PDA

View Full Version : Playing With My Magellan

Gray Blazer
06-21-2010, 21:41
I know ... if I don't stop playing with it, it'll fall off or I'll go blind or something.

Seriously, my kids got me a Magellan Triton 300 and I don't have a clue how to use it or what it really does. It does not come with instructions except how to put the battery in and how to turn it on.

If there are any patient techies out there that want to help, I thank you in advance. I am playing with it right now and trying to install the software. I'll check back and let you know how it is going or if it fell off.

Tinker
06-21-2010, 23:26
Map and compass - no batteries :).
Gotta love your kids for trying to help, though :D.

Gray Blazer
06-21-2010, 23:45
I got the directions online. They aren't too clear, I can't even set the right time.

Spent 3 hours so far.

beakerman
06-22-2010, 10:51
Ok I tell you what I'll make an even trade...you send me that difficult to operate GPSR and I'll send you my nav system along with a free training course on how to operate my system. It's enviromentally friendly because it uses no batteries and virtually all of it can be made from recycled materials...ye old map and compass. If you know how to use them you are never lost. they never run out of batteries and they work in heavy tree cover.

Gray Blazer
06-22-2010, 20:49
Ok I tell you what I'll make an even trade...you send me that difficult to operate GPSR and I'll send you my nav system along with a free training course on how to operate my system. It's enviromentally friendly because it uses no batteries and virtually all of it can be made from recycled materials...ye old map and compass. If you know how to use them you are never lost. they never run out of batteries and they work in heavy tree cover.

Old skool GPS!! :D

OK ... so far this is what I found out. It has a map that shows Interstate Highways, State Highways and US Highways. I think if I want to get street maps I have to pay for them.

If you go on a hike, it can show you the way back to your truck.

Is there anything I'm missing? I may take it back (I have the receipt and it won't hurt my kids/grandkids feelings-I just hate to be a quitter).

I understand it is good for finding geocaches, but I think people are tired of me leaving a Book of Mormon and taking their comic books.

Last question ... Can it be used like a Garmin?

Gray Blazer
06-23-2010, 21:57
Bumpity Bump

OK ... after researching on WB, I'm trding it in for a Garmin.

Wise Old Owl
06-26-2010, 23:13
I got the directions online. They aren't too clear, I can't even set the right time.

Spent 3 hours so far.

wait the system will know the time, leave it outside for a while.

I will pull the manual

Wise Old Owl
06-27-2010, 12:35
GB are you still interested or is it going back?

Gray Blazer
06-27-2010, 15:30
Owl, I took it back. I'm getting a Garmin. Didn't think about leaving it outside.

Wise Old Owl
06-27-2010, 17:14
OK remember to set it up outside, let it get some data for five minutes before making changes

Gray Blazer
06-28-2010, 09:23
Thanks Owl. That's the kind of info I needed. It makes sense, but I did not read that anywhere in the directions.

Gray Blazer
07-02-2010, 17:19
I love my new Garmin Nuvi. I love my daughter and her family. I even love Lone Wolf. HeLL, I even love Samioyogi.

garlic08
07-02-2010, 23:41
I know ... if I don't stop playing with it...I'll go blind or something...

Just do it until you need glasses.:D

Gray Blazer
07-03-2010, 00:05
Just do it until you need glasses.:D

I could get struck by lightning!!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/9/3/2/2/dscn1818.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=34513&original=1&c=member&imageuser=19322)