PDA

View Full Version : Finally got it together

Storm
06-18-2010, 19:17
Well it only took about six months but I think I finally have all the gear I need to attempt a wilderness overnighter.

Tent= Tarptent Moment
Pack= ULA Catalyst
Bag = Marmot Atom
Pad = Thermarest Small
Stove = Pepsi can
Too much other stuff to list now, will ask for a critique before a longer hike.
My base weight right now is 18.8 pounds without any food or water.

Tested everything as much as possible near home now I'm going to drive over to the Laurel Highlands trail and try an overnighter.

Wish me luck. :)

Many Walks
06-18-2010, 19:21
Looks like you're on a good track. Have fun!

Mountain Wildman
06-18-2010, 19:23
Good Luck!!!
Nice list so far.

Rick500
06-18-2010, 19:27
Have fun. I predict you'll enjoy your Moment.

Luddite
06-18-2010, 19:53
What kind of Thermarest did you get?

crazyonelost
06-18-2010, 20:00
just watch out for the bear around the 6 mile marker. Saw a cub,no mamma there a few weeks ago on my trip on the LHHT. Creeks/streams were running well

Skidsteer
06-18-2010, 20:32
You'll be fine. Now forget about gear and go have some fun. :)

Blissful
06-18-2010, 20:33
Have a good time!

Storm
06-18-2010, 21:11
Pad question, it's a red one that cost $79, self inflating unless you have to blow it up. Might have been a mistake because I spent two nights on it near home and it's not too comfortable. Might have to get a bigger and thicker pad but wanted to give this one a fair try.

Dogwood
06-18-2010, 21:26
You got a good looking gear list there Storm.

Get out there and use now! Have a great overnighter!

johnnybgood
06-19-2010, 19:39
Pad question, it's a red one that cost $79, self inflating unless you have to blow it up. Might have been a mistake because I spent two nights on it near home and it's not too comfortable. Might have to get a bigger and thicker pad but wanted to give this one a fair try.
Big Agnes is red but is not self inflating . Mine is 2.5" and quite comfortable but not a lightweight as the one I now have my eye on.
Pacific Outdoor has a new UL pad designed for 2 season ,warm weather use.
The Ether Elite , 20"x72"x 2.5" weighs only 14 ounces .
SUGGESTED PRICE is $71 at their wesite: www.pacoutdoor.com (http://www.pacoutdoor.com)

flemdawg1
06-19-2010, 19:46
Big Agnes is red but is not self inflating . Mine is 2.5" and quite comfortable but not a lightweight as the one I now have my eye on.
Pacific Outdoor has a new UL pad designed for 2 season ,warm weather use.
The Ether Elite , 20"x72"x 2.5" weighs only 14 ounces .
SUGGESTED PRICE is $71 at their wesite: www.pacoutdoor.com (http://www.pacoutdoor.com)

That's only 5oz lighter than the BA AirCore mummy. The Clearview mummy is 14oz.

Storm
06-20-2010, 18:30
Well, I'm back home.

After this weekend I think I'll change my name from Storm to Drizzel. That 6 miles of trail to the first campsite kicked my butt. Took me 4.5 hours to get there yesterday and the same to come out today. I was one tired puppy at both ends. My hat is off to you guys (and gals) that do big miles on the trail. Footsore and me were planning a three nighter next month but if the next two sections are anything like the first one we may have to change our mind.

Moment did well in a thunderstorm Saturday night. Will be looking at the pads you guys mentioned, thanks.

But I had fun, guess that's what counts.