PDA

View Full Version : Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Hammock

12ax7
06-21-2010, 19:30
hey all, i am looking for a light hammock. have been looking at the skeeter beeter ultra light. wuz wondering if anyone owned one and what they thought of it . any comments wud be greatly appreciated. tnx . jim.

Doctari
06-21-2010, 21:13
I LOVE MINE!!!!!!

Wish I still had a camping usable one. I like my new SB Pro, but preferred the smaller one.

Mine has lasted for over 4 years of near constant use. Due to MY modification, I wore the zipper to the netting out in 2 years, but that was all me. I highly recommend this hammock.

12ax7
06-21-2010, 21:22
tnx a million doc!.. i thought abt the travel hammock. but the skeeter beeter with the mesh looks like that wud be the way to go. tnx again Jim.

Tinker
06-21-2010, 22:07
I bought a hammock with a zipper bug mesh upper. The stitching ripped along the zipper. It was not a Grand Trunk, but, if you're over 215 like me you may find that it happens to you, too. The hammock I had required spreader bars to open up the netting over the hammock, so I had to rig a line from tree to tree and tie two sticks to the mesh to keep it off of me. I also had a Hennessy Hammock which was much simpler though I didn't like the bottom entry too much. I've since dumbed down my hammock gear and gone with a simple gathered end hammock from REI for $19.93 and a bug net from Eagle's Nest Outfitters (forgot the price but it was around $50.00). It's a little more complicated to set up than the other two and is heavier by a few ounces but it is much more flexible. See my pictures in the gallery here.

Tinker
06-21-2010, 22:09
Here's one of my pictures. Notice how uncomplicated the insulation system is:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38616&catid=member&imageuser=2502

12ax7
06-21-2010, 22:42
tnx tinker. thats a very uncomplicated insulation system.lol.. i love it. i wuz wondering abt the same thing, that the mesh wud separate from the hammock and be a problem. on a gud day and soaking wet. i might weigh 170. lol. tnx for the help. i am new to hammocks. i really appreciate all the advice!!... Jim..

Tinker
06-21-2010, 22:49
tnx tinker. thats a very uncomplicated insulation system.lol.. i love it. i wuz wondering abt the same thing, that the mesh wud separate from the hammock and be a problem. on a gud day and soaking wet. i might weigh 170. lol. tnx for the help. i am new to hammocks. i really appreciate all the advice!!... Jim..

One thing about the insulation (my system or any other). If the insulation hangs below the hammock body there will be an air space which will get cold. The insulation will not work well (if at all).
Re: the separate bug netting - You can leave it at home when there aren't any bugs, saving weight, and it's nice that you can look over the edge of your hammock (or even hang your head over if the netting is sprayed with bug repellant). Sometimes I sleep for hours like that. A hat on your head helps keep the skeeters from biting.
One more thing: I've been stung through the bottom of my Hennessy Hammock. Since the separate bug netting surrounds the hammock in the system I'm now using, it would be next to impossible for the aggressive bald (white) faced hornets to repeat the insult. They seem happy to sting you if you're within 200 feet of their nest.

Shiraz-mataz
06-22-2010, 06:24
When first dabbling with hammocks my hiking buddy bought a Skeeter Beeter. I'm not sure about any specific model though. I was there when he test drove it in the backyard and the VERY FIRST time he got in it the stitching on the end ripped where the line attached and he fell to the ground. His opinion was set - the thing was a piece of junk. He then went out and bought a Hennesey and has been a happy camper ever since!