PDA

View Full Version : Is 2 1/2 years too soon?

Different Socks
06-23-2010, 02:35
Well y'all gonna find out about this sooner or later. I had a plan a number of years ago to be the first person to walk every mile of the ADT. But due to personal issues, the idea got put on the backburner.
Skip ahead 10 years and I now have enough money and then some to do my thruhike of the ADT.....But, others have already done the thruhike west to east or vice versa. So I came up with a new plan concerning my thruhike of the ADT.
However, I don't want to reveal what that is just yet b/c I don't want any one else rushing out there to beat me to it. I'm not saying I want to be the "first" to do this thing, I just want to be able to say I was the "first" to do it. I've never really accomplished anything extraordinary in my life, so this grand adventure will be it.

Anyway, even though my start date isn't until December 2012, I have begun the seemingly unsurmountable task of amassing the resources, maps, contacting friends/family/hikers/clubs along the route, looking at replacing most of my present hiking/backpacking equipment and have already got a 3 months supply of dinners and drinks stocked up.

So my question is this: Is it too soon to be doing this?

thelowend
06-23-2010, 03:25
never too soon. more power to you. best of luck and godspeed.

Lone Wolf
06-23-2010, 03:25
you're gonna speed hike it?

Ender
06-23-2010, 06:44
my start date isn't until December 2012,

So my question is this: Is it too soon to be doing this?

Not even remotely. You have more than enough time to plan and prepare if you put your mind to it. Heck, my PCT hike I planned all of about a month and a half before I hit the trail, including buying new gear.

So, go for it! You have plenty of time. Have a great trip! :sun

grayfox
06-23-2010, 08:25
Sometimes, stocking up 'stuff' in preparation for a trip or long term goal is a way to keep the dream alive for us.

This could be a good idea or a bad one depending on you and why you do what you do. Just keep in mind that you want to enjoy the here and now as well as the planning and dreaming, and I think you will be fine.

One caveat would be food. Watch the expiration dates and store in a cool dry place and most food will be ok when you open it a long time from now. Don't expect to store meat or whole grains, most protiens I think, for long periods because they may not hold up well.

If you will have a support team to shop for you, store up some money, short term CD's look good at the moment, because it will buy more fresh and nutritious food when you need it later. Inflation is probably less costly than food degradation and spoilage. And also, the way things are going, who knows how light a tent will be two years from now.

Dream On, and keep us in the loop.

sbhikes
06-23-2010, 09:43
I would not spend 2.5 years planning a big hike. I would spend as little time planning as possible and then just get out there and do it.

wrongway_08
06-23-2010, 10:34
Just do it. Don't waste anymore time.

Ranc0r
06-23-2010, 11:04
Let's see... In 30 months you can have changed clothing sizes, possibly more than once. I'd start getting your body into the kind of shape you want it to be in to start your adventure.

Your tastes may change. Don't "stock up" on food, but get used to it. You may find that what you like once in while bored you to tears day after day. Don't forget that hiking food packs calories, which you may not need in such abundance until you are on the trail. Moderation, acclimation. I like trying light weight or freeze dried ingredients when I cook sometimes, to see how I can turn boring into innovative. A couple things have found permanent places on the shelf.

Get hiking. Get used to setting up camp in the rain and dark. Leave late on an overnight, and see how you do and what you can simplify or improve, or better yet, eliminate, in your gear and habits. Iodine takes some getting used to, and pumping filters takes time.

Nothing worse that finding out your tent is too small, your sleeping bag isn't as warm as it was rated, and your shoes are too tight after a day of walking. It isn't too early to plan your trip, and work your plan. Just don't get everything together today and let it sit for 2 years, go use it and enjoy the hike. Like LW says, aside from the sleeping, eating, drinking, camping and resupplying, it really is just walking.

HYOH, every day.

Ranc0r

Different Socks
06-23-2010, 19:22
you're gonna speed hike it?

Nope! Don't believe in speed hiking.

Sierra Echo
06-23-2010, 19:24
I've heard the world was gonna end in Dec 2012. You might want to bump your plans up! :D

Different Socks
06-23-2010, 19:25
Sometimes, stocking up 'stuff' in preparation for a trip or long term goal is a way to keep the dream alive for us.

This could be a good idea or a bad one depending on you and why you do what you do. Just keep in mind that you want to enjoy the here and now as well as the planning and dreaming, and I think you will be fine.

One caveat would be food. Watch the expiration dates and store in a cool dry place and most food will be ok when you open it a long time from now. Don't expect to store meat or whole grains, most protiens I think, for long periods because they may not hold up well.

If you will have a support team to shop for you, store up some money, short term CD's look good at the moment, because it will buy more fresh and nutritious food when you need it later. Inflation is probably less costly than food degradation and spoilage. And also, the way things are going, who knows how light a tent will be two years from now.

Dream On, and keep us in the loop.

As I go thru the grocery aisles, i am learning more and more about what has expiration dates and what doesn't. Got the money in IRA's and CD's. I am only waiting b/c when I finish the hike, I want to be able to stay unemployed.

Different Socks
06-23-2010, 19:33
Let's see... In 30 months you can have changed clothing sizes, possibly more than once. I'd start getting your body into the kind of shape you want it to be in to start your adventure.

Your tastes may change. Don't "stock up" on food, but get used to it. You may find that what you like once in while bored you to tears day after day. Don't forget that hiking food packs calories, which you may not need in such abundance until you are on the trail. Moderation, acclimation. I like trying light weight or freeze dried ingredients when I cook sometimes, to see how I can turn boring into innovative. A couple things have found permanent places on the shelf.

Get hiking. Get used to setting up camp in the rain and dark. Leave late on an overnight, and see how you do and what you can simplify or improve, or better yet, eliminate, in your gear and habits. Iodine takes some getting used to, and pumping filters takes time.

Nothing worse that finding out your tent is too small, your sleeping bag isn't as warm as it was rated, and your shoes are too tight after a day of walking. It isn't too early to plan your trip, and work your plan. Just don't get everything together today and let it sit for 2 years, go use it and enjoy the hike. Like LW says, aside from the sleeping, eating, drinking, camping and resupplying, it really is just walking.

HYOH, every day.

Ranc0r

If the weather for riding my scoot is favorable I go hiking every weekend anywhere from peak bagging to trail hiking to bushwacking. On average I am in decent hiking shape and can knock out 15 miles with a 40lb pack easily.
Food tastes are not really an issue b/c i have done alot of miles thruhiking and already realize i want to shake up my menu. this will be the first hike I'll do where every few meals will include at least ramen dinner. I'll add meat, dried veggies, and a few other things. I'm also trying out couscous, instant potatoes and more rice dishes. About 1 year b4 I leave I'll begin trying a few recipes to include as well.
This hike will take a total of 3 years to do, alot of dinners, lunches, and breakfasts. So variety is important to me. I'm not gonna be like Andrew Skurka, eating the same thing day after day.

Doctari
06-24-2010, 08:14
When doing the ADT & you get near (within 100 trail miles) Cincinnati, drop me a line. ALSO, my mom lives ON the northern loop going west out of Cinti & has a bit of ground for camping if I ask nice.

Have a good trip.

Shutterbug
06-24-2010, 11:50
... I'm not saying I want to be the "first" to do this thing, I just want to be able to say I was the "first" to do it....

I don't understand ... are you suggesting that you just want a lie to seem credible? You don't really want to be first, but you want to be able to claim that you are first? Surely, I misunderstood.

ebandlam
06-24-2010, 12:56
Sorry to be a spoil sport. But I think this has already been done..

http://www.discoverytrail.org/news/cottrells/index.html

But I wish you the very best.. Go conquer the ADT!!!!

Different Socks
06-25-2010, 02:12
Sorry to be a spoil sport. But I think this has already been done..

http://www.discoverytrail.org/news/cottrells/index.html

But I wish you the very best.. Go conquer the ADT!!!!

The Cottrells didn't thruhike the ADT. They stopped and waited out the winter. There has several people that have already hiked the whole trail, either the northern route or southern. Lion King did the "entire" trail as a thru-hike, although I would debate that b/c he blue blazed in some places.

If you want a hint as what my plans are, I've already mentioned that it would take 3 years to do what i have planned. here is another clue: I'm not starting on the ADT.

Different Socks
06-25-2010, 02:15
I don't understand ... are you suggesting that you just want a lie to seem credible? You don't really want to be first, but you want to be able to claim that you are first? Surely, I misunderstood.

Ok, I agree, the original statement doesn't make sense. What I'm trying to say is that I want to do this adventure. When I've completed it, a nice perk would be to say that I was the first to do it. It's just not a priority. Does that make more sense?

Nean
06-25-2010, 08:44
I'm not a big planner person. I just plan on getting to the next town. :-?
What else is there to plan for?:D
Have you ever done a long hike? What if it isn't your cup o tea? You like walking roads?:eek:
As for firsts- I've got a list, but it doesn't make me who I am, and it isn't why I hike.:)
I wish you the best!;)

twosticks
06-25-2010, 09:20
AT to the ADT to the PCT to the CDT ? Is that about 3 years worth?

Nean
06-25-2010, 10:31
AT to the ADT to the PCT to the CDT ? Is that about 3 years worth?

Well, you'd hit the CDT before the Pct and besides, that has pretty much been done by Ed Talone years ago. I don't think he used the ADT to connect them though.

Mags
06-25-2010, 12:30
There are very few firsts of anything in hiking now. And the first creteated are getting, IMO, more and more divorced from reality (First person to horse pack the XYZ trail....while carrying the horse!!! :p)

Without knowing your plans, there is a good bet that someone has done it.

The only first now is to do something first for you, enjoy the experience and come back with some good stories. :sun It's my motivation for hiking anyway. :)

Adayak
06-25-2010, 16:52
I agree with some of the posters above - 2 1/2 years seems way too long to plan a hike. So much can happen in 2 1/2 years. I say build out a strict training timeline and figure out all the logistics so you can knock a year off your schedule. Shoot for Dec 2011 (that is if Dec 2010 is not possible).

weary
06-25-2010, 18:09
....I've never really accomplished anything extraordinary in my life, so this grand adventure will be it.....
It's never too late. I was in my 40s when I called attention to 400,000 acres of land that Maine had reserved 150 years earlier and then forgot about.

And in my 60s and 70s when I helped revive a local land trust and helped create an Appalachian Trail Land Trust. At least I feel good about having helped protect 800 acres of land on the coast of Maine and around 3,000 acres or so in the mountains.

I know these things are always a bit nebulous. But I think of them as more important than setting a "record" that few if anyone will remember. And a lot more fun, regardless of whether anyone remembers.

Weary

Different Socks
06-25-2010, 18:37
I'm not a big planner person. I just plan on getting to the next town. :-?
What else is there to plan for?:D
Have you ever done a long hike? What if it isn't your cup o tea? You like walking roads?:eek:
As for firsts- I've got a list, but it doesn't make me who I am, and it isn't why I hike.:)
I wish you the best!;)

Yep, done some miles....about 9000 of them. Done the AT, PCT(CA), CDT thru NM and southern CO, all of the LT, 650 miles of the Ice Age Trail, some miles of the AZT, the OHT and a few others. Although not an ultra-lite hiker, I will drop some pack weight.

Different Socks
06-25-2010, 23:19
There are very few firsts of anything in hiking now. And the first creteated are getting, IMO, more and more divorced from reality (First person to horse pack the XYZ trail....while carrying the horse!!! :p)

The only first now is to do something first for you, enjoy the experience and come back with some good stories. :sun It's my motivation for hiking anyway. :)
I can tell you for a fact that this "first" has not been done........yet.

Nean
06-30-2010, 23:29

Mags is right in that these days most first are pretty obscure.:eek:
All my first came long ago and none of them were my motovation for doing them.:-? The only first I actually tried for fell short.:eek:

Seems a little odd that with all your experience you are asking advice about planning here on WB about a hike that is secret and never been done by anyone here.:confused:

Some folks are planners and enjoy the proscess. Others like me find it to be unnessesary and often- time wasted. I say do whatever makes you happy.;)