PDA

View Full Version : Slack-Packing the Shenandoah

woodsman
06-22-2010, 14:41
Is it possible to slack-pack the trail through the park? What about vehicle parking? I know the AT crosses the road many times, but are there plenty of access poits to leave a vehicle for about 12 mile hike per day?

joehiker22
06-22-2010, 14:51
yes
no need for slackpack though, plenty easy as it is and plenty of food/supplies easily obainable

Lone Wolf
06-22-2010, 15:22
Is it possible to slack-pack the trail through the park? What about vehicle parking? I know the AT crosses the road many times, but are there plenty of access poits to leave a vehicle for about 12 mile hike per day?

yes. totally possible. plenty of parking and access points

johnnybgood
06-22-2010, 16:15
Slackpacking the park is like taking candy from a baby...easy that is.

fredmugs
06-22-2010, 16:44
Look at the thru hikers guide for waypoints, lodges, and overlooks. You can pretty much park at any of those. There is also an AT parking website but I cannot tell you what it is while I'm at work. Google Rohland (or Roland) AT Parking.

At the northern end of the park I recommend parking at the Northern VA 4-H center.

Cookerhiker
06-22-2010, 17:26
I covered all of Shenandoah NP via slackpacking. Usually base-camped at Lewis Mountain CG (the nicest one IMO despite not having the restaurants all the others have) picked a stretch to hike, started hiking early in the morning, and hitched back to the car.

Hikes in Rain
06-23-2010, 13:02
There are something like 78 times that the AT crosses Skyline Drive. My wife and I spent a day of our vacation last October driving it. I counted every crossing. For some reason, my wife didn't find that as entertaining as I did.

earlyriser26
06-23-2010, 16:05
Just did the northern half of the Shennys this way. Very easy. I actually felt good at the end of the day. Try hike lodge 2 lodge as an option if you really want to take it easy.

Lone Wolf
06-23-2010, 16:26
There are something like 78 times that the AT crosses Skyline Drive.

more like 48

ERNMAN
06-23-2010, 21:18
Look at the thru hikers guide for waypoints, lodges, and overlooks. You can pretty much park at any of those. There is also an AT parking website but I cannot tell you what it is while I'm at work. Google Rohland (or Roland) AT Parking.

At the northern end of the park I recommend parking at the Northern VA 4-H center.
http://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx