PDA

View Full Version : Atkins to Pearisburg

Bruce Hudson
06-18-2010, 13:24
Summer time and teachers are out. I'm looking to do the section between Atkins and Pearisburg starting late next week. I hear raves about the folks at Happy Hiker in Atkins for a possible shutttle, but can't find a contact. I would prefer to hike north, but another option seems to be the Rendezvous motel in Pearisburg. Any comments. Anything going on in that region I should know about. In the previous three summers I've gotten from the approach trail and Springer to Atkins. But time is going to be limited this summer.

Cookerhiker
06-18-2010, 13:34
Summer time and teachers are out. I'm looking to do the section between Atkins and Pearisburg starting late next week. I hear raves about the folks at Happy Hiker in Atkins for a possible shutttle, but can't find a contact. I would prefer to hike north, but another option seems to be the Rendezvous motel in Pearisburg. Any comments. Anything going on in that region I should know about. In the previous three summers I've gotten from the approach trail and Springer to Atkins. But time is going to be limited this summer.

I've used the Rendezvous several times including the stretch you're hiking. On my winter '05 section hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=89307), I left my car with them and they shuttled me down to Atkins. They also shuttled me for a missing piece on that hike. One month later, I did a southbound section hike Craig Creek Valley to Pearisburg for which they also shuttled me.

At least based on my experience, you can't go wrong with them.

Awol2003
06-18-2010, 14:02
Happy Hiker 276-783-3754

Woods Hole is another possibility 540-921-3444

JEBjr
06-18-2010, 15:48
I stayed at Wood's Hole on Tuesday night. Neville and Michael are great hosts. If you are hiking from Adkins to P'burg, Wood's Hole is a must stop. I think they are about 7 miles North of Wapiti Shelter. Their info is in most of the journals if not all in that stretch of the AT.

I don't have his number but Tom Hoffman's name was in several of the Shelter Journals for offering shuttles in the Pearisburg area.

couscous
06-18-2010, 16:29
http://www.woodsholehostel.com/ - NOBO 616.0 - Sugar Run Gap, VA 663
Restless Legs stopped by there on Monday .. and Tuesday morning since he left his journal and trail guide there by mistake .. and highly recommends stopping there.

ratfaceraines
06-18-2010, 19:47
i run a service out of pearisburg, if interested please call 540-921-7433(RIDE) don