PDA

View Full Version : What are the best day hikes on the AT?

Heavy G
06-21-2010, 15:08
I have a book that outlines the best day hikes on the AT by state. They rated the top 5 overall. They are, in no particular order:
1. Maine's Katahdin
2. PA's Chimney Rocks
3. VA's McAfee Knob
4. Tenn's Laurel Fork Gorge and Falls
5. GA's Blood Mountain

I was wondering what are some of your favorite day hikes. If it is not too much trouble to ask, I may follow up with a request for details. I am a day hiker and love a great view or waterfall. Right now, two favorites of mine are PA's Table Top Rock and NJ's Mt. Tammany.

peakbagger
06-21-2010, 15:27
In NH, Lafayette via Old Bridal Path to Haystack along the AT and then down Falling Waters back to where you started. This loop has it all, extended above treeline on top of a ridge line, waterfalls in the afternoon to play in coming down, a stop by an AMC hut (for those who havent visited one before) and great views of the ridge when hiking up Old Bridal Path. Sure it get crowded on a nice day but is nothing compared to any of the Mt Washington routes.

kizzybean
06-21-2010, 15:45
Besides katahdin in Maine Gulf Haagas is a great day hike. Not all along the AT but you travel the AT to the gorge and back. It's not a hard hike but you get some great waterfall views and a nice loop hike. If you're visiting the area the drive in can give you a great opportunity to see a moose meandering on the road. If you're in the area hike Gulf haagas one day then drive up to Millinocket and climb Mt Katahdin the next day. Two great hikes for a couple of days of your time.

Hooch
06-21-2010, 16:21
In MD, a great day hike is Gathland State Park SOBO to Harpers Ferry. About 10 miles, with the last 3 being totally flat on the C&O Canal Towpath into town. Afterward, have a meal at the Secret Six. :D Cold Potomac Ale......mmmm!

Yahtzee
06-21-2010, 16:50
Carver's Gap northbound.
Upper Goose Pond to Dalton.
Up Killington to Inn at the Long Trail
Springer to Gooch Gap

Mags
06-21-2010, 17:01
In NH, Lafayette via Old Bridal Path to Haystack along the AT and then down Falling Waters back to where you started. This loop has it all, extended above treeline on top of a ridge line, waterfalls in the afternoon to play in coming down, a stop by an AMC hut (for those who havent visited one before) and great views of the ridge when hiking up Old Bridal Path. Sure it get crowded on a nice day but is nothing compared to any of the Mt Washington routes.

That's the one that immed came to mind as well. My first ever climb of a mountain as well so it has a strong nostalgia value for me. :)

It is a steep hike (nearly 4000' gain!) ..but oh-so-nice:
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~doc/hiking/franconiaridge/ (http://www.dartmouth.edu/%7Edoc/hiking/franconiaridge/)

Cookerhiker
06-21-2010, 17:02
In Shenandoah National Park's North District, the Jeremy's Run/Neighbor Mountain circuit is a beauty, especially in Spring. Start at Elk Wallow Picnic Ground, hike down the Jeremy's Run Trail. In 1 mile you reach the bottom of the mountain and for the next 4.8 miles, you cross the Run about a dozen times. At Mile 5.8, turn left on Neighbor Mountain Trail and ascend back to the ridge where you pick up the AT at Mile 10.4. Turn left on the AT and hike back to Elk Wallow for a circuit total of 14.3 miles.

In SNP's Central District, you can craft some good day hikes in the White Oak Canyon area.

If you have time to spend a week or so in SNP base-camping and dayhiking, it's worthwhile to acquire PATC's Guidebook (http://www.patc.us/store/PC100.htm) to circuit hikes in the Park.

mudhead
06-21-2010, 18:43

I did this loop in the opposite direction. I did spend a bunch of time turning around to look back up at Lafayette.

nitegaunt
06-21-2010, 19:33
I agree with the book about Laurel Fork Gorge. It's about three miles from where I live and it's a beautiful hike. There are also some other great day hikes around here in East TN and SW VA. Grayson Highlands has a well deserved reputation and Roan Mountain area is nice, as well. I haven't ventured too far out of this area yet, though.

Toolshed
06-21-2010, 20:44
One of my favorite dayhikes is in NJ. From the Parking lot at Blue Mountain Lakes Road (AKA Flatbrookville Rd) (by the water pump) N on the AT to Crater lake, along some of the old driveways and paths, down into the valley and a stop for lunch on top of Rattlesnake Mountain.
The hiking is gentle and offers a nice diversity for kids.

My second favorite is from Little Gap, South on the AT to the Winter (Blue) Route junction just above Lehigh Gap and return. It is a shorter hike, but offers many views and incredible scenery.

Bucherm
06-22-2010, 05:46
If you hike through SNP you get a lot of chances to make a blue-blazed "loop" to interesting sights, like Camp Hoover(of course, I'm a history geek so that may not mean as much to you ;) ). So...I like hiking the AT in SNP.

Marta
06-22-2010, 06:46
In the Smokies, Newfound Gap to Charlie's Bunion.

Around Max Patch.

From Hot Springs up the cliff and back.

bigcranky
06-22-2010, 07:19
VA: The ascent of Mt Rogers via Wilburn Ridge from Grayson Highlands State Park.

TN: Grassy Ridge Bald from Carver Gap.

fredmugs
06-22-2010, 08:52
1. Troutville to Catawba in the fall. McAfee Knob and Tinker Cliffs are spectacular when the colors are in full blaze.

2. Standing Indian Loop.

3. NOC to Fontana Dam. I know it's almost 29 miles but it's an easy 29 miles.

4. I did Hot Springs to Deep Gap (26.2m) but any section that rolls over Max Patch will do.

5. Pretty much any stretch in VA south of the James River.

Spokes
06-22-2010, 10:55
I thought the opening thread asked what the best day to hike the AT was and guessed Wednesday for some strange reason..........

http://mrg.bz/fc5CmL

Hobbler
06-22-2010, 11:01
The OP wanted info on the best day hikes on the A/T. If doing the A/T and just the A/T that would mean that most hikes would be of an out and back nature, or a 2 car or shuttle affair. For those who prefer to see things once on a given hike, the loop should be in mind. Utilizing the A/T and it's trail heads and some blue-blazing would offer the hiker the best of both worlds. The A/T and return Loop.

Let me post a quieter and less crowded suggestion. The Mount Pleasant National Scenic Area in Virginia. At the trail head just off the A/T at Hog Camp Gap, one can access 2, 6+ mile loops. I have done both of these loops and can say that each has its own beauty and offers much to the hiker. Numerous water sources, great views and grassy bald sag, shelter and awesome campsites. I have pictures posted in WB under “Va + WVa. Views”, and have detailed posts in my “Other Journals” on Trail Journals if interested. HYOH

www.trailjournals.com/hobbler (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=9004)

scope
08-02-2010, 15:32
5. GA's Blood Mountain

I...love a great view or waterfall.

My fav in Ga is Big Cedar. 1m AT nobo of Woody Gap with large open viewing area where you can peer down, as well as out - gives the view some depth.

In southern NC, both Wayah Bald and Siler Bald are awesome, and a great extended dayhike is to drive to Wayah and hike south, mostly down, but over Siler, to Winding Stair Gap.

SMSP
08-02-2010, 15:40
Since I have only done the AT from Newfound Gap to Charlie's Bunion, then that's been the best for me so far.

SMSP

johnnybgood
08-03-2010, 16:17
Mau-Har / AT circuit hike can be done as a day hike but you probably will want to stop and enjoy the vistas on this hike making this an ideal overnighter.

www.midatlantichikes.com/at-mauhar.htm (http://www.midatlantichikes.com/at-mauhar.htm)

ShoelessWanderer
09-17-2010, 13:46
In MD, a great day hike is Gathland State Park SOBO to Harpers Ferry. About 10 miles, with the last 3 being totally flat on the C&O Canal Towpath into town. Afterward, have a meal at the Secret Six. :D Cold Potomac Ale......mmmm!

Oooh, going to second that one. Just did the Maryland section, and it was awesome!