PDA

View Full Version : Citico Snakes -- Viperous Numerous

babbage
06-20-2010, 20:00
Of the places that I have hiked it seems that Citico has more Rattlers and Copperheads than usual. Why would it be this way? Are some areas more conducive to certain snakes? This past weekend I was sure to see a Rattler and was watchfully attentive. My dog was ahead of me on the trail and passed by a trailside rattler without any warning from the snake. When I got right beside the snake it started to rattle and raised into a strike pose. It scared the absolute crap out me. Usually there is a couple of footsteps notice from the snake, but not this one. Maybe he just wanted to see me high step down the trail.
I am starting to think that Citico, Bald River, and Slickrock are just covered up with Rattlers and Copperheads. I also see a lot of black snakes and Garter snakes, but the viper-kings are more of a concern.
I might have to get some of those sweaty, hot snake chaps for this time of year.
Any one know why there seems to be more vipers here?

Graywolf
06-20-2010, 21:05
Of the places that I have hiked it seems that Citico has more Rattlers and Copperheads than usual. Why would it be this way? Are some areas more conducive to certain snakes? This past weekend I was sure to see a Rattler and was watchfully attentive. My dog was ahead of me on the trail and passed by a trailside rattler without any warning from the snake. When I got right beside the snake it started to rattle and raised into a strike pose. It scared the absolute crap out me. Usually there is a couple of footsteps notice from the snake, but not this one. Maybe he just wanted to see me high step down the trail.
I am starting to think that Citico, Bald River, and Slickrock are just covered up with Rattlers and Copperheads. I also see a lot of black snakes and Garter snakes, but the viper-kings are more of a concern.
I might have to get some of those sweaty, hot snake chaps for this time of year.

Im not sure why, but if I go there Im taking a snake hook and camera.. Thats cool...Next time take a pic..

Tipi Walter
06-20-2010, 23:04

I agree totally and can only suggest that eager backpackers avoid the Bald River area and the Citico/Slickrock completely.

babbage
06-21-2010, 17:20
You are a wise and intuitive man, Mr. Walter.

moytoy
06-21-2010, 19:58
I agree totally and can only suggest that eager backpackers avoid the Bald River area and the Citico/Slickrock completely.

Reminds me of Brer Rabbit.:D