PDA

View Full Version : Gossamer Gear Customer service- lukewarm first impression- good recovery

sir limpsalot
06-21-2010, 19:18
I recently went to order a 2.1oz thinlight pad from Gossamer Gear's website for $5.25 shipping to my house in md. I changed to 2 pads (wife too!) and shipping went to $13.63. Thinking the auto calculator for shipping had a glitch on this one I emailed customer service asking for assistance. I got a prompt, polite reply from Michael informing me that 2 pads took the weight over a pound and took it to the next shipping tier. Kinda "too bad, so sad- have a nice day". I hesitate when considering some of their pricier items that caught my eye because I'm now uncertain of their customer service.
......does anyone have any other experience with Gossamer Gear that would show a different light?

Phreak
06-21-2010, 20:52
I recently went to order a 2.1oz thinlight pad from Gossamer Gear's website for $5.25 shipping to my house in md. I changed to 2 pads (wife too!) and shipping went to $13.63. Thinking the auto calculator for shipping had a glitch on this one I emailed customer service asking for assistance. I got a prompt, polite reply from Michael informing me that 2 pads took the weight over a pound and took it to the next shipping tier. Kinda "too bad, so sad- have a nice day". I hesitate when considering some of their pricier items that caught my eye because I'm now uncertain of their customer service.
......does anyone have any other experience with Gossamer Gear that would show a different light?
I've been trying to get a hold of them for weeks. Gave up on ordering from them.

Appalachian Tater
06-21-2010, 20:53
So just buy the pads separately in two different orders.

Maybe one pad can go in a Tyvek envelope and two pads have to go in a cardboard box or maybe one pad fits in a Priority Mail flat rate envelope or box which costs about $5 to send and two takes a large box which is closer to $15. Maybe they have to use different shipping classes or methods or carriers for under and over a pound. Maybe under a pound their postman picks up and over a pound they have to make a trip to the PO for. With those odd amounts it sounds like there is some reason for the rates even if you don't know what it is. It's not like they're charging $5 a pound.

I sell things on eBay and Amazon and there are a lot of factors that go into shipping costs. Especially with something like CDs or paperback books, two items that look alike will weigh differently. With heavy books I might get $3.99 for postage but it takes $6-7.

Yes, the situation you describe makes little sense but it isn't poor customer service for them not to adjust their standardized shipping table because you ask them too. It would be excellent customer service if they DID, however.

sir limpsalot
06-21-2010, 21:07

Yes, the situation you describe makes little sense but it isn't poor customer service for them not to adjust their standardized shipping table because you ask them too. It would be excellent customer service if they DID, however.

Considering the nature of an ultra-light product line, excellent customer service is a major factor in deciding to buy. There are too many companies that do offer top-notch response, even to the needs of an individual customer, to settle for anything less.

Appalachian Tater
06-21-2010, 21:29
Yes, I don't think you should settle for that sort of poor treatment. Spend your money elsewhere.

Blissful
06-21-2010, 21:49
Weird I ordered two pads from them and shipping was nowhere near that (Or I wouldn't have gotten it). ?

Tinker
06-21-2010, 22:00

Send them back and reorder them individually. Michael did nothing wrong.
Sometimes things don't go our way. That's life.

garlic08
06-22-2010, 00:05
I dealt a lot with Gossamer Gear a couple of years ago and had great service from them. I've been real happy with their packs. I know they've bent over backwards providing customer service to some demanding hikers I've met who actually abused their gear. I haven't talked to them lately, though.

thelowend
06-22-2010, 00:12
an utter outrage i say...

Franco
06-22-2010, 03:00
Shipping charges from most businesses are averaged out according to what it cost them (on average) for a certain size,weight or dollar value.
That is either not fair to the customer or to the shop most of the time. Occasionally it is spot on...

So for example if I want to buy something from REI and have it sent here (Melbourne), an item that sells for $100 will cost me $33 in postage. Now if that item is $100.01 , the charge is $60.
Now what happens if my $100 item is heavier and bulkier and on special (less mark up) and the $100.01 happens to be a 1 oz gizmo at full RRP ?
Chances are that REI would lose on the $33 postage and make a mozza on the $100.01, but it could be the other way if I instead purchased a $200 item (still $60 postage) on special and 2 tops at full mark up at $100.
Franco

Egads
06-22-2010, 07:06
I'm really surprised to hear about any GG problems. Especially from you Phreak. I've been a repeat customer and never had any issues with their service.

Seeker
06-22-2010, 07:46

For the rep not to have figured that out himself and suggested it to the customer is as irritating as when i have to tell the kid at the fast food restaurant counter how much my change should be because s/he failed basic arithmetic... not "poor customer service"? maybe we should just expect less and it will be "good customer service"...

Spokes
06-22-2010, 07:54
My experience is there's usually a lot of wiggle room on the actual "weights" listed by online retailers.

Here's some statistics according to a 2001 Jupiter Research study of 50 online merchants regarding shipping rates conducted by Ken Cassar a veteran retail analyst:

- 54% based their shipping and handling charges on the size of the order and only 30% based their charges on the total weight of the items purchased.

- 63% of the consumers surveyed cited excessive shipping costs as the reason they abandoned a shopping cart prior to purchase; by far, the No.1 reason cited.

Wonder if Gossamer Gear is actually weighing all their items or just guessing based on size?

Toolshed
06-22-2010, 09:08
Look at the website. if you order 1 $10 thinlite pad, shipping is $5.35 via USPS. If you order 2, it is $12.xx via UPS.
Cust service was correct. The weight changes, but what he didn't state is that shipping goes from USPS to UPS, probably and not only because of the weight change but perhaps volume (space) needs. 2 might just fit better in a UPS box, than a postal box.

I think you should have probably picked that up as well, since you would need to select shipping methods.;)

PS - What you don't know is that maybe it was the kid's first day or perhaps there was something else going on....Perhaps you read more into his response than was there.

Two Tents
06-22-2010, 09:18
54% based their shipping and handling charges on the size of the order and only 30% based their charges on the total weight of the items purchased.

- 63% of the consumers surveyed cited excessive shipping costs as the reason they abandoned a shopping cart prior to purchase; by far, the No.1 reason cited. . .and 73.29% of most stastics are worthless

SouthMark
06-22-2010, 10:12
I have had nothing but excellent service from GG. I have had immediate responses from them and from Grant directly. When I decided that I wanted a "The One" for my Maine hike last year and they were out of stock Grant bent over backwards to come up with one for me. I sent my Mariposa Plus back to be retrofitted with the aluminum frame and it was installed and returned promptly.

Spokes
06-22-2010, 10:29
...and 73.29% of most stastics are worthless

Apparently 73.29% of people don't know how to spell statistics.

DaleTr
06-22-2010, 10:57
Everytime I hear Gossamar I think of my very first official backpacking trip.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49368
and how a GG employee was the hero. I emailed Grant personally as he was the hero's boss. .
I had clearly intended on making a tent purchase w GG but instead ordered a SMD Lunar Duo. I love my SMD but have felt guilty ever since for not supporting GG and Grant and Paul.
Thanks for reminding me to make some type of GG purchase in the near future.

skinewmexico
06-22-2010, 11:19
I have had nothing but excellent service from GG. I have had immediate responses from them and from Grant directly. When I decided that I wanted a "The One" for my Maine hike last year and they were out of stock Grant bent over backwards to come up with one for me. I sent my Mariposa Plus back to be retrofitted with the aluminum frame and it was installed and returned promptly.

I usually try to talk to Grant too. He has retrofitted 2 Mariposas for me. Prompt and fast. Sounds like they have some new guys. Grant used to be on the BPL forums on a regular basis, maybe you could catch him there and complain, although that isn't going to change the USPS/UPS shipping policies.

The Solemates
06-22-2010, 12:28
Apparently 73.29% of people don't know how to spell statistics.

90% of statistics are made up on the spot.

sir limpsalot
06-22-2010, 12:43
UPDATE: i went ahead and ordered just the one pad last night. figured i might as well check it out before getting 2 since there was no savings in getting both together. Michael from Gossamer Gear emailed me this am and let me know he found my order for one pad and upgraded it for 2 pads - "so my wife would have one too". Apparently customer service is more responsive than I had guaged from Michael's initial reply.

Cooldays
06-22-2010, 12:46
I have received excellent service from them! I bought trekking poles and forgot to ask for straps. They sent me a second pair without asking or charging me for shipping just confident that I would return the first pair without the straps back to them (which i did of course!) I was so happy with their service I decided next time I need a pack I will look at them and if possible give them the benefit of the doubt.

sbhikes
06-23-2010, 19:45
When my tent zipper broke on my PCT hike Grant was nice enough to rush deliver a loaner tent out of his own personal stash. I used it for the remainder of my hike. He shipped my tent back with the zipper fixed and there was no charge for any of it.

DapperD
06-24-2010, 10:26
......does anyone have any other experience with Gossamer Gear that would show a different light?I don't understand at all why in the world you would lay your blame on Gossamer Gear:confused:! This has to do with shipping costs concerning the overall weight of the shipment, pure and simple. Your ire is misdirected. It needs to be put towards the shipping companies and their costs. As a matter of fact, I have even seen many gear companies that for purchasing over $50 worth of gear from, they will even provide free shipping. Maybe consider ordering from a company such as this, and order an additional item or 3, and reap the benefits of entirely free shipping by taking this route.:D

Ewker
06-24-2010, 10:43
UPDATE: i went ahead and ordered just the one pad last night. figured i might as well check it out before getting 2 since there was no savings in getting both together. Michael from Gossamer Gear emailed me this am and let me know he found my order for one pad and upgraded it for 2 pads - "so my wife would have one too". Apparently customer service is more responsive than I had guaged from Michael's initial reply.

glad to see that it worked out for you

Mocs123
06-24-2010, 11:41
I have had nothing but great customer service from Gossamer Gear.

lukabrazi
04-26-2011, 12:50
I think they have great products and I have heard great things about their customer service but I do think there is something off about their shipping calculator/costs. For example if you order the LT4S trekking poles you pay about $13 shipping which seems reasonable. Add the .2 ounce lighttrek camera mount and shipping goes up to $26. Can't be right. Order the .2 ounce camera mount on it's own and shipping is $13. There are several small things that I would order except shipping costs almost equal product costs.

STICK
04-26-2011, 17:16
All I have of GG is a 1/8" Thinlight, and I will admit that it was a little difficult for me to get it, but that was by no fault of GG. For some reason, my debit card was declined, all 6 or 7 times I tried, although there was a hold for $15 each time I tried to place the order. (The money was not withdrawn, there was just a hold put on it.) So, my order never went through. This happened about the time that GG changed their site over so I called them and talked with Michael (I believe). He looked into it and got back in touch with me. We never figured out why my card was declined though. In the end, I had to mail them a check and wait for it to process before I got the pad...so, it took me about a month all together, but I did get it. However, Michael kept me up to date with the entire process, actually calling me back more than once. Very nice.

Also,a while back I emailed Grant about the LT4's since they had been out of stock for quite a while on the site. He promptly returned my email explaining that they were waiting for parts to come in and it would still be a few weeks for sure. Then one day out of the blue I got an email from Grant saying that the parts would be in soon and he wanted to give me heads up so that I could go ahead and preorder if I still wanted to...sadly to say, I ordered my Leki's about 2 weeks before then...

Anyway, great service IME. Gossamer Gear seems to be one of those companies with great products, and cares about both the products and the customer. Kind of like ULA...

(And no, I am not affiliated with GG.) :)

DripDry
04-26-2011, 17:27
Nothing but good things to say about GG- great products, and in my experience, great customer service as well.

randyg45
04-26-2011, 18:07
You asked an online retailer a question.
You received what you characterize as "a prompt, polite reply"; a reply I would further characterize as factual.

So: you are now "uncertain of their customer service".

I am grateful not to live burdened with disappointments resulting from unrealistic expectations.

Toli
04-26-2011, 18:14
apparently 73.29% of people don't know how to spell statistics.

rotflmao...

skinewmexico
04-26-2011, 18:30

And apparently there is a thread topic which will make the casual reader think lukewarm customer service.

Chop
04-26-2011, 19:03
I find the original post confusing. The OP mentions that the reply he received was prompt and polite.

The matter of fact response by GG is something I would want. Is there something being read into his response that just isn't being articulated in the above post?

As a former commerce biz owner, the bump up in shipping at a certain weight point is something that we ran into constantly. And to make things more confusing, their is a certain sweet spot where UPS does become cheaper for most small businesses.

In general, one may want to consider that the owner of the company cannot answer each email, and that employees with the tech know how to handle customer service emails may not know the ins and outs of the shipping costs, or other aspects that a customer may confront. That is the issue with having employees, they have strengths and weaknesses.

What was the too-bad so sad comment? I am not saying this to be a jerk, just asking.

gunner76
04-26-2011, 19:38
I have an online business and shipping is a pain. I ship via USPS and they calculate shipping cost based on destination, size of package, weight of package and type of shipping used (First Class, Priority, Express).

Chop
04-26-2011, 22:54
I have an online business and shipping is a pain. I ship via USPS and they calculate shipping cost based on destination, size of package, weight of package and type of shipping used (First Class, Priority, Express).

Right on. This post reminds me how something that is often beyond our control can affect our business and relationships, even though it is so integral to running a business online.

JaxHiker
04-27-2011, 10:13

Sounds like this turned into an excellent customer service scenario. :banana

Chop
04-27-2011, 10:16
Sounds like this turned into an excellent customer service scenario. :banana

Sounds like the thread title should be changed :)

sbhikes
04-27-2011, 11:46
These kinds of posts always make me feel bad. They aren't a giant company with corporate headquarters in Bermuda to avoid taxes and slaves in China making cheap gear. Maybe you should shop at Walmart.

Chubbs4U
04-27-2011, 13:47
Just my experience, I ordered from them late last night and it was shipped today.

LDog
04-27-2011, 15:26
Last night I ordered two 1/8" pads for which I paid $9.11 shipping via fedex. They shipped this morning. No complaint here!

Berserker
04-28-2011, 12:08
I have ordered multiple items from GG, and have no complaints about their customer service. It was always prompt and courteous just like every other cottage gear manufacturer I have dealt with. Their LT4 poles are awesome by the way.

sir limpsalot
04-28-2011, 12:39
These kinds of posts always make me feel bad. They aren't a giant company with corporate headquarters in Bermuda to avoid taxes and slaves in China making cheap gear. Maybe you should shop at Walmart.
The initial response made me feel like I had contacted walmart

I find the original post confusing. The OP mentions that the reply he received was prompt and polite.

The matter of fact response by GG is something I would want. Is there something being read into his response that just isn't being articulated in the above post?

In general, one may want to consider that the owner of the company cannot answer each email, and that employees with the tech know how to handle customer service emails may not know the ins and outs of the shipping costs, or other aspects that a customer may confront. That is the issue with having employees, they have strengths and weaknesses.

What was the too-bad so sad comment? I am not saying this to be a jerk, just asking.
The intial response was not to the point. The "too-bad-so-sad" was my impression of the tone imparted...I was being deflected. I too have owned a retail business and currently work in customer service: I know when someone is not engaged in helping me. The additional weight of the second pad probably equalled a toothpase cap....shouldn't have caused that kind of jump in shipping.

Last night I ordered two 1/8" pads for which I paid $9.11 shipping via fedex. They shipped this morning. No complaint here!
That's more like I was expecting!

sir limpsalot
04-28-2011, 12:43
Sounds like the thread title should be changed :)
I wish I could! GG worked hard to recover the situation and left me with a positive feeling for the company.

You asked an online retailer a question.
You received what you characterize as "a prompt, polite reply"; a reply I would further characterize as factual.

So: you are now "uncertain of their customer service".

I am grateful not to live burdened with disappointments resulting from unrealistic expectations.
You don't, by any chance, have floppy ears, sad eyes and play a supporting role in "Winnie the Poo"?

Skidsteer
04-28-2011, 16:32
I wish I could! GG worked hard to recover the situation and left me with a positive feeling for the company.

I imagine you can.

PM the moderator for this forum and discuss it. It's not a particularly difficult task to change a thread title.