PDA

View Full Version : Rei branded gear.

Highwind
06-21-2010, 11:52
is it good stuff?

Feral Bill
06-21-2010, 12:22
Mostly yes, and a good value. Beware a lack of tall sizes and of specialty items, like tarp tents.

Phreak
06-21-2010, 12:23
Its hit or miss depending on the item. I worked there for a few years and wasn't impressed with the gear I did try out.

kanga
06-21-2010, 12:25
i bought rei back in 1996. that was the last time. out of around 6 things that i bought (all clothes), only one thing held up. a pair of shorts. i still have them. with that kind of percentage, i won't be buying anymore of their stuff. hopefully they have gotten better in the last 14 years, but i'm not betting my money on it.

trailangelbronco
06-21-2010, 12:56
I buy stuff at REI. I also buy other stuff that REI doesn't sell. What I like about REI is that if you are a member, you get a lifetime warranty. Return stuff when it wears out or breaks. I wish that they carried ULA products, though.

garlic08
06-21-2010, 13:10
It's been OK gear in my experience, but I don't own any of it right now. They're still mostly mainstream and I've moved to the ultralight fringe. As said above, they don't really cater to the light-packing thru hiker. Look at their advertising--yuppie couples and families. That's fine--it's where the money is. REI stands for two things: 1) "Really Expensive Inside", and 2) "Return Every Item", which is the only reason I ever go there.

grayfox
06-21-2010, 13:11
One of the best things about rei is that they still have a no questions return policy for everyhing they sell. That is probably one reason that you will not find cutting edge gear on their shelves though.

Their house brand gear tends to be on the durable and heavy side but is a very good value for beginning backpackers and campers. Wait for sales and take advantage of member benefits and the deals are even sweeter.

I realized as I was thinking of how to answer you that I have been a co-op member many more years than you have been alive--a sobering thought for sure. REI is one of the brands that still exists while many others are long ago out of business. That tells me that there is good value to be found in their products for many people.

You will probably find that as you gain some experience, you will be willing to spend more money on gear that is lighter but more fragile because you have learned how to take care of it. Until then, REI gear will be a good choice and good value.

STICK
06-21-2010, 13:12
I have the REI Lite Core 1.5 and I like it. It has held up well, and I like it better than my Thermarest Prolite 4 (even though they are essentially the same pad). It is well made and came with features the Prolite didn't, like a stuff sack, repair kit, and even silicone circles on the pad to help hold the bag in place, all for just a few bucks cheaper than the Prolite. Plus I have the lifetime warranty.

I have also recently purchased the REI Kingdom 4 tent. It appears to be well constructed and overall a good quality tent. I have only used it 2 nights so far, and plan on using it 2 more nights for the weekend of the 4th.

I have been happy with the REI gear so far. I have bought a lot of other name brand stuff from REI as well, and of course you cannot hold REI accountable for those items. My problem with that though is that sometimes REI list specs that are not in line with the actual manufacturers listings. I recently bought a sleeping bag that REI was listing at 31 oz, and on the manufacturers site it was listed at 34 oz. When I confronted REI about this they said that the specs are an average weight. So I would check around and not rely on REI's specs. (The bag is still listed wrong on the site.)

Kerosene
06-21-2010, 14:19
I concur that they have some good stuff, although rarely ultralight, and some so-so stuff. I've been very satisfied with my daughter's REI UL Flash pack and I tend to fill in my food and clothing list with REI items. I've been less impressed with some of their clothing. I purchased a NeoAir from them primarily for their return policy. I've been a member since 1974, although I rarely purchase more than $100 a year from them anymore.

Wise Old Owl
06-21-2010, 15:17
Oh I dunno - I have quite a bit of REI branded stuff and I am quite happy.

sevensixtwo187
06-21-2010, 15:42
We have just a few REI items but have been quite happy with them. One in particular is my 12 year old son's youth backpack. You guys can laugh, but I am VERY pleased with it and I feel it is a superb piece of equipment and a great value .... my 2 cents. :D

Highwind
06-21-2010, 17:44
I realized as I was thinking of how to answer you that I have been a co-op member many more years than you have been alive--a sobering thought for sure.

Im one of those young people that listen to older people and their experiences :D

Sierra Echo
06-21-2010, 17:54
Here is something I find odd.
When I was in the market for a good daypack, I looked at what they had in the store and online. Most of their torso straps aren't adjustable.
I would never get a pack that you couldn't adjust. Granted thats the only product of theirs I looked at so maybe other things are more adjustable.

wcgornto
06-21-2010, 18:06
REI Sahara pants are excellent.

I also have and like the REI Half Dome tent. It isn't best for very light weight pursuits. Otherwise, it is quite good.

Feral Bill
06-21-2010, 19:48
Im one of those young people that listen to older people and their experiences :D

Probably the last one.

Tinker
06-21-2010, 22:24
REI markets generally well-made, servicable merchandise with a nod to fashion in most of their clothing and a preference to durability over light weight in their packs, sleeping bags, and tents. They aren't cutting edge, but they offer a satisfaction guarantee policy which can't be beat. That is likely the reason that they aren't cutting edge. Marketing to a broad audience means having to be "safe" with designs.
Like any gear you buy, you should try it before you buy it, but if there are no stores close to you, order the item and try it in your backyard. Keep it clean, and if it doesn't meet your expectations send it back.

Many Walks
06-21-2010, 22:39

I also have and like the REI Half Dome tent. It isn't best for very light weight pursuits. Otherwise, it is quite good.
Ditto on both.

Highwind
06-21-2010, 23:01
If I was to go the Ultralight path, any suggestions?

Tinker
06-21-2010, 23:13
Ultralight
Packs - Zpack, Mountain Laurel Designs, ULA, Gossamer Gear
Tents - Six Moon Designs, Tarptent, Lightheart Gear
Sleeping bags - Western Mountaineering, Nunatak, Montbell, Feathered Friends
Hammocks - Warbonnet, Hennessy, lots more.

Tinker
06-21-2010, 23:14
Here's a good general source with a forum of its own:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html

wcgornto
06-21-2010, 23:38
Ultralight

Packs - Also Six Moon Designs

Sleeping Bags - Also Marmot

Bucherm
06-22-2010, 03:08
Probably the last one.

Depends if yer in the military or not. If my Divo(a crusty CWO3 who was so salty he had barnacles growing on him) gave me advice, I tended to take it.

Uncle Cranky
06-22-2010, 05:21
REI's return policy is unbelievable!
I picked up an REI 3/4 light core sleeping pad a few years ago to replace a 3/4 "Thurmaripoff" (patch kit and stuff sack extra for an all ready expensive item).
The REI pad CAME with the stuff sack AND a patch kit for a third LESS $s than just a "Thurmaripoff" pad without all the extras!!!
The REI set up was also a 1/2" thicker for only 2 extra oz.....Sold!
Being a Scout leader I camp at least 9-10 weekends/year.
Eventually the REI pad developed a chronic valve problem so I went to the local store to return it.
The REI floor monkey asked me how long I owned the item.
I thought it was about 4-5 years old but their computer tracked the purchase at 12 years.
I thought I was sunk but the guy went over and gave me a new 3/4 light core right off the self...no charge...and thanked me to boot!
When I got the new pad home I discovered that the new pad had improved in its original design over the intervening 12 years.
Not only did I get a FREE replacement hassle free but a BETTER THAN the original replacement.
I know another Scout leader who brought a 25 year old MSR Wisperlight stove to the local REI willing to pay for repairs.
He walked out with a NEW off the shelf replacement with no hassle.
REI's high prices are actually prepaid insurance.

mister pooh
06-22-2010, 10:53
I've been a member for years and have bought a number of their store brand items. The key is to remember to wait for one of their big sales or for items to hit clearance. Love the Sahara pants, really like the Flash 65 pack I just picked up- a bit heavy, but rides great. Didn't like their boots and am still on the fence about their socks.

I also use REI for my "test" gear knowing I can return it with no problems. Since I wasn't sure if hammocking would be my thing, I picked up a Hennessey for $99 on sale. Now that the bug has bit me, I'm now buying all my specialized hammock gear from the cottage guys- the Jacks, Arrowhead Equipment, Warbonnet etc. The Sea to Summit Thermolite bag liner I bought the same time as the hammock however wasn't quite what I was looking for, so it was great to return it and pick up a really nice Deuter pack for my wife (that was on clearance) for the same money.

RGB
06-22-2010, 11:00
I use the sleeping bag liner I got from them at home.

skinewmexico
06-22-2010, 11:03

Tinker hit all the high points. I've had unbelievable service from Tarptent and ULA. I've had the owners of both get my phone number off an order form and call me at home when I emailed a question. Gossamer Gear was just as good. Once you get used to the service and performance of a cottage manufacturer, it's hard to go back to big brand Asian gear.

REI made incredible gear back when I joined in 1973. They have a great return policy, although I kind of feel like just because you can take something you wore out back, that doesn't mean you should. They still make solid gear, I use a Quarterdome T3 as my big heavy tent. Too bad REI has become the slick cookbook for the two yacht family.

trailangelbronco
06-22-2010, 11:43
I remember back when LL Bean was still an outdoor store, and I lived 20 minutes away from Freeport Maine. Then, they got trendy. Now, they sell bedding.

Feral Bill
06-22-2010, 12:16
Depends if yer in the military or not. If my Divo(a crusty CWO3 who was so salty he had barnacles growing on him) gave me advice, I tended to take it.

Exception noted, and thanks to BMC Bless for help many years ago.

Liv2Ride
06-22-2010, 12:34
I like some of the stuff with the actual REI brand on it. What immediately comes to mind for me are the zip off leg type of convertible pants. Since the only time I wear convertible pants is when I'm hiking/backpacking I could care less about the brand name. My thing is fit, function, durability and price. Their pants meet my needs for most seasons here in the Southeast. I have a couple more items with their name brand on it also but not that many since I try to keep my gear light. Not ultralight, but light.

Naturally I by from so many other sources also but I will not hesitate to by a product from REI if it's an item that I want and they carry it. Like most everyone has said already their return policy is enough to keep me as a lifetime customer. Like another post said, the higher price is sort of like an insurance policy.

Undershaft
06-22-2010, 14:38
I remember back when LL Bean was still an outdoor store, and I lived 20 minutes away from Freeport Maine. Then, they got trendy. Now, they sell bedding.

I feel the same way. I usually don't even bother looking through the catalogs they send me anymore. To be fair, I have a 20 degree synthetic bag and a two person tent from LL Bean, both of which have given me exceptional service. I've had the bag for 10 years and slept in it scores of times and it's just as good as the day I bought it. The tent has also held up very well after 9 years of good use.

As for REI, the best boots I ever owned carried the REI name. They were rebranded Merrils (Monach III's I believe) and they only gave me one blister in six years and about 600 miles....Not Too Shabby. I can't say anything else about their branded gear because I don't own any of it. It sure looks good though.

joehiker22
06-22-2010, 14:56
Have you been to the freeport store recently?
it has an extremely large selection of backpacking gear. (as well as hunting/fishing/kayaking/etc/etc/etc)

Highwind
06-22-2010, 16:53
Ultralight

Here's a good general source with a forum of its own:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html

thanks! :D

rusty075
06-23-2010, 03:55

Just for giggles, (and because I'm bored tonight, apparently), I did an experiment to see how light a kit I could build with just REI-available items. That is, stuff available at REI, not necessarily REI brand stuff.

Pack: Vapor Trail (http://www.rei.com/product/699831) 37oz
Tent: Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 (http://www.rei.com/product/779612) 30oz
Bag: Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 (http://www.rei.com/product/795978) 23oz
Pad: NeoAir Medium (http://www.rei.com/product/781094) 13oz

That's a total of 103oz, or 6lbs 7oz, with a total cost of $898.90. To me at least, that's surprisingly good. You could certainly get lighter, and maybe cheaper, by shopping around, but for a one-stop shopping trip with a lifetime warranty on everything, I think that's pretty good.

opqdan
06-23-2010, 18:20

I also have and like the REI Half Dome tent. It isn't best for very light weight pursuits. Otherwise, it is quite good.I wanted to voice my agreement on the pants.

In addition, somebody earlier mentioned the lack of tall sizes. I'm 6'7" tall, and I've found most all REI stuff can fit me just fine. One of the things that turned me onto their clothes was that I can get 36" inseam Sahara pants off the rack at the REI down the street.

Highwind
06-23-2010, 23:40
Ive been researching REI (ive never bought from them and no stores in florida i believe)

-20% couples every so often (even on new products)
-sometimes they have 20% sales in Rei-Outlet?
-10% of your purchases go to a Dividend?
-free shipping over $75
-awesome return service?

for $20

can someone tell me if this is true?

Hoop Time
06-23-2010, 23:58
anybody have any experience with their store brand trekking poles?

wcgornto
06-24-2010, 00:18
anybody have any experience with their store brand trekking poles?

I don't, but I believe they are another brand (Komperdell?) relabeled.

Jester2000
06-24-2010, 01:45
The REI floor monkey asked me how long I owned the item.
I thought it was about 4-5 years old but their computer tracked the purchase at 12 years.
I thought I was sunk but the guy went over and gave me a new 3/4 light core right off the self...no charge...and thanked me to boot!

Floor monkey?!? What do you call people who don't give you good service?

REI gear is just fine.

Feral Bill
06-24-2010, 01:47
I don't, but I believe they are another brand (Komperdell?) relabeled.
Their single pole, which I have, is Komperdell. Works well when I use a pole.

Feral Bill
06-24-2010, 01:50
[QUOTE=Highwind;1026223]Ive been researching REI (ive never bought from them and no stores in florida i believe)

-20% couples every so often (even on new products)
-sometimes they have 20% sales in Rei-Outlet?
-10% of your purchases go to a Dividend?
-free shipping over $75
-awesome return service?

for $20

can someone tell me if this is true?[/QUOTE

I'm not sure on the shipping, otherwise all true. Free shipping to your local store ( if you have one) regardless of amount.

Jester2000
06-24-2010, 01:53
I'm not sure on the shipping, otherwise all true. Free shipping to your local store ( if you have one) regardless of amount.

He doesn't have a local store, though. Nearest one to him will be in Atlanta. Online shipping is free for purchases above $75 if you are a member.

GalHikingTheGap
06-24-2010, 07:20
I buy stuff at REI. I also buy other stuff that REI doesn't sell. What I like about REI is that if you are a member, you get a lifetime warranty. Return stuff when it wears out or breaks.

THIS. I am on my third pair of Keens from an initial purchase of $65, and you don't need to keep the reciept because everything you buy is on your history and associated with your phone number/member ID.

L/Baby D

Wise Old Owl
06-27-2010, 12:38
Probably the last one.:D:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_crYF31kaA (Laughing Owl)

WalksInDark
07-17-2010, 21:44
I too have been buying from REI since before you were born.

Not being a gram weenie I can't speak to their supply of ultra-light equipment.

However, I have bought thousands of dollars of camping, backpacking, sailing, and boating equipment from them and except for two returns (one item was too small, the other item was plain out defective), they have provided me good service and value.

Having said that, if you don't use REI's generally well informed staff to assist you....you can make the same bad purchase decisions as you can at one of the big box stores.

khumbukat
07-18-2010, 23:57
REI has members only sales on occasion. Today I was at REI for maps, and a members only sale was ending as it was near closing. No deals left, I thought as I inspected a 750 down fill Halo 40, priced at $125. The bag appeared unused, and as I was about to set it down, the manager announced all remaining sale items at 75% off lowest marked price.

Gotta love that. Thanks REI.