PDA

View Full Version : female solo SNP hike in July?

LaurelGrace
06-23-2010, 20:02
I'm planning to do a solo hike for 5-10 days in early July. I have hiked quite a bit in SNP as part of family/ summer camp backpacking trips, but have not hiked solo before. I wanted people's feedback on a female solo hiking in SNP during summer (lots of tourists, etc.).

1. Do you think being close to Skyline Drive may cause more risk (sketchy people)?
2. Is it just too packed to be enjoyable in July?
3. Which section of the park would you recommend?
4. Are there better areas in Virginia/ Maryland to hike?

Thanks for the feedback!

~Laurel

Cookerhiker
06-23-2010, 23:05
I'm planning to do a solo hike for 5-10 days in early July. I have hiked quite a bit in SNP as part of family/ summer camp backpacking trips, but have not hiked solo before. I wanted people's feedback on a female solo hiking in SNP during summer (lots of tourists, etc.).

1. Do you think being close to Skyline Drive may cause more risk (sketchy people)?

Thanks for the feedback!

~Laurel

1. While normally you want to avoid trails near roads - especially solo women - SNP is IMO less risky because it's more of a tourist destination. You're not likely to see drunken locals coming to a trailhead to party like other parts of the AT.

2. Some of the areas frequented by tourists - the Visitors Center, the eateries, Big Meadows and Skyland - will seem crowded but the backcountry won't be. You'll meet some other hikers (probably dayhikers) but I don't think you'll feel "packed in."

3. If you hike 10 days, you can cover the entire Park. If you're hiking less, I'd focus on the Southern and Central Districts. The former will have the least people and some nice high points (HighTop Mountain where I used to maintain is a wonderful place to camp - high elevation, views, and a spring). The Central District features 2 4,000 footers including Hawksbill, the highest point in the Park.

4. For July hiking, you want the highest elevation possible so SNP is much preferable over Northern VA, WV, and MD. The only other AT stretch I'd consider is south of Rockfish Gap where the Trail parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway but doesn't cross it as frequently as Skyline Drive. From Rockfish Gap, it's 64 miles to the BRP crossing near Punchbowl Shelter, 77 miles to the James River, 87 miles to Petite's Gap. Most of this is over 2,500' with some rises to 4,000' in a few places. There are some gap descents and if you reach the James River, you're at the lowest point on the AT in VA.

bigcranky
06-24-2010, 09:04
4. For July hiking, you want the highest elevation possible so SNP is much preferable over Northern VA, WV, and MD. The only other AT stretch I'd consider is south of Rockfish Gap where the Trail parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway but doesn't cross it as frequently as Skyline Drive.

This is exactly the section we're doing in July. James River Bridge to Swift Run Gap. We're hoping that the elevation will make it a little cooler -- gah, the mountain forecast in NC doesn't get below 70 at night right now.

Laurel Grace, SNP is a very nice section, and while the front country areas will have a lot of people, I concur that the trail won't be very crowded. The shelters will have some people in the evening, though hikers are (in general) okay people if a little odd sometimes. If you want to avoid people then plan to stealth camp by yourself away from the shelters. (But be aware of the regs in SNP regarding camping.)

CentralVaAt
06-24-2010, 09:46
Just curious, but do you have dates set on your departure? I was actually debating on hiking SNP in late July myself but not sure which direction. I'm trying to find someone to go with me but most of my friends who like to hike with me either have to work or are complaining about the heat. Not sure if I wanted to go out for a week alone, not b/c of safety, but because I get bored without someone to talk to!

Cookerhiker
06-24-2010, 12:07
This is exactly the section we're doing in July. James River Bridge to Swift Run Gap. We're hoping that the elevation will make it a little cooler -- gah, the mountain forecast in NC doesn't get below 70 at night right now....

Even though it's been 20 years since I hiked most of that section, I remember it fondly. As long as you can survive the heat coming off the bat from the James River, you'll be cooler at the ridgeline most of the way.

2 other low spots: Pedlar Lake and the Tye River. For the latter and if your overall schedule allows, I'd recommend camping on The Priest (or stay in The Priest Shelter at 3,800') and hike the 3,000' descent to the Tye first thing in the morning. Just before The Priest summit, a side trail leads to Crabtree Falls - 2 miles one way but worth it if you have the time.

And I believe The Priest is the last 4,000'+ summit directly on the AT (not counting those accessible on side trails) until Mt. Moosilauke in New Hampshire.

Ox97GaMe
06-25-2010, 00:17
If you are out there in early July, you will still have a fair number of Northbound thruhikers coming thru the park. so, you probably wont be hiking 'alone' very much, and even less camping alone. The AT overall is pretty safe. You get an occassional incident that you read about, but they are usually few and far between. Most major incidents occur when hikers dont take caution and use a little common sense.

Criminals tend to be lazy people. So be more cautious when you are near trailheads and in towns.
Long distance hikers tend to be good people and look out for other hikers, unless you are becoming a nusience.

If you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation while hiking, express that you are hiking with someone else and that you expect them to be pretty close behind you.

Within the first couple days you will probably find a small group of folks that you click with and will find yourself hiking at their pace for the duration of your hike.

Rain Man
06-25-2010, 13:38

My daughter and I 'thru-hiked' the SNP about three summers ago. Saw no "sketchy people." We met more than one female section hiker hiking it alone with no problems.

Heavens no. Was not packed at all for us. We hiked for seven days, which included the 4th of July.

All of it. If you have up to ten days, you can easily do it all. But if fewer days, I think the southern half crosses Skyline Drive much more than the northern half, if that matters to you.

No one can answer that for you. It all depends on what you're after. Tinker Cliffs and McAfee Knob are certainly famous, a little farther south in Virginia. Grayson Highlands, farther south still. Your choice.

Thanks for the feedback!

~Laurel

You are very welcome. Have a great hike!

Rain:sunMan

LaurelGrace
06-29-2010, 09:39
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I've hiked the Priest and area around the James River Bridge- very nice, indeed! I'm going to go for it in SNP this time!

happy trails to everyone!

Tipi Walter
06-29-2010, 09:56
You may find the greatest problem you will encounter will be the nonstop high-volume screaming racing motorcycles ruining any chance at a "wilderness" experience. I regularly camp within 5 to 10 miles of the Anus Of The Dragon oops I mean the Tail of the Dragon south of the Smokies and all you hear are the Harleys and the riceburners screaming thru the mountains. It's enough to make you want to hang up the old pack and burrow a campsite underground.

While the SNP is a beautiful place otherwise, I did it in early March and back then they closed the road and all the stores were closed. I would recommend a winter traverse.

mad4scrapping
07-07-2010, 14:08
My daugher, my friend and I tried to do the length of the SNP. We started on Monday and got about 20 miles by Tuesday at noon before we had to stop. It was just too dang hot. At the Elkwallow wayside where we caught a shuttle back to our car, they told us it was 105 degrees with a 110 degree heat index. I'm glad we left the trail, although disappointed.
I'm going to go back in September when it's cooler.
BTW-- there were still a few thrus on the trail.

Rain Man
07-07-2010, 23:18
My daugher, my friend and I tried to do the length of the SNP. We started on Monday and got about 20 miles by Tuesday at noon before we had to stop. It was just too dang hot....

You do have to build up a tolerance to the heat. I've been going almost every day (well, 5 out of every 7) for the past six weeks getting ready for a section hike. I go in the absolute hottest part of the day if I can. Today was 96 with a heat index over 100. I also carry a 40+ lb pack for practice (my summer pack is about 24 lbs, fully loaded).

Of course, I wasn't hiking all day long! ;)

But you just can not beat the spring or fall for really nice times to be out on the trail, that's true.

Cookerhiker
07-08-2010, 10:10
My daugher, my friend and I tried to do the length of the SNP. We started on Monday and got about 20 miles by Tuesday at noon before we had to stop. It was just too dang hot. At the Elkwallow wayside where we caught a shuttle back to our car, they told us it was 105 degrees with a 110 degree heat index. I'm glad we left the trail, although disappointed.
I'm going to go back in September when it's cooler.
BTW-- there were still a few thrus on the trail.

I understand your larger point: it's too danged hot to backpack - despite the myths to the contrary, SNP has a lot of up-and-down to which the heat adds much stress. I imagine the water sources are also shaky except for the developed areas.

105 at Elk Wallow? Perhaps whatever thermometer was used was in full sun for a time. I've been in SNP countless times over 35 years in all 4 seasons including summer when the valley (Front Royal, Charlottesville, etc) has been over 100. I've found it's always more comfortable up on Skyline Drive and I can't imagine the temp. being at triple digits. I just heard yesterday from a PATC source via Facebook re the SNP temps:

"I was in the central district yesterday, 85 degrees on Skyline Drive. Count on it being 10 to 15 degrees cooler than the projected highs for this area"

But yes, September would be a nicer time to hike.

Rain Man
07-08-2010, 12:36
I just heard yesterday from a PATC source via Facebook re the SNP temps:

"I was in the central district yesterday, 85 degrees on Skyline Drive. Count on it being 10 to 15 degrees cooler than the projected highs for this area"

Yep, when I did the SNP in July, it happened to be over 100 here in Nashville. Before hitting the road, I called over there to ask about conditions in the SNP. Lady on the phone said:

"Yes, it's been real hot here. Yesterday it got all the way up to 85."

And she was serious! LOL

Same thing this year. I'm headed to SW VA this weekend and the high on Saturday is supposed to be 78 in Sugar Grove. Today here it's supposed to be 96 or so. No matter, the local weather is whatever it is and you have to HYOH.