PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 week food suggestions

jmorgan
06-23-2010, 17:02
I am new to the AT and plan on being a section hikers as of now. I have 2.5 weeks available in the beginning of Sept. and am planning to start In georgia and hike 25-30 miles a day. I already have lightweight gear and plan on trying to keep my pack as light as weight as possible so it doesnt slow me down. My question is what are light weight food options to take on the trip. I need to hike a 2.5 week supply but dont want a bunch of food slowing me down. I found a freeze dried 70-portion kit at REI but is mostly vegies and other things. So any suggestions on what i can take?

Ender
06-23-2010, 17:12
First, unless you're in remarkable shape, starting out in GA at 25-30 miles a day will be a struggle. Not saying it can't be done, but yikes. The AT in GA/NC/TN is pretty rough, and averaging that mileage over the terrain right out of the gate is something you would need to prepare for far ahead of time in terms of physical conditioning.

As far as food, Kraft mac n' cheese with olive oil has a goodly amount of calories for the weight. I can't really stand the stuff any more after years of eating it out on the trail, but it does work. Lipton dinners are decent.

Ender
06-23-2010, 17:19
One of my current favorite dishes is pesto. A Knorr pesto package, olive oil to mix, and linguini noodles... yum.

Also, flour tortillas with peanut butter and honey are high energy. Though not lightweight.

And as far as carrying 2.5 weeks of food all at once... don't. Just go into town once every 5-6 days and resupply. Will make your hiking lighter and faster and more enjoyable.

max patch
06-23-2010, 17:32
I need to hike a 2.5 week supply but dont want a bunch of food slowing me down.

You don't need to carry 2.5 weeks of food; plenty of resupply options. Read the Companion or one of the other thru hiker handbooks and Baltimore Jacks resupply article.

bigcranky
06-23-2010, 18:00
Ditto on what Max Patch said. Heck, at 30 miles per day, you can almost resupply every day. (Well, not really, but you'll reach Neels Gap on the first day, and they have a decent store.) But you can easily resupply every 3 or 4 days. No worries.

Cookerhiker
06-23-2010, 18:02
Following up Max's post, here's the link to the Companion (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/ga-tn10.pdf) pages for GA, NC, and TN. If you mail yourself supplies to the places listed, you'll minimize the spent off-trail and be able to chose the foods you want. Some hikers rely exclusively on mail drops, some get all their food shopping in the trail town stores. It's up to you.

And like Ender, I think your intent to average 25-30 mpd is very ambitious. Hope you're working out vigorously in preparation.

Phreak
06-23-2010, 18:16
I make my own dehydrated meals for dinner. I graze on energy bars, snacks, GU, etc throughout the day.

max patch
06-23-2010, 18:45
Unless you have done it before, I wouldn't plan on doing 25-30 mile days on your hike. Only a few hikers can maintain that type of pace.

jmorgan
06-23-2010, 23:29
im in good shape and am running everyday so that i can be ready for that pace. After reading the posts it sounds like i will have to resupply at stores a long the way. Plus that will make the hik a lot easier if i dont have to carry all the weight at once. Thank you all for the info!!

Ender
06-24-2010, 06:47
I'm a runner too, and have to say that there's a huge difference between street running without a pack, and mountain hiking with a pack. Again, not saying you won't be able, just be flexible with your schedule in case you don't manage the expected mileage at first, because chances are you won't be able to.

Still, good luck and have a great trip! :sun

Hikes in Rain
06-24-2010, 06:48
I'm just curious why you want to keep up that pace. You'll miss seeing everything. Just personally, I'd prefer a shorter, more leisurely stroll.

J.D.
06-24-2010, 07:09
If you can get to a Trader Joe's....?

Sesame Seed Crepes! Just got turned onto this! 1,000 calories in a 7 oz. package. Think "Fruit Leather" consistency - chewy, sweet, savory, nutritious!

This may be the Ultimate Trail Food!

fredmugs
06-24-2010, 07:19
25 miles a day is doable even with the (probably) 12 - 13 hours of daylight in Sept.

I hiked GA with other people and stuck to their schedule. From the NC border to Fontana Dam I was able to do big mile days including the 29 miles from the NOC to the dam. The only thing that slows me down are rocks and you aren't going to find a lot of them.

Food wise I always carry MetRx Big 100 meal replacement bars. They weigh like 4 ounces and, combined with chugging a lot of water, sit in my gut for an amazingly long period of time before I get hungry again.

jmorgan
06-24-2010, 08:16
Maybe I will set my goal at 15-20 an if I can do more than great!! I will definetly be goin to trader joes to check out those crepes because that's something I can eat with out stopping. I guess the reason I had it set so high was because I wanted to hike a lot of the trail in my first section of the AT. I appreciate all the advice! Do you guys think a gps would help? I have heard the trail is really well marked.

max patch
06-24-2010, 08:19
Don't need a gps.

bigcranky
06-24-2010, 08:59
No need for a GPS. I carry the maps and pages from a trail guide with mileage and town info.

Kerosene
06-24-2010, 10:25
I did consecutive 18-mile days in early April 2004 through Georgia as an older, but experienced AT section hiker. If I was younger and in better *backpacking* shape, I believe that I could have easily covered 22-25 miles each day, at least up through Franklin, after which the terrain gets a bit rougher I hear. I was carrying about 26 pounds with food, 2.5L of water and gear, with re-supply at Neel Gap and Dicks Creek Gap.

However, if you've never hiked a trail like the AT, then I'd plan for shorter days, at least starting out. Also, note that your joints and ligaments are not strong enough to hike that kind of mileage right out of the gate, so while you may feel strong enough and have enough aerobic capacity, you increase the risk or injury and cutting your hike short. That might be okay for a 2-week section hike, but newbie thru-hikers wouldn't want to jeopardize their entire summer just to get in a few extra miles early on.

I concur, absolutely no need for a GPS, but I would carry a map and ideally some form of trail guide.

RGB
06-24-2010, 10:40
im in good shape and am running everyday so that i can be ready for that pace. After reading the posts it sounds like i will have to resupply at stores a long the way. Plus that will make the hik a lot easier if i dont have to carry all the weight at once. Thank you all for the info!!

I am a marathoner and was actually in the middle of training for my next one before I did my section through TN. I still managed to only average 15 miles/day and have an enjoyable experience at the same time. If you pump up the mileage too high, get ready for diminishing returns. When you add a pack into the equation, your running isn't really going to be able to compensate. If you want to build up miles before you hit the trail, find a hilly dayhike near you and train with a fully loaded pack, or go to the gym and make some hills with a treadmill.

Even if you can do the miles, it's not wise to go up that high so soon. On my last day I hiked 26 miles to Damascus and I might have something wrong with my ACL now for getting that cocky. Just coast along and enjoy yourself, if you end up falling short of where you wanted to be in 2 weeks, who cares, at least you had fun.

Rain Man
06-24-2010, 15:18
Even if you can do the miles, it's not wise to go up that high so soon. On my last day I hiked 26 miles to Damascus and I might have something wrong with my ACL now for getting that cocky.

"Cocky" seems to be the operative word for too many young hikers.

I'm going to "second" Walkin' Dude and all the others who advise against novice AT hikers pretending to be invincible.

Still, the rule is "hike your own hike." We only speak up because you came asking. Let us know how it goes, okay?

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
06-24-2010, 15:58
I also concur with Walkin' Dude and let me point out that in reference to his 26 mile day to Damascus, even I as a late 50s average-conditioned, non-runner hiked a 20 mile day (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=98010) in that stretch. Watauga Lake/Rt. 321 to Damascus is probably easier than any other AT segment of comparable length between Georgia and Mt. Rogers.

Panzer1
06-24-2010, 16:59
Maybe I will set my goal at 15-20 an if I can do more than great!!

Forget about doing miles and just try to have fun with your hike. If you enjoy your hike that would be "great".

Panzer

Tinker
06-24-2010, 21:58
Include quinoa for protein and carbs if you make your own dishes. It's easy to cook but takes a little getting used to. When I hiked Georgia I did about 12 miles a day with a 36 lb. (heavy, and I knew better, but it was March) pack. Beef jerky is great protein, too as is peanut butter, which is probably the staple protein and fat food for hikers everywhere in the USA. Dried fruit is good, too.

scope
06-24-2010, 23:09
You ought to PM Phreak and ask him for advice on the miles - he routinely does that sort of mileage.