PDA

View Full Version : Lodging in Killington?

Cosmo
06-21-2010, 15:28
Any experiences with lodging near the AT crossing of Rt 4 in VT? There's the Inn at the Long Trail, and a couple of others mentioned in the guide. Any thoughts?

I'm aware of a recommended hostel in Rutland, but I'd rather take a break from the whole communal living thing if possible (clean sheets and a shower would be a good thing too).

Thanks,

Cosmo (misanthrope)

Jeff
06-21-2010, 15:48
I have only heard positive reviews regarding the Inn at the Long Trail. They know how to take care of hikers.

max patch
06-21-2010, 15:55
I stayed at Mountain Meadows Lodge on my thru and enjoyed it there so much that I took my wife there during a ski trip to Killington and paid the seasonal tourist rates.

I did the same thing a few years later at the Inn on the Long Trail.

Neither place will disappoint you.

burger
06-21-2010, 17:22
On my long section in '06, I stayed at the Inn at Long Trail, and I thought it was fantastic. Great dinner, excellent breakfast (included with the price of the room iirc), The bar had live music. It was definitely one of my favorite hotels/hostels on the trail.

rdljr
06-21-2010, 20:41
It is a short hitch to rutland (and a think there is a bus) where you can find every hotel under the sun, but the inn at Long trail is a good one.

vonfrick
06-21-2010, 20:50
i'ved hike the LT twice and never found any reason to go into rutland...LT inn is superb and there's a decent minimart/liquor store, PO and outfitter at the bottom of the hill you can get to on the bus for 2 bucks

Cookerhiker
06-21-2010, 20:56
Another vote for the Inn at the Long Trail. The ambience, the Irish dishes, the music, the location, reasonable rates for hikers, and the bartenders' artistry in arranging the foam atop the Guinness in the shape of a shamrock!

Blissful
06-21-2010, 21:42
Mendon Lodge was great in '07, I plan to be there again and they accept mail drops. The only thing is dinner, which we got a burger from the place across the way, expensive

Tinker
06-21-2010, 22:55
If Oakie is at the desk at the Inn, say "hi" for me. It isn't likely he'll remember me by either my trail name or my real name, but he might remember that I take my wife up to the Inn every year for her birthday in November.
The Inn is a wonderful place, especially the pub and the hot tub. There is a defunct camp across Rte. 4 with several old cabins (ruins) which may be worth checking out. I have some pictures on Webshots under the user name Tinkerdan.

dgever
06-21-2010, 22:55
I would take the bus to Rutland and stay with the 12 tribes, and most likely some one will pick you up and give you a ride while waiting. It is in the downtown area so you will have many more options, as apposed to the Inn.

Tinker
06-21-2010, 23:00
Right down the hill from the Inn:
http://www.longtrail.com/
I haven't visited, but it's nice to know that it is very close to the LT, not just using the name to sell the beverage.
There is a very good deli at the bottom of the hill at the intersection of Vt. 100 and 4.
One more thing:
If money's tight and you don't mind going down the hill a bit (or if you're hiking the AT, not the LT), you might want to check into Gifford Woods State Park. They have tentsites, RV hookups (yeah, I know...........), and shelters with screened fronts, if you can manage to obtain one. Nice small campground - not overused.

peakbagger
06-22-2010, 07:54
Gifford Woods is an interesting place, its is patterned after the "communities" that MacKay envisioned placed along the AT for city folks to get away from it all. There is also a patch of old growth forest northbound from the park.

garlic08
06-22-2010, 08:45
Another vote for the Inn at the Long Trail. The ambience, the Irish dishes, the music, the location, reasonable rates for hikers, and the bartenders' artistry in arranging the foam atop the Guinness in the shape of a shamrock!

Ditto this! Fantastic place. Also, if you're NOBO on the AT, you can detour less than 1/2 mile to the town of Killington for C-store resupply and a great deli. I saw no need to go to Rutland, either.

Berserker
06-22-2010, 09:21
As most others have said the Inn at Long Trail is awesome. I was there just last week. I shared a room with my buddy for $65 total, and the price includes a large home cooked breakfast. There is an Irish pub in the place that serves very good food. I also enjoyed some Long Trail Ale, which I hadn't ever tried before this trip (this was my first time in VT). Most of the other customers at the place were hikers, which was cool. The bartender told me that hikers are their main clientel in the warm months. Oh yeah, and as another poster mentioned they really know how to pour a Guinness.

peakbagger
06-22-2010, 13:00
The Long trail brewery is just a few miles down the road from the Inn at the Long Trail. I expect it would be an easy hitch. They have a restaurant and a pub. Might make for a nice diversion on a rainy day

modiyooch
06-22-2010, 14:53
Thanks for the tips. Can we now document the rest of the state for the AT? I'm leaving soon to hopefully knock out VT. Hoping to hit B&B's for my celebration hike, but I don't think that I will be permitted due to finances.

Cookerhiker
06-24-2010, 20:55
Thanks for the tips. Can we now document the rest of the state for the AT? I'm leaving soon to hopefully knock out VT. Hoping to hit B&B's for my celebration hike, but I don't think that I will be permitted due to finances.

Perhaps it's possible that a package inn-to-inn deal will be less expensive although you pay the organizer to transport your stuff every day. Sounds like fun though. Hope you can find the $$$ to celebrate in style.

Here's one example (http://www.inntoinn.com/self_hike.htm). You can google for others.

Tinker
06-24-2010, 21:47
The ILT would be a fantastic place for a Whiteblaze member gathering.

sharky
07-14-2010, 23:46
I will be finishing up my 100 mile section hike in late September at The Inn. I was hoping to find a place at the end of the hike under the inns fall tourist season rate (under $128) that has showers and clean beds.
Are there less expensive options or is that the going rate that time of year?