PDA

View Full Version : How to get to Linville Gorge

nitegaunt
06-22-2010, 08:05
I've been looking at info on the net about Linville Gorge. It's one of the few nearby areas I haven't explored at all. I live around Elizabethton Tennessee near where the at crosses Watauga Dam. I was wondering what the best way would be for me to get there from here. I have seen where there are at least two different trailheads to take into the area but I don't know which would be the best to explore for a day hike. Anyone familiar with the area and can suggest a good first day hike of about 6 miles or so? Also directions on how to get there would be nice.

modiyooch
06-22-2010, 08:21
I40 to exit 90(nebo) to 126 puts you at Lake James. You can follow the MST from Pinnacle to climb Shortoff which gives you excellant views of the gorge. Just did this Friday.

Another access point is Table Rock area. Get to 181 from the Blue Ridge Parkway area, roughly milepost 311 or junction of 183. Take 181 south to Jonas Ridge Gingercake community. Follow the gravel road to a few access points to the gorge, or Table Rock.

or google linville gorge for better directions and more access points.

The Old Chief
06-22-2010, 10:27
My hiking friend Weatherguy can give you the shortest route from Elizabethton to Linville Gorge. You can get in touch with him through his journal on Trailjournals.com. He's from Jonesborough and made that same trip several times when we were hiking the MST. We used I-40 once and then some locals on Jonas Ridge gave him a shorter route.

The Solemates
06-22-2010, 11:16
why wouldnt you just take 19E to 194? its only like a 30 minute drive.

modiyooch
06-22-2010, 11:34
I only oriented him to the four different trailheads by giving him the main roads. He can figure out the best drive.

modiyooch
06-22-2010, 11:37
There is probably a 1-2000 ft elevation difference between two of the trailheads. table rock vs lake james

Tennessee Viking
06-22-2010, 11:44
I've been looking at info on the net about Linville Gorge. It's one of the few nearby areas I haven't explored at all. I live around Elizabethton Tennessee near where the at crosses Watauga Dam. I was wondering what the best way would be for me to get there from here. I have seen where there are at least two different trailheads to take into the area but I don't know which would be the best to explore for a day hike. Anyone familiar with the area and can suggest a good first day hike of about 6 miles or so? Also directions on how to get there would be nice.Its relatively easy to get to. The west side (Memorial Highway) is especially easier to access. If you want to camp in the gorge, you will need to check with the Nebo Forest office on permits. They have a weird schedule on requirring permits. I would recommend Bynum Bluff or Babel Tower Trails. They are some of the closest ones to access the Gorge Trail. But definitely get a National Geo Linville Gorge map, or USFS map. There are a lot of interconnecting trails.

Eastern side is a bit rougher to access but has the best scenary and more climbing. Western side you will probably see more wildflowers and see all the cliffs.

Directions:
Western side
From Elizabethton, head south on 19E into NC. Continute on NC 194 to Newland. Then the highway will merge with US221 south. After you pass under the parkway, the road will split at the town of Linville Falls. Take NC 183 through the town. You will then see forest service signs for Memorial Highway/Linville Falls on the right. It is pretty good graded road. But the further you go, it can get a little rough. But there are several parking areas and pull outs as you go for the trailheads.

Eastern side
You can also take NC 181 south from Newland & Pineola. Go past the community of Ripshin Ridge. You will see a small sign for Table Rock Rec Area (if you see Upper Creek Falls/Barkhouse Rec areas, you gone too far) on the right. Go up this road (also USFS 496), and it will eventually turn gravel. You can follow this road a bit and find another batch of trailheads for the eastern side of the gorge. Table Rock Rec area is one of the most popular trailheads, but it is up a steep road when you get to Outward Bound. The 496 road might also be needing rehab.

I don't think any of the Linville Falls trails from the parkway or the initial Memorial Hwy trailhead will give you any access to the gorge trail.

You can also pretty much access the the Gorge using the MST either from the forest road off of NC 181 or from Woodlawn Park on US 221. NC 181 is probably the better approach. From Woodlawn Park, you will have to ford rivers and climb a steep Shortoff Mtn.

Grits
06-22-2010, 13:20
Here is a great resource for finding trails http://www.linvillegorge.net/ and there is a new Linville Gorge Wilderness trail topo map from the Forest Service that can be obtained from Mast Store or Footsloggers in Boone NC. The fastest way from Elizabethton to either side trail heads is 19E to Newland and connect with 221 South to Linville Falls from there you can hit the Kistler Memorial Hwy on the west side or cut across hwy 183 and go south on hwy 181 and turn right at Gingercake acres to get to Hawksbill/table rock area. Enjoy your hike.