PDA

View Full Version : REI Minimalist

Shutterbug
06-21-2010, 00:07
I have used the REI Minimalist bivy, but so far, I have not used it in the rain. I am planning to use it when I hike the Wonderland Trail in a few weeks.

I have two issues:
1) The best way to keep my head and face dry. I know that I can carry a tarp too, but that adds weight. If you use a Minimalist, how do you deal with this issue?

2) The bug screen touches my face. I find myself holding it off my face with my hand. If you have found a better way, please share.

Dogwood
06-21-2010, 00:22
I used the Minimalist a couple of yrs ago on a winter hike in Zion NP. It sleeted and rained on me one night. I kept getting awakened by the spritz on my face. Never could figure out a way to keep the rain off me that night.

Does the Minimalist have a tie out loop over the head canopy that can be tied to an overhanging tree branch with a length of light wt cord to keep the bug net off your face and perhaps provide a bit more protection from the rain? The other possible option might be to bend a short piece of light wt wire inside the bivy to keep the hood up off your face, provide for better exhaling, and perhaps a bit more rain protection.

Personally, I had problems with the breathabiity of the WP material that REI uses in the Minimalist.

Shutterbug
06-21-2010, 00:28
I usually carry a hammock. The problem with a hammock is that some of the camp sites on the Wonderland don't have trees for a hammock.

Dogwood
06-21-2010, 00:39
Do you use trekking poles. perhaps you could rig up something with them and a piece of cord.

I also saw at, I think, the Hennessey website a way to rig up a hammock on the ground by using your trekking poles to hold the ends of the hammock up. I have never done it as I rarely hike w/trekking poles, bit it's another possible option.

Feral Bill
06-21-2010, 01:32
I don't recall any campsites on the Wonderland Trail that a person could not use a hammock. Maybe I remember wrong, though.

bigcranky
06-21-2010, 07:37
You can wear a ball cap, which will keep the mesh off your face.

Other than a small tarp, there is no good way to keep the rain off.

Tinker
06-21-2010, 09:36
Well, you could drape your rain jacket over your face to keep the rain off, but that won't solve the main reason that most folks use a tarp anyway - you won't be able to get into the bivy in the rain without getting the inside very damp (wet). Then you'll have a miserable, soggy night's sleep (?). Something like a Gatewood Cape or Oasis would be a good complement to any bivy (but then it wouldn't have to be waterproof except on the bottom, therefore more breathable and drier).
Personally, I would carry the hammock setup for all the places where it is feasable to use it with trees and set it up between my trekking poles where it isn't. This would mean you'd have to carry a small plastic groundcloth to keep the "floor" of your hammock "tent" dry and clean, and a few extra stakes.

sbhikes
06-21-2010, 10:11
If you have a rain poncho you can use it for a tarp while you sleep and for rain while you hike.

Shutterbug
06-21-2010, 11:01
I don't recall any campsites on the Wonderland Trail that a person could not use a hammock. Maybe I remember wrong, though.

All of the camps on the east side of Mt. Rainier have sufficient trees for hammocks, but three sites on the north and east sides don't.

On the north side, the only camp we could reserve was the Mowich Lake Camp. The legal camping sites are out in the open -- no trees. It would be possible to stealth camp with a hammock, but that area is watched closely by rangers.

On the east side, Summerland and Indian Bar have some tent sites where a hammock will work, but most of the tent sites don't have trees. Indian Bar only has one site where a hammock will work.

Wise Old Owl
06-21-2010, 11:23
I have used the REI Minimalist and returned it, one idea is to take a 15 inch carbon fiber rod that has electrical tape on each end and bend it around the sholders and that will float the mesh away from the head. The rod is weightless and scavanged from an old tent.

Feral Bill
06-21-2010, 12:33
All of the camps on the east side of Mt. Rainier have sufficient trees for hammocks, but three sites on the north and east sides don't.

On the north side, the only camp we could reserve was the Mowich Lake Camp. The legal camping sites are out in the open -- no trees. It would be possible to stealth camp with a hammock, but that area is watched closely by rangers.

On the east side, Summerland and Indian Bar have some tent sites where a hammock will work, but most of the tent sites don't have trees. Indian Bar only has one site where a hammock will work.

I forgot Mowich Lake. (not a pleasent spot anyway) What are the others?