - TM - Mount Whitney - and back to TM. Starting on the last day of the big weekend will probably work for you.

Your Happy Isle permit is the wront entry trailhead and that's pretty much all they care about. Happy Isles is a busy entry location, but Cathetral Lakes trailhead (the TM to Happy Isles entry designation) is nowhere near as popular.

ChinMusic
06-21-2010, 12:05
It's about 22 miles. I did the same thing in '07. Started a little before 7 AM at Tuolomne, finished at Happy Isle a little after 5. After the first 1000-foot climb, it really was literally 7000 feet downhill over the next 20 miles. Easy walking.

We have permits for Reds to Happy Isle, late July. We wimps are taking 2.5 days from Tuolumne to Happy Isle......:D

I want to take in Clouds Rest and Half Dome on the way down. I want to take it slow and slow down some more. I have a feeling I'm in for a treat (never been there).

Re Permits: We have permits for six. Does each person get their own permit, or just the "trip leader"? We might not stick together all the time so I hope the permits are individual.

Phreak
06-21-2010, 12:25
I want to take in Clouds Rest and Half Dome on the way down. I want to take it slow and slow down some more.
Clouds Rest is one of my favorite spots on the JMT. Well worth the side trip.

ChinMusic
06-21-2010, 12:39
Clouds Rest is one of my favorite spots on the JMT. Well worth the side trip.
I showed my peeps a YouTube video on Clouds Rest and they are having some concerns.

It's not THAT bad, is it? I assume it is crazy to go up there with dark clouds in the area (lightning). Would you go up there in windy conditions?

mts4602
06-21-2010, 12:51
The only thing that matters is where you enter and where you are headed, not what trail you are on.

Instead of risking the ranger's wrath, why not just get a walkin-permit at Tuolumne Meadows, although you probably picked the worst weekend of the summer to start. We'll be right behind you on July 7 or 8 starting in TM hiking down. Last year we had no problem getting that permit on 6/29 for a 6/30 start (you can get day ahead or same day if still available). That very same permit was good for our entire trip - TM-Happy Isles - TM - Mount Whitney - and back to TM. Starting on the last day of the big weekend will probably work for you.

Your Happy Isle permit is the wront entry trailhead and that's pretty much all they care about. Happy Isles is a busy entry location, but Cathetral Lakes trailhead (the TM to Happy Isles entry designation) is nowhere near as popular.

I know I know. July 4th is not best weekend to try to get permits haha. But this is my only week of vacation the entire year and I have to take it this week so it is what it is. I will try and get one of the walk in permits for catherdral lakes and hope for the best.

Dogwood
06-21-2010, 13:39
If you go to pick up your previously reserved permit at the Backcountry Office in YV first and you explain your situation to the Rangers I think they will try to work with you. You are there at a busy time of the yr though. There will be competition for hiking permits! I would get to the BC Office as early as possible and a day in advance of when I was you planning to hike. They are concerned about your pt of entry, exit pt, and hiking time frame. If you change your entry pt that usually means they will issue a new permit, but do inquire at the BC office, as sometimes I have had my permit altered with a hand written ranger note on my permit in Yosemite. It might mean the difference of getting a hiking permit for when you want to hike and save you a few dollars if they don't have to re-issue a new permit. As others have stated it's easier to get a camping/hiking permit(if you so choose to camp between TM and HI) by entering at TM and going to HI rather than reversing the trip. Going from TM to HI is almost all downhill. Many do it as a day hike. BTW, instead of driving up to TM you could also take a shuttle right to the TM TH or PO/General Store/Food Stand(decent food resupply). Might make logistics easier.

Chin Music, if I was doing your trek, that is the way I would do it, by stopping off at Clouds Rest(perhaps the best view of YV, and not as crowded as the top of Half Dome) and hiking up Half Dome to take in the sunset/sunrise. Sunrises are more popular and crowded though. Shortly before the junction of the JMT/Half Dome spur(going into HI), shortly after crossing a small stream(you'll probably need water from here), there are some campsites off to the left in the brush overlooking a small canyon that are quiet and protected and might make a decent base camp for Half Dome. I would also suggest taking the Mist Tr to the HI TH as opposed to the official JMT route. It is more scenic, IMO. BUT, also more dangerous because of all the stone steps. I would also make a stop at Devil's Postpile near Reds Meadow. It's an unusual geological formation well preserved. Yes, you are in for a treat! Some supreme eye candy!

There are a Max number of hikers that you can put on one permit, but I think all six of you will be on one permit. Each of you in your party will not each have a separate permit. However you may have some options on how the permit is issued. Ask the Rangers.

Clouds Rest is not on the JMT. It's on an alternate.

ChinMusic
06-21-2010, 14:29
Chin Music, if I was doing your trek, that is the way I would do it, by stopping off at Clouds Rest(perhaps the best view of YV, and not as crowded as the top of Half Dome) and hiking up Half Dome to take in the sunset/sunrise. Sunrises are more popular and crowded though. Shortly before the junction of the JMT/Half Dome spur(going into HI), shortly after crossing a small stream(you'll probably need water from here), there are some campsites off to the left in the brush overlooking a small canyon that are quiet and protected and might make a decent base camp for Half Dome. I would also suggest taking the Mist Tr to the HI TH as opposed to the official JMT route. It is more scenic, IMO. BUT, also more dangerous because of all the stone steps. I would also make a stop at Devil's Postpile near Reds Meadow. It's an unusual geological formation well preserved. Yes, you are in for a treat! Some supreme eye candy!
I actually had ALL that in the works. Postpile on day one. I've been reading about columnar basalt in preparation. I wanted to camp about half way down from Clouds Rest. I'm told at about 9000' there is a spring with beautiful ponderosa pines. But we will prob move on down to the campsite before the HDT turnoff so we can get to Half Dome as early as possible. The Mist Tr was on my list too.

There are a Max number of hikers that you can put on one permit, but I think all six of you will be on one permit. Each of you in your party will not each have a separate permit. However you may have some options on how the permit is issued. Ask the Rangers.

That kinda worries me that we would have to stick together. It's like herding cats that way. I'd rather have it be 6 individuals than a group of 6.

Clouds Rest is not on the JMT. It's on an alternate.
Blue blaze baby..........:banana

Phreak
06-21-2010, 15:03
I showed my peeps a YouTube video on Clouds Rest and they are having some concerns.

It's not THAT bad, is it? I assume it is crazy to go up there with dark clouds in the area (lightning). Would you go up there in windy conditions?

Yes, I would go up in windy conditions but not if there are storm clouds in the area.

Dogwood
06-21-2010, 16:20
Chin Music, I wouldn't sweat it for all six in your party to always have to stick together. If your party were to get separated and a ranger asked to see your permit from those who didn't have it it would not be a BIG deal if you explained what happened. You might explain to the BC office that you would like a copy of your permit or two permits if you were really concerned. I don't think it will be an issue though. Inquire at the BC office about your plans and/or concerns if your party was to get separated. The rangers are usually very cooperative.

My idea is to camp as close to the Half Dome spur as possible because it gives more flexibility if you want to take in a sunset or sunrise from on top. Realize, hiking up to the top of HD is THE thing to do for MANY that visit Yosemite NP so it gets real busy, especially when you will be there! Most want to see sunrise from up there so they start out at the HI TH or from the nearby established CG between Nevada Falls and the HDT spur(don't recall the name of it right now though) EARLY in the morning and want/need to get back down before or shortly after dark. I think with sunset you will have less crowds. All depends on your plans and timing when you will be in the vicinity of the JMT/HDT junction. The later in the morning you hit the cables the more crowded it will be! Also. ask at the BC office if the spring part way up HD is flowing. It might make for less of a water haul if it is and you figure that into your plans. If you get done with HD early and down the Mist Tr past Nevada and Vernal Falls you might make it in time to beat the crowds at the showers, laundry, and BUFFET at Curry Village!

The quietest, most off the beaten track, most often available, and least expensive place that I like to stay in YV is at the Back Packer's CG. From here you can walk or take a free bus ride to just about anyplace in the valley. Check out the climbers at Camp 4 and El Cap, Ahwahnee Hotel architecture(go inside too!), Yosemite and Bridal Veil Falls, Ansel Adams Gallery, and park exhibits. All(except Bridal Veil Falls) within walking distance of the BP CG Also, near the BP CG is a well stocked general store(hot food and BEER/WINE!) and PO(might want to mail some stuff home so you don't have to take it back with you on the plane!)

Have a great trek!