PDA

View Full Version : High Sierras in July...will I be warm enough....

nawlunz
06-20-2010, 21:56
Hiking the High Sierra Trail end of July...going solo...trying to keep weight down in pack. I know the weather should be mild, but it is the high mountains and need to be prepared. I will have mid-weight merino wool base, patagonia fleece, and arc'terx shell and rain pants. Given the expected temps, maybe in the thirties at night (rare a drop to upper 20s), will this "minimalist" layering do the trick?

Any help would be appreciated.

frisbeefreek
06-20-2010, 22:16
I went through in June '09 with a similar setup and had no problems. I got caught in a whiteout on Muir Pass (32F + wind + lots of soggy snow) plus several nights around 28F (you can really avoid cold nights by smartly choosing where you camp).

My gear was:

very lightweight longsleeve
Montbell UL Down Jacket
Driduck Rain Jacket
Fleece tights
Lightweight rainpants
Hat + Gloves + Mitten shells

--Frisbee

nawlunz
06-20-2010, 22:22
my fleece, but that is very helpful!

fiddlehead
06-21-2010, 00:32
I believe they are having record snow year out there.
You will probably hit lots of it.
I'd be prepared to be wet from postholing. (always have a dry set of long underwear to change into and socks each night)
And possibly have a night or two where you have to sleep on the snow.

If you don't mind being damp and have no problems sleeping cold, disregard this post.

sbhikes
06-21-2010, 10:18
I hiked through the Sierras on my pct hike in 2008 in late June. Probably by end of July you should not have more snow than I did then, and probably less. You won't posthole much if at all. It'll be sunny and warm during the day so you'll easily be able to dry your self off if you get wet crossing streams or whatever. You won't have to camp on snow.

If you avoid camping near streams, lakes and meadows you will stay a LOT warmer. You'll have less mosquitoes too. The rangers try to tell people this but they don't listen.

I found that it was only at night while sleeping or sitting around that I was ever cold enough to wear any layers.

Ender
06-21-2010, 10:20
FYI, I hit 16* temps one night in July in the High Sierras.