PDA

View Full Version : Father's Day

K2
06-19-2010, 18:36
Well, someone should start a Father's Day thread, and why not me?

This is in loving memory of my Father 2/10/31-11/12/06. He lived two years after Mother and died the day after what would have been their 56th wedding anniversary.

Anyway, here's a song I often think of in relation to him, because he'd sing it in the worst way possible; on purpose, I might add.:sun

Cool Clear Water, by Marty Robbins

All day I've faced a barren waste
Without the taste of water, cool water
Old Dan and I with throats burned dry
And souls that cry for water
Cool, clear, water

Keep a-movin, Dan, dontcha listen to him, Dan
He's a devil, not a man
He spreads the burning sand with water
Dan, can ya see that big, green tree?
Where the water's runnin' free
And it's waitin' there for me and you?

The nights are cool and I'm a fool
Each star's a pool of water
Cool water
But with the dawn I'll wake and yawn
And carry on to water
Water, water, water

Keep a-movin, Dan, dontcha listen to him, Dan
He's a devil, not a man
He spreads the burning sand with water
Dan, can ya see that big, green tree?
Where the water's runnin' free
And it's waitin' there for me and you?

Cool, clear, water
Cool, clear, water

Point Man Chef
06-19-2010, 20:17
Thanks K2,
I'm sitting here wishing my Dad could have seen my soon to be, July 4TH, three year old daughter. (BTW I know she is going to look good in a back pack by her very nature right now!) I wish he could have known my wife. Just wishing a lot tonight... Thanks for the thread...

Blissful
06-19-2010, 21:39
Happy Father's Day to my dad who hiked several trails in the Catskills of NY with me and fueled my AT love. Thanks, Dad.

TIDE-HSV
06-19-2010, 23:58
My Dad's been gone a long time - February, 1958. However, he was the one who introduced me to the outdoors, and I'll always be grateful...

JAK
06-20-2010, 06:26
Happy Father's Day everyone.

grayfox
06-20-2010, 07:07
So, there we were, my Dad, my sister, and me canoe camping along the Black River in the early '60s, sleeping in our new Thermos Pop Tent. The tent was a serious equipment upgrade to a zippered screen door from tie together flaps and no floor. My dad shook me awake from a deep sleep. "Wake up. Wake up. There is a big bug in here, it just ran across my face."

We switched on our flashlights and searched the edge of the floor for the 'bug'. Finding nothing, we turned toward each other and as the beams of our flashlights crossed, they illuminated a small field mouse sitting up on my still sleeping sister's hip. Dad unzipped the door and the mouse fled to the safety of the overturned canoe where, we learned in the morning, he relieved us of the burden of our shoelaces.

Good times, good memories. Thanks Dad.

Pringles
06-20-2010, 18:15
Thanks for starting this thread, K2. I woke up this morning and thought "Happy Father's Day," but that's not the same as saying it to him. My dad sang a lot of songs badly... on purpose, too. Pringles

chiefduffy
06-21-2010, 15:16
My father was a woodsman, a conservationist, a hunter, and a fisherman. My earliest memories are of literally walking in his footsteps in the woods. The man could walk all day and never make a sound. I miss him.
Thanks for starting the thread.

- Duffy

K2
06-21-2010, 17:36
You all are welcome. Thank you for sharing your stories.