PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hiking

fatmatt
11-05-2004, 01:34
Since I am from Indiana, and it is really cold up here. Where is some place that would be reasonable temperature wise to hike this winter?

Bloodroot
11-05-2004, 03:35
Go to the Indiana DNR website.

Jaybird
11-05-2004, 06:38
Since I am from Indiana, and it is really cold up here. Where is some place that would be reasonable temperature wise to hike this winter?

Yo fatmatt

it's COLD most places...out on the trail...hey, they call it WINTER..for a real reason!

BUT, if you feel the need to get out there...in the cold....the southern part of the A.T. is my fave....i like to do a "dayhike" or two....in the Roan Mtn/Carvers Gap area each December.

One year...it started sleeting & snowing when i was atop Roan Bald....it was GREAT! :D

Be careful & good luck with your hike!

orangebug
11-05-2004, 07:58
All temperatures are reasonable if you have the knowledge and the gear. I like winter hiking as it is far easier to get warm than to get cool. The Southern Apps can be deadly for the poorly prepared and the unlucky. It is always a good idea to hike with someone for backup and safety.

orangebug
11-05-2004, 07:59
BTW, what is "OFF TOPIC" about this thread?

Bloodroot
11-05-2004, 08:17
BTW, what is "OFF TOPIC" about this thread?
I thought he was talking about places to hike in Indiana, thus it being "Off Topic"

Youngblood
11-05-2004, 08:20
I have done a little winter backpacking in the southern Appalachians in or near Georgia on the Pinhoti Trail, the Benton MacKaye Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Foothills Trail and the AT south of the Smokies.

I check the weather forecasts carefully and avoid winter storms, snow, ice storms and such. I plan on 20 degree temperature but have been in low teens on occasion and just wear all my clothes for additional insulation if needed. You need to pay attention that the temperature and wind can be worse in the mountains than in the nearbye cities. Selection of campsites is critical; get educated about leeward site selections, temperature inversions, camping at higher elevations, etc. Also, be aware that it is dark for a large percentage of each 24 hour period and this means less available hiking hours, more hours in you sleeping bag and on your sleeping pad. It is important to realize that you need warmth from your sleeping pad and lots of cushioning... you might be on it for 14 hours at a time.

Winter can be a great time out there as the vistas are wide open without the leaf cover... it is also more unforgiving of mistakes. Things tend to freeze- like you, wet footwear, water bottles, wet clothing, wet guylines, etc. You need to have a clear plan ahead of time of how to handle whatever comes up and to understand your limitations so you can just bail if you figure the conditions are going to exceed your limitations.

Youngblood

Bloodroot
11-05-2004, 08:31
I have done a little winter backpacking in the southern Appalachians in or near Georgia on the Pinhoti Trail, the Benton MacKaye Trail, the Bartram Trail, the Foothills Trail and the AT south of the Smokies.

I check the weather forecasts carefully and avoid winter storms, snow, ice storms and such. I plan on 20 degree temperature but have been in low teens on occasion and just wear all my clothes for additional insulation if needed. You need to pay attention that the temperature and wind can be worse in the mountains than in the nearbye cities. Selection of campsites is critical; get educated about leeward site selections, temperature inversions, camping at higher elevations, etc. Also, be aware that it is dark for a large percentage of each 24 hour period and this means less available hiking hours, more hours in you sleeping bag and on your sleeping pad. It is important to realize that you need warmth from your sleeping pad and lots of cushioning... you might be on it for 14 hours at a time.

Winter can be a great time out there as the vistas are wide open without the leaf cover... it is also more unforgiving of mistakes. Things tend to freeze- like you, wet footwear, water bottles, wet clothing, wet guylines, etc. You need to have a clear plan ahead of time of how to handle whatever comes up and to understand your limitations so you can just bail if you figure the conditions are going to exceed your limitations.

Youngblood
Excellent post. Youngblood you are always full of good info. From now on when I have questions regarding the trail, I'm gonna direct them towards you.

The Solemates
11-05-2004, 10:14
There is a 60-mile "thru" trail about 2 hours to the South of Evansville near the KY/TN state line in the Land Between the Lakes Corridor. The trail is aptly named the "North-South Trail." Im not exactly sure what the conditions of the trail is. Im sure it is rather easy and simple to follow. That may be a good start. In fact, I am pondering doing this trail right after New Years, so thats how I knew about it. There are plenty of other options within driving distance in KY as well. Of course, if you are willing to fly, that opens up everywhere.

chris
11-05-2004, 11:08
It depends on how far you are willing to drive. I recently escaped from Indiana, but when I was there, I came to the conclusion that I was basically stuck with either local hiking around Bloomington, or making the haul to the Smokys, which were colder, but atleast pretty. Now, I'm in the Pacific Northwest and it is colder, and has more snow. Just have to deal with it. I'll be freezing my arse up around 4000 feet this weekend in the Olympics, on snow.

If you are looking to fly or drive for a few days, I liked the Santa Catalina mountains outside of Tucson. Section E on the PCT would be quite doable in the winter time (Mojave desert). I'm going to Death Valley for the winter to escape some rain, although it might be just as cold.

weary
11-05-2004, 11:14

Winter is a delightful time for hiking most everywhere, but expecially in the north. No bugs. No crowds. Snow buries the rocks and roots, creating a nice smooth incline plane. And most importantly, the only time the Appalachian Trail is truly wild, truly wilderness is during the winter.

Nor is winter gear especially complex. All that is really needed is sufficient clothing to stay warm once you stop hiking for the day. My only special gear are long johns, boots big enough for wool socks and snowshoes. Otherwise I just carry multiple use stuff I've collected over the years, like extra wool sweaters, a down jacket, heavy mittens and most importantly a coat and outer pants that break the wind. Basically, you need the same gear used by ice fishermen on exposed lakes

Make your first winter overnight close to a road and home so if you have chosen wrong, you can escape easily. Save vigorous backcountry expeditions for after you become experienced. Also winter is not the time I practice ultra light hiking. One of the pleasures is the challenge to survive comfortably, despite the worst that nature can produce.

I have yet to experience not surviving, but I'm guessing it's not pleasant.

Weary

fatmatt
11-08-2004, 17:52
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I should have stated that I wanted to hike anywhere, not just the AT or in Indiana. Thanks Solemates for the idea that is close to me!

fatmatt
11-08-2004, 17:54
I just searched that trail Solemates, and do you know that it is supposed to be a mountain biking trail?

The Solemates
11-08-2004, 19:31
Yes, its open to mtn biking, but people hike the North-South Trail as well. from what I have read, its obviously not very remote, but seems like it would be a fun trail to hike. Some links...the first one is the best.

http://www.lbl.org/Home.html

http://www.llbean.com/parksearch/parks/html/2839gd.htm

http://www.kentuckylake.com/lbl

http://www.grandrivers.com/

http://www.kentuckylakebarkley.org/

http://kentuckylake.info/lbl/hillmanferry.htm

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southern/lblcmp.htm

MOWGLI
11-08-2004, 19:52

Weary

Weary, I trust you'll let us all know if that changes.

On a serious note, Youngbloods post was indeed an excellent one. We hiked the Foothills Trail together last January. One morning we awoke to temps in the high teens - low 20s. I went down to get some water out of the stream. I splashed some water on one of the rocks next to the stream. About 2 seconds later I stepped on the same rock, and it was covered with ice. I was able to catch my fall, but spilled a pot full of water on my hand, which immediatell froze. By the time I walked 150 yards to my campsite, I was miserable. So... there is little margin for error. Thankfully my friend Youngblood offered me something to warm my paw up.

Regarding places to hike in winter, I am looking at hiking the section of the Florida Trail that runs through Eglin Air Force Base this January. ANyone want to join me? I received reports today that Hurricane Ivan spared that area. This place is home to the largest remaining old-growth Longleaf Pine forest in the world. I hear tell its beautiful.

Arizona would be sweet too http://www.aztrail.org/ as would Big Bend Natl Park in Texas http://www.nps.gov/bibe/

Ramble~On
11-08-2004, 22:37
fatmatt, I like winter hiking as much if not more than summer hiking.
I pretty much keep my winter jaunts limited to GA,NC,TN and VA.
As far as places to hike that are "reasonable temperature wise"
Any of these areas are no better or worse than others.
"Reasonable temperature wise" in winter to me means winter temps.
I like to go out into the snowstorms and I like to get up in elevation.
I live about 15 minutes from the GSMNP and winter is the only time I can feel alone in the park.
Last winter I never took a thermometer with me and didn't pay much attention to the temps. This year I plan to record the temps and do some more journals.
"Reasonable temperature wise" I don't think that I can truely answer for you cause I don't know your definition of "reasonable"
At elevation there's a huge difference between day temperature and night temperature.
There is a huge difference between my summer gear and my winter gear.
Winter hiking also presents the problem of transportation. Which roads leading to trailheads are passable and will you be able to drive the same road when its time to leave.
At any rate, if you are new to winter backpacking and are planning more than a day hike....be careful.

hikerdude
11-09-2004, 11:23
You guy's are the best.
Its warmer in the south. In Pennsylvania the A.T. can have 6 foot on north side of the blue ridge drifting to 10. And dry and sunny on the southface in March. That's the big global picture.
You exchange so much information I must give back some truth. for better or worst. But this thread got all the warm spots.
I camp out all year long, then throw everything in the dryer and eat at the Restaurant and head back out, that's key. Look the thing to do is buy snowshoes and give em a try. I love it. I would rather backcountry ski like Zealand to Lincoln all winter myself and do some night sking at Cannon. That's what the two side compression straps are for on your back pack, to keep your binding in the middle and velcro strap the tips together if you must posthole, I mean hike.
I get around pretty good here all winter camping out. I got a Ice axe, crampons skis and the best bag F.F. W.M. , Mount-Bell this year make. They all talk real big -60 and all, but -20 is about the coldest it gets a few times a year up north.
I formed a do or die ski club years ago, of laid off constuction workers cause the ground is so 6 foot frost and harder than rock and all, right? But they are used to the cold. You must got a office job in front of a computer. Not me, I'm poor. Don't listen, my brother never did.

c.coyle
11-09-2004, 12:51

Well, be careful, or one morning you'll wake up dead.

Pencil Pusher
11-09-2004, 15:34
Since "anywhere" is an option, how about Belize? Why freeze your ass off if you can enjoy some nice weather? Endure the winter hiking in flip-flops and shorts:
http://www.usatoday.com/weather/cityforecast.aspx?LocationID=BHXX0001
http://www.belizex.com/hiking.htm

English is the official language. While I've never been there, my sister went on a two month trek down there and had fun, living on the cheap and enjoying various sites and areas. Return to work with a nice tan (or peeling/itching burn).

Pencil Pusher
11-09-2004, 15:41
Dagnabbit, no edit button! So the second link I just pulled from a Google search, it appears they're vacation planner$. Good info regardless.

The Solemates
11-10-2004, 16:03
I just found another trail within driving of evansville. The Sheltowee Trace National Recreation Trail. 260 miles. Id like to give it a go sometime...

http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/

minnesotasmith
11-11-2004, 04:21
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/31-70/

Pencil Pusher
11-11-2004, 06:33
Yes, surviving winter conditions can be tough:

http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/photos/581.html

fatmatt
12-13-2004, 15:14
Well I think I am going to hike at Land Between the Lakes down there in Kentucky after the first of the year. Does anyone know if you can purchase a map of the trails at the park, or if they are provided. Because the one online is very grainy. Thanks for all the input!
-Fatmatt

The Solemates
12-13-2004, 15:20
No idea, but I dont think I would worry about it too much. If it was me, I would just print out the maps online and follow the path and blazes. Bring a GPS if you are worried. There is a book out that may have maps.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0897325397/qid=1102965478/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-4838492-7079342?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I wouldnt mind trying to meet up with you sometime, but Im not sure I will be able to. Im already going skiing for a week and then hiking for a week along the AT over the holidays. What dates are you planning on doing the N-S Trail?

The Will
12-13-2004, 15:53
fatmatt,

As you are open to hiking anywhere within the lower 48, check out Big Bend National Park in Texas. I may get 7-10 days there over Xmas break myself.

ty

MOWGLI
12-13-2004, 16:21
I'll be thru-hiking the Alabama Pinhoti Trail starting Saturday the 18th of December, breaking only for Christmas & Christmas Eve. I'll be keeping a journal on Trailjournals for those who might be interested in this 100+ mile National Recreation Trail. WB's very own Youngblood will be joining me.

stickman
12-13-2004, 21:19
My winter hiking experience is limited to areas close to streams or rivers, where I could always get to water even if it meant going through some ice to find it. But what about along the AT? How do you get water from a frozen spring? It seems to me that if there isn't snow to melt, that could pose a real problem.

MOWGLI
12-13-2004, 22:12
My winter hiking experience is limited to areas close to streams or rivers, where I could always get to water even if it meant going through some ice to find it. But what about along the AT? How do you get water from a frozen spring? It seems to me that if there isn't snow to melt, that could pose a real problem.

Springs mean flowing water. As long as the spring is flowing, unless it is zero degrees, you should be able to get water. Accessing water from streams can be easier in winter.

stickman
12-13-2004, 23:01
I guess what I meant was, how cold does it have to be before a spring freezes somewhere below ground level and stops flowing? How common is that along the southern portions of the AT? I'm thinking of a section hike (Springer to Fontana Dam) in late January or February. Is getting water likely to be a problem?

orangebug
12-13-2004, 23:19
I had temperatures near -10F at Tricorner Knob Shelter. The spring kept the snow away from it. There was ice away from it, but it never froze in the 2 days I was stuck there.

I don't think you will have a great deal of trouble getting spring water in the Southern Apps.

minnesotasmith
12-14-2004, 09:23
"I guess what I meant was, how cold does it have to be before a spring freezes somewhere below ground level and stops flowing?"

I spent a winter in a cabin in northern Minnesota, about 30 miles from the Canadian border, and often got water from a spring there. It did not ever freeze over, although it hit -25* F. (actual, no wind chill) multiple times that winter. The small lake 1/2 mile from where I lived got ice 22" thick (I cut a hole and measured it), to give you an idea of how extreme the winter was. I believe that spring was fed by water coming from pretty deep, though, as there was no sloped ground anywhere near it.

I was repeatedly told by Minnesota natives that the soil normally freezes down to a depth of four or five feet during the winter. Also, whether the soil is relatively dry vs. water saturated, and whether there is a thick layer of snow on top of the soil before the really cold weather starts, both have a certain amount to do with how deep the soil freezes.

To sum it up, if a spring is fed from below the depth the soil has frozen, I would say that it's a pretty good bet that the spring won't freeze during the winter.

Pringles
12-14-2004, 16:16
I'm strongly considering a hike south of Pearisburg at the end of this week. If it snows, how hard is it to find the trail? Do you just sit in a shelter/tent until it melts?

Thanks for any advice. This has been a great thread!

Pringles

LIhikers
12-14-2004, 18:52
There's nothing quite like waking up in the morning and finding ice on the INSIDE of the walls of your tent :eek:

stickman
12-14-2004, 22:26
Thanks. Orangebug and Minnesota Smith. Nothing like the voice of experience.

fatmatt
12-15-2004, 14:06
No idea, but I dont think I would worry about it too much. If it was me, I would just print out the maps online and follow the path and blazes. Bring a GPS if you are worried. There is a book out that may have maps.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0897325397/qid=1102965478/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-4838492-7079342?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I wouldnt mind trying to meet up with you sometime, but Im not sure I will be able to. Im already going skiing for a week and then hiking for a week along the AT over the holidays. What dates are you planning on doing the N-S Trail?
Hey thanks alot. I just wondered about the map because it shows landmarks and stuff and I can't read them from the map. I'm not too worried about it though. My buddy Energizer and I will be hiking it sometime after the 2nd of Jan. We will probably be out only 3 or 4 days as it is not that long. But we're testing things that we might want to do for our Rock Gap-Damascus section hike next summer.

Rain Man
12-15-2004, 14:13
There's nothing quite like waking up in the morning and finding ice on the INSIDE of the walls of your tent :eek:

LOL.. that happened to me the last two mornings ... in my own backyard.

I bought an REI Sub-Kilo 20 degree sleeping bag and wanted to test it. The prediction for last night was 14 degrees and the night before was for 24 degrees. So, I set up the rain fly and footprint of my REI Half-Dome Plus, threw in two sleeping pads (I ain't ALL crazy), and the Sub-Kilo and the two pillows from my bed. The pads were an old model full-length Therm-A-Rest and a Ridge Rest.

I was very comfortable both nights, and there was ice on the inside of the rain fly both mornings. The zipper thermometer this morning said 20 and yesterday 28 or so.

Oh, I did wear thermal long johns and a knit cap. OH... and I put in a Lexan liter bottle full of boiling water, wrapped in a t-shirt. It was still warm both mornings!
:sun
Rain Man

Youngblood
12-15-2004, 15:30
LOL.. that happened to me the last two mornings ... in my own backyard.

I bought an REI Sub-Kilo 20 degree sleeping bag and wanted to test it. The prediction for last night was 14 degrees and the night before was for 24 degrees. So, I set up the rain fly and footprint of my REI Half-Dome Plus, threw in two sleeping pads (I ain't ALL crazy), and the Sub-Kilo and the two pillows from my bed. The pads were an old model full-length Therm-A-Rest and a Ridge Rest.

I was very comfortable both nights, and there was ice on the inside of the rain fly both mornings. The zipper thermometer this morning said 20 and yesterday 28 or so.

Oh, I did wear thermal long johns and a knit cap. OH... and I put in a Lexan liter bottle full of boiling water, wrapped in a t-shirt. It was still warm both mornings!
Rain Man

Rain Man,

Do you use both pads in 20 degree weather, the thermarest stacked with the ridgerest?

Youngblood

Rain Man
12-15-2004, 19:37
Do you use both pads in 20 degree weather, the thermarest stacked with the ridgerest?

Yep... put the RidgeRest on top of the Therm-A-Rest. Very comfy!!!!
Rain Man

fatmatt
12-24-2004, 11:30
Well, since we have about 2 feet of snow up here, I don't think I will be making the trip for a hike. :( Thanks for all the info though!

The Solemates
12-24-2004, 11:40
You're gonna let that stop you?! Come on man, more snow = more fun! We still plan on going.

neo
12-24-2004, 12:52
coldest trip for me was a 3 night hike at savage gulf a few years back 5 degrees 1st night,0 degrees 2nd night,- 5 below 0 the 3rd night.i had the whole park to myself,i loved it :sun neo

fatmatt
12-25-2004, 23:11
My problem is that I do not have a lot of snow or winter gear, and since we have 2 feet up here I do not know if I will even attempt to go anywhere before school starts back the 10th. I really wanted to hike too!

JeffG
01-17-2005, 20:34
I am with you, Fatmatt. Two feet of snow is kind of intimidating for some newbies like us.

c.coyle
01-17-2005, 20:54
I am with you, Fatmatt. Two feet of snow is kind of intimidating for some newbies like us.

You need to get you some snowshoes! :dance I'm prayin' for a foot or two here in Pa.