PDA

View Full Version : Rewards for hiking West Virginia

BlueRidgeOutdoors
06-22-2010, 14:15
Rewards for Hiking West Virginia (http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/blogs/habitual-hiker/rewards-for-hiking-west-virginia/)

By Leonard Adkins • May 4, 2010

"Are you goal-oriented? Do you like to mark progress as you work toward a goal, and then be given a something-you-can-actually-hold-in-your-hands reward once achieved? If so, enroll in two programs offered by West Virginia’s Division of Natural Resources. They involve something you already like doing—hiking—and as you work on one goal you can be accumulating credits toward the other..."

READ MORE:
http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/blogs/habitual-hiker/rewards-for-hiking-west-virginia/

Gray Blazer
06-22-2010, 19:35
Biting my tongue ...

Luddite
06-22-2010, 20:33
I like hiking but I'm not goal-oriented. :(

fiddlehead
06-22-2010, 20:53
West VA would be some of the toughest hiking in the lower 48 IMO.

I have kayaked there extensively in the 80's and 90's and that state has plenty of mountains with no ridges. More like a mogul field with large bumps.

It rains a lot (hence the great whitewater) and there are lots of strange people living in those backwoods.

I do respect Leonard Adkins as he is a thru-hiker with many great hikes under his belt.

I do think that any long distance hike in THAT state would be filled with adventure of many kinds.

Gray Blazer
06-22-2010, 20:57
I do think that any long distance hike in THAT state would be filled with adventure of many kinds.

You said a mouthful.

Cookerhiker
06-22-2010, 21:04
West VA would be some of the toughest hiking in the lower 48 IMO......I do think that any long distance hike in THAT state would be filled with adventure of many kinds.

Well my planned long-distance hike (the Allegheny Trail) was abruptly terminated after one day because of a gruesome injury to my hiking partner. But as far as adventure: we had it! The ALT was severely overgrown in many places and the blowdowns' frequency meant we seldom got a stride going. In fact, covering 12.5 miles while not starting until 9:30 and navigating those blowdowns wasn't too bad.

The other thing we had to navigate was the large rattlesnake we encountered late afternoon. The trail was along a small run with thick impenetrable rhododendron on either side. The rattler was coiled on the right side of the trail with his head facing the trail i.e. our legs if we had continued past him. After a few well-placed rocks failed to dislodge him, I found a long branch from all the dead wood around and prodded him into finally slithering off and into the run. Last we saw he was swimming.

Still, I'm ready to resume the ALT.

Gray Blazer
06-22-2010, 21:12
Boot Hill at the old Miss Janet's in Irwin, TN.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/100_2463.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12323&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

Gray Blazer
06-22-2010, 21:13
Whoops, wrong thread!! :o

Cookerhiker
06-22-2010, 21:14
Incidentally, the article mentions the Greenbrier River Trail. This is ideal for cycling - 77 miles of flat path (http://www.wvstateparks.com/Brochures/GreenbrierRiverTrail.pdf) along the river. Beautiful setting. I rode it last week in 2 days.

Also, the article says:

"A hike in Canaan Valley State Park is akin to walking in New England with tannin-stained streams and spruce-covered ridgelines"

This statement may be somewhat accurate but another part of WV - the Cranberry Wilderness - is even more New England-like. I did some hiking up there a few weeks ago and felt like I was in Vermont.

Gray Blazer
06-22-2010, 21:16
Snowshoe, WV is the best skiing closest to FL.

ki0eh
06-22-2010, 21:28
Who will be the first to hike GET in WV from Matewan to Paw Paw? (Although that hike would also stray at numerous points into VA and even MD.)

johnnybgood
06-22-2010, 21:59
Adventure in West Virginia can start by just trying to get to the trail . I traveled a washed out loosely packed gravel road heading up to Dolly Sods Wilderness one Saturday after a series of thunderstorms had rolled through. My truck almost got stuck several times , fortunately I keep the wheels turning and made it to the top.

Once I began hiking on the Blackberry Trail a young couple with a 6 month old baby came running down the trail towards me. They had encountered a huge black bear about a mile back that charged them while they were cooking at their campsite . I had just moments earlier read the sign at the trailhead that read:" Warning - Reports of aggressive bear encounters - Hike at your own risk "

The slogan holds true , "Welcome to Wild and Wonderful West Virginia "

Hikerhead
06-22-2010, 22:19
Who will be the first to hike GET in WV from Matewan to Paw Paw? (Although that hike would also stray at numerous points into VA and even MD.)

I want to be the first to hike from Pearisburg to Pipestem and the Gathering. Well, I know I won't be the first but I do want to do it if the trail is in place.

crazyonelost
06-23-2010, 04:56
I like hiking West Virginia. In under 4-6 hours. I could be anywhere in Wv and hike away. I really don't set any goals,just getting out there doing my own hike on my vacation is what I need to recharge my body and clear out the mental clutter.

One time I wanted to do all "5o hikes in Wv"but actually gotten most done and wanted to venture out and see if other states,can compare to what we have.

As a Wv native. I love my mountains and challanges,so I tend to be a little bias on my opinion.

Brewerbob
07-14-2011, 09:54
As a Wv native. I love my mountains and challanges,so I tend to be a little bias on my opinion.Then you haven't been to the Rockies.