PDA

View Full Version : Help planning 5 day Hot Springs start or end

jcramin
06-22-2010, 12:41
My son and I are planning a week long AT trip next year sometime, and we need some help planning since this will be our first time on the AT.

We need help with the starting or finishing point. We know we want to either start or finish at Hot Springs, and we would like to do the trail south of Hot Springs so the other end of our trip will be in GSMNP. Since this is our first time on the AT and we want to spend plenty of time looking and enjoying we only want to do about 30-35 miles in the 5 days.

Where is a good point to start or end our trip in GSMNP, and are there any must see spots in between or great spots for making camp ?

Also, are there any shuttle services between those areas that could get us back to our vehicles ?

Thanks,
J

Berserker
06-22-2010, 12:57
I haven't done GSMNP yet so I can't help you there, but the distance from Green Corner Rd. (just past the North end of GSMNP where Standing Bear Farm is located) to Hot Springs is 33.4 miles. That is also a really neat section in my opinion. I'm not sure what your vehicle situation is, but you can park either at SBF or in Hot Springs. Curtis at SBF may offer shuttles too (you'll have to check with him on that).

jcramin
06-22-2010, 13:07
WOW Thanks Berserker I looked up Standing Bear Farm and that is everything I think we need. They do shuttle and lodging and supplies and everything. That will be the perfect starting point for us.

Thanks,
J

fredmugs
06-22-2010, 16:51
I hiked that SOBO as part of a larger section hike Mar 2009. Parking at SB and getting a shuttle to Hot Springs would work out really well for you.

bigcranky
06-22-2010, 18:07
I'm honestly not sure it's possible to stretch that hike into 5 days, though. But if you get to Hot Springs early and want to keep hiking, just get a ride to Allen Gap and hike back south to town.

Jim Obermeyer
06-22-2010, 20:13
You can do Irwin,TN to Hot Springs, NC. It's about 70 miles. Or you could do Sam's Gap to Hot Springs, it's about 40 miles. These two hikes are heading south. You could also do Davenport Gap to Hot Springs which is about 40 miles heading north. Contact the Bluff Mt Outfiter's in Hot Springs. Shuttles are all over the place.

Stir Fry
06-22-2010, 20:39
erwin to hot spring is a good hike in 5 days, did it last year and finished by noon the 5 th day.

jcramin
08-04-2010, 17:16
Well I think I have decided we will get dropped off at US 25 & 70 Overpass/Tanyard Gap and head SOBO to Standing Bear Farm at Green Corner Rd. Mileage shows that at 39.3 miles. planing to do it in 5 days. First day would be a short day of 5.9 miles stopping in Hot Springs for the first night.

turtle fast
08-04-2010, 19:08
The Hot Springs are nice to relax the muscles, they are modern hot tubs with piped hot spring water that are outside in a covered open air structure. It is though I remember pricey to do but it was a nice relaxing soak.