PDA

View Full Version : Mooseilauke loop??

A-Train
11-05-2004, 14:20
Sorry for mispelling the mountain name. I've only been up and over it on the AT. Are there any good loops that could return me to the parking lot near Glencliff? I remember there being a trail up to the lodge, but I don't know where it goes and I don't currently have my map set at my disposle. Can anyone set up a good medium/long day hike? Thanks

Peaks
11-05-2004, 17:23
A-Train,

Several years ago my son and I started at Glencliff, hiked up the Glencliff Trail (AT), down Beaver Brook Trail (AT), then back up Beaver Brook Trail to Mt. Jim and the Asquam Ridge Trail over to Dartmouth's Ravine Lodge, and then back to Glencliff vis the Hurricane Trail.

It was an overnighter for us. At that time, the Beaver Brook Shelter was at the bottom of the climb, not at the top where it is now.

If I were to do it again now, I would park at Ravine Lodge and do the loop.

Another alternative, good for a day hike to bag the peak is to park at Ravine Lodge and go up the Carriage Road and down Gorge Brook Trail or Asquam Ridge Trail back to the Lodge.

poison_ivy
11-05-2004, 17:56
A-Train, there are lots of good options for hiking Moosilauke. The Hurricaine Trail leads from the Moosilauke Ravine lodge back to the Glencliff trailhead. So you could head up Glencliff and down the Carriage Road or Gorge Brook Trail, which both have junctions with the Hurricaine Trail. (Unfortunately, I haven't been on the Hurricaine Trail... so I can't comment on whether it's a good route or not.) It would be a long day to go that way -- the Hurricaine Trail from Glencliff to Gorge Brook is 4.3 miles and Gorge Brook is 3.7, so it would be about a 12 mile day. Too long for me with these short daylight hours, but I'm a slow hiker. :) Taking the Carriage Road to Hurricane would be a little shorter.

I'd also recommend just hiking the loop from the Lodge that Peaks suggested. It's a nice day hike and a lot shorter.

- Ivy

LionKing
11-20-2004, 00:04
I got a great one for you...its awesome, and the hike up is easier on the legs.

Start from Glencliff...go up (north) the AT past Jeffers Brook shelter...you get to the service road, and instead of following the AT, go LEFT...about 1/4 of a mile on the RIGHT you will see what looks like an old road going down...take it, there is also a Forest service sign there. That is the Tunnel Brook trail...it goes for about four miles by awesome beaver ponds and mud ponds with Moosilaukes reflection in a couple of them.

You will intersect a service road...a giant boulder is in the way...stay straight on the road...you will see(After a bridge) a sign for the Benton Trail to the RIGHT...take it. That will take you to the top of Moosilauke, then stick to the AT and you will walk right back to the service road where Jeffers Brook is.

have fun!

Lion King

walkingwithfreedom.com

LionKing
11-20-2004, 00:07
You could always park at the Trailhead by Jeffers Brook at the pay place, and save a mile. forgot that one, but Hikers Welcome is a good place to park, and Packrat will let you do it free.

Frosty
11-20-2004, 00:11
(Unfortunately, I haven't been on the Hurricaine Trail... so I can't comment on whether it's a good route or not.) The HUrricane Trail is right in the middle of a Star Trek wormhole. It looks like four miles on the map. When you finish and reach the AT near Glencliff your are four miles from the Lodge, BUT you have to walk what seems like TWENTY miles to get there. Obviously some sort of parallel dimension.