PDA

View Full Version : Windproof/waterproof shell...need suggestions as to .....

nawlunz
06-20-2010, 07:55
a good ultralite or light shell, moderate price......will be used for three season backpacking.... I was looking at the Mountain Hardwear line and also Arc'terx....Any help would be appreciated.

Weight is a priority...., but this will be my only rain gear for me on a solo trip....

Big Dawg
06-20-2010, 08:53
I use froggtoggs (http://www.froggtoggs.com/#outerwear/), as many others do on this site. Good stuff! I use the Classic Pro Action, although their product line has updated since I bought mine, and they suggest different lighter weight styles for backpacking. My 2XL suit weighs 1# 4oz.

Rocket Jones
06-20-2010, 09:51
I picked up a nice rain jacket from REI for a super price on clearance. Not terribly light - about the same as the Froggtoggs - but it has all the bells and whistles like pit zips.

Wags
06-20-2010, 10:20
no rain jackets work particularly amazing. they all have failures, so i'd avoid spending a lot of money on one whatever route you take. i wear one from golite, the virga maybe. before that it was marmot's precip, before that a cheapo from land's end

Dogwood
06-20-2010, 11:08
Before you go further, or get a barrage of possibly confusing recommendations/debates, read Mark Verber's gear reviews and recommendations on rain/wind shells. It will bring you up to speed, give you lots of options, and address your concerns. It will make it easier to achieve the right balance in a rain/wind shell for all the goals you have in mind.

www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear

Look under Clothing and Footwear for the Outdoors

nawlunz
06-20-2010, 11:57
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Spot In The Sky
06-20-2010, 12:43
i <3 MH Terra.

Rick500
06-20-2010, 12:47
I have Marmot Precip jacket and pants.

But so far I haven't hiked in a cold rain, and I've determined that if it's not cold I'd rather just get wet, because if I wear my rain gear I'm going to sweat, even if I open all the vents.

GeneralLee10
06-20-2010, 18:03
My opinion is ALL rain gear does not work when hiking. You sweat and then your raingear gets all your body oils in it. = no good just except the fact your going to get wet. The only thing it is good for when it's cold rain then it will help keep you warm.

Texico
06-21-2010, 00:06
If you are looking at Arc'teryx then you are out of the "moderate" price range haha. I'll say this: the only time that I put my rain jacket on is when it's raining AND it's cold. If it's hot and raining then I'm just going to let myself get wet (it feels better that way anyway). That being said, I really want a Marmot Super Mica rain jacket. I use an REI Ultralight for now though. I can't afford to get something new and the ultralight is super durable (but heavy at 14-15oz).

Also, if you want to wash clothes on a thru then use some kind of sport wash or "tech" wash because it won't contain any fabric softener (which absorbs water as opposed to repelling it). You can do that for any rain jacket to clean the oils/dirt off of it.

longhiker
06-21-2010, 15:31
I've been investigating almost this same exact question for my thru-hike of the Colorado trail later this year.

The options I have so far are:

1. DriDucks jacket (6 oz, $20 including pants) + 3 oz windshell for $35 (by Mountain Hardwear and others)

2. A single windproof and rainproof jacket -- Marmot Mica or Marmot Essence or the North Face Triumph Anorak. Cost ~ $100 or less for the Mica on sale, Weight - 5 - 7 oz.

I already own a DriDucks but might go with option 2 since I'm not sure I'll take care of the DriDucks over 30 days in Colorado..

Wise Old Owl
06-21-2010, 15:38
My opinion is ALL rain gear does not work when hiking. You sweat and then your raingear gets all your body oils in it. = no good just except the fact your going to get wet. The only thing it is good for when it's cold rain then it will help keep you warm.

So if you are on a long hike, dunk the whole thing in a clean stream and shake it out on a sunny day and throw it out on top of the pack to really dry out. Keep on hiking.:D