PDA

View Full Version : Best way in 3 months - where to where?

Earthstarlover
06-19-2010, 11:50
Hi All,
I'm an Aussie with 3 months to walk the AT starting late July. Which would be the most scenic section (and direction north south or south north) to see mountain scenery? Really looking forward to it! PS I'm no fast walker, just average and contemplative.
Many thanks,
Glenn

Ender
06-19-2010, 12:14
Well, it all boils down to personal preference. But my suggestion would be the northern part of the trail. With three months, you could easily do Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont, even if you aren't walking all that fast. That would be my suggestion, in either direction. Though if you head south, if you get to the Vermont border before your three months are up, you could keep walking into Mass and Connecticut.

max patch
06-19-2010, 16:16
Easy. Given your start date and your preference for mountain scenery you want to start at Katahdin in Maine and hike south.

Cookerhiker
06-19-2010, 21:25
Another vote for Ender and Max's suggestions.

Blissful
06-19-2010, 21:38
Late July you'd need to start in Katahdin and head south. But it is tough going. You'll have more than enough mountains for sure.

Earthstarlover
06-20-2010, 03:58
Thanks All,
I'm pleased you're unanimous. Makes sense to me too so that's what I'll do. BTW, a late August start from Maine would still be OK wouldn't it? (Just giving myself a little leeway).
Cheers,
Glenn

ZeroC
06-20-2010, 06:55
Depends how far you make it, you'd definitely start getting sub-freezing temps once you get to the white mountains and snow in Vermont at the beginning of October is not uncommon.

Earthstarlover
06-20-2010, 09:43
New friends,
I appreciate your responses. I have since done more research and frankly, starting from the start in Maine looks difficult, a hard, trackless (in places) walk. So now I ask you this, if you'll kindly respond. I think a well marked and smooth trail will best allow me to walk without boulder hopping and rough cross-country walking, despite the blazes. I'm thinking the balds will be most beautiful, with a well defined track to follow, up high, looking far, not down low amongst the trees. I'll be a solo walker and don't want to risk misadventure. Based on this, would you suggest I give Maine and maybe New Hampshire a miss? I'll go anywhere where there is a visible trail to follow, say like in Nepal, Ladakh, Alps, New Zealand, Morocco. I'm just not so into bushwacking anymore. So! in 3 months, what do you now recommend? It's much appreciated, I tell you.

garlic08
06-20-2010, 10:25
I'm not sure where you heard about "trackless", unless you mean bare rock. I hiked it without once looking at a map--it's quite well marked and an extremely well-traveled track. There is virtually no bushwhacking. And the first 50 miles of the 100 mile wilderness, in my recollection, are on very good and relatively level trail, given decent weather conditions at least. It should be a good "break-in".

As you get into southern Maine and certainly New Hampshire, you will get into the really tough, sometimes risky, relentless, and repetitive climbing that gives the area its reputation. There are a few miles here and there of boulder-hopping and a little scrambling, but it it's ever truly hazardous, there's a steel rung or bolt for a hand or foothold. It seldom if ever rises above Class II in difficulty.

I say go for it with your original plan. It's a beautiful trail. There's a reason it's so well-traveled.

max patch
06-20-2010, 10:37
New friends,
I appreciate your responses. I have since done more research and frankly, starting from the start in Maine looks difficult, a hard, trackless (in places) walk. So now I ask you this, if you'll kindly respond. I think a well marked and smooth trail will best allow me to walk without boulder hopping and rough cross-country walking, despite the blazes. I'm thinking the balds will be most beautiful, with a well defined track to follow, up high, looking far, not down low amongst the trees. I'll be a solo walker and don't want to risk misadventure. Based on this, would you suggest I give Maine and maybe New Hampshire a miss? I'll go anywhere where there is a visible trail to follow, say like in Nepal, Ladakh, Alps, New Zealand, Morocco. I'm just not so into bushwacking anymore. So! in 3 months, what do you now recommend? It's much appreciated, I tell you.

You've gotten some bad info from someone.

The over 10,000 people who have reported hiking the entire AT include a blind man, a man with MD who used two crutches, a man with an amputated leg, and people over 80 and under 10. You can too.

Earthstarlover
06-20-2010, 10:57
Hi Garlic,
I'm probably concerned about sections like the Mahoosuc Notch (it has steel rungs?) and White Mountains (look trackless in the web photos I've seen). I'm not really a wimp, but I do want a proper trail to follow on my own, an obvious, formed trail. I'm just used to obvious, formed trails in the countries I mentioned previously. What emerges from this discussion here will either make or break my planned walk. I'm an experienced formed trail walker but I don't want to hang off rock faces or slog across ankle breaking terrain alone. I'll rely on your and collective guidance here and many thanks for your help.

Cookerhiker
06-20-2010, 11:01
I'm not sure where you heard about "trackless", unless you mean bare rock. I hiked it without once looking at a map--it's quite well marked and an extremely well-traveled track. There is virtually no bushwhacking. And the first 50 miles of the 100 mile wilderness, in my recollection, are on very good and relatively level trail, given decent weather conditions at least. It should be a good "break-in".

As you get into southern Maine and certainly New Hampshire, you will get into the really tough, sometimes risky, relentless, and repetitive climbing that gives the area its reputation. There are a few miles here and there of boulder-hopping and a little scrambling, but it it's ever truly hazardous, there's a steel rung or bolt for a hand or foothold. It seldom if ever rises above Class II in difficulty.

I say go for it with your original plan. It's a beautiful trail. There's a reason it's so well-traveled.

I think this is a very good summary of what you face. Now if you want a treadway where you don't ever break stride, well the AT in New England does have roots, rocks, abrupt ups and downs which will change your cadence. But it's certainly not bushwacking and it's very well-blazed.

Moreover, I think the New England AT would round out/complement your hiking experience very nicely because it's very scenic & picturesque yet different from the hiking you've done. There are parts of the Western US where you'd hike on smooth trails with little break in stride and with gorgeous views but they'd be more similar to what you've already experienced than the AT in Maine. Sure, Maine isn't easy but the rewards are plentiful - mountaintops with nice flat rock to stretch out on, blueberry bushes, balsam firs & spruces, moose, various sized lakes & ponds from which you'll hear the call of loons, colorful foliage from the birches & maples as you get into Autumn.

Don't miss this opportunity!

garlic08
06-20-2010, 15:40
...I'm probably concerned about sections like the Mahoosuc Notch (it has steel rungs?) and White Mountains (look trackless in the web photos I've seen)....

No steel rungs in the notch, but no real exposure either. If a little boulder hopping isn't your cup of tea, you can take the slow, painful way crawling around the bottoms of the boulders while dragging your pack. I've seen some hikers take up to six painful hours to traverse that one mile, Others hop around on top, accept the higher risk of some exposure (some Class III moves there), have a great time, and take more like 45 minutes.

I remember one very long scree field traverse in the Whites--maybe that's what you're thinking of. It could be nasty, I suppose, in horrible weather or if your legs are weak on scree. It reminded me so much of my (almost) native Colorado, it felt like a homecoming of sorts and I really enjoyed it.

In short, enjoyment on the AT is heavily dependent on state of mind, but certainly also on a level of skill, fitness, and experience.

Scooby99
06-21-2010, 08:32
I would do New England July/Aug and Sept, even at only 10mpd you will get down to Mass., Head into Boston and grab a bus south and do the Shenandoahs and some of Virginia for Oct. At 16mpd you would be able to do Front Royal to about Damascus. Those 2 sections are my favorite parts of the trail.

Tinker
06-21-2010, 08:57
I haven't hiked the southern balds at all, but I've done from Katahdin down to the Delaware Water Gap in sections, and most of that was when I was past my mid-forties. I hiked the Hundred Mile Wilderness in 2008, by myself, with a pack that was around 35 lbs. at the start. Maine is beautiful, with many overlooks. It has fewer contacts with civilization, though there are plenty of roads which cross the trail by which you can reach a town by hitch-hiking where you could take a shower, sleep in a bed at a hostel, and get a good meal. From New Hampshire south the contacts with civilization are more numerous with more and more businesses catering to the needs of hikers. The trails in Maine and New Hampshire tend to be boggy in the lowlands (or in sags on mountain peaks) somewhat damp and rocky in places, and hard packed earth in most. The rocks diminish south of New Hampshire as do the long and difficult climbs. The section between the Long Trail in Vermont is hilly with few views and most hikers consider it something to push through just to get to the next interesting section.
If you are more interested in hiking with easier access to towns, some nice views from ledges while at the same time having shade overhead and good footing, I would suggest starting at Rte. 4 in Vermont where the AT and LT coincide and hiking south through southern Vermont (lush and verdant) into Massachusetts and Connecticut (small typical New England towns between long stretches of the "tree tunnel" for which the AT is well known) and into New York (surprisingly wild feeling though never far from civilization) and New Jersey (where you'll feel the press of the modern world but be able to resupply frequently, keeping your food weight light). If you get tired of the Northeast at or before this point you can skip down to the southern balds.

Tinker
06-21-2010, 09:00
Oh, Btw Earthstarlover - of all the sections I haven't hiked yet, I'm drawn to the Grayson Highlands in Virginia because of the extensive walking with few trees and the tame (though officially wild) ponies which live there.

peakbagger
06-21-2010, 09:42
If you are looking to hike the longest distance in a period of time skip Maine and NH. If you want a great experience, start in Maine and head south. The 100 mile wilderness southbound starts out gradually with less elevation change initially than starting out at springer. Obviously Katahdin is steep and a long day hike, but you wont be carrying a significant pack as its a day hike. Using Whitehouse Landing and possibly getting a resupply at katahdin iron works (if Boarstone still offers that service), you can keep your loads down.

The trail in ME and NH tends to be rockier and on occasion muddier but in no way is it remotely a bushwhack. Anyone that knows how to read a map and keeps reasonable track of various land features along the way, will not have a problem staying on the trail.

The one thing that has been commented on is that hiking throught the white mountains should be completed by mid to late September as the weather can get cold and the weather patterns start shifting. The whites are my backyard and in the majority of the years, there will be at least one incidence of ice or snow on the summits during September. It usually melts off in a few hours but is indicative of the weather. The AMC huts also start closing during this period so options for getting in and out of the cold are a lot less. There still can be great stretches of weather but the potential is there to have a bad stretch.

One thing that isnt mentioned enough is that a majority of the AT is a "green tunnel" on the ridgelines. Granted there are occasional views but compared the ME and NH there are lot more open summits and ledges along the AT in Maine and NH.

Earthstarlover
06-22-2010, 09:48
That does it then. Thanks to all the valuable input here, which I certainly appreciate, I've decided to start at Katahdin and walk south, starting late July. The ridgeline vistas really attract me rather than green tunnels. You may all consider yourselves Trail Angels for dispelling my doubts and sending me on my way, for which I'm deeply grateful. Thank You.

Marta
06-22-2010, 17:39
That does it then. Thanks to all the valuable input here, which I certainly appreciate, I've decided to start at Katahdin and walk south, starting late July. The ridgeline vistas really attract me rather than green tunnels. You may all consider yourselves Trail Angels for dispelling my doubts and sending me on my way, for which I'm deeply grateful. Thank You.

Great choice!

That is just about the optimal weather window for that part of the trail. It should be reasonably cool and pleasant in August, with the nights getting nippy in September, and as you work your way south, you should get nice leaf color and pleasantly cool weather in NY/NJ/PA/MD/WV in October.

The southern half of the trail is easier walking, but the weather will probably be unpleasantly hot in August and even September.