PDA

View Full Version : Skipping PA

KVKV
06-23-2010, 20:11
Hi,

I am currently hiking the AT but I'd like to skip from approximately Duncanon, PA to Bear's Mountain, near the Hudson River. I'm not from the States so I don't know much about car rental or possibilities of public transport (ie trains, buses...). I am currently doing my research online but wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to skip this section. Ideally I'd like to hire a car and drive up but I rang Enterprise who said they don't let you return the car in a different location.

Any ideas are much appreciated. Am currently in Harper's Ferry but will be back on the trail in a couple of days. Research isn't easy when you're not at home!

Ta to all

KVKV

Toolshed
06-23-2010, 20:24
Bon jour. comment allez vouz

Mon Francoise is no Pas Bon. So I'll stick to english....

If there is another car rental near you - preferably a big national - Avis, Hertz, you should have no problem with different pick-ups and drop offs. you might have to cathc a ride from Duncannon Mechanicsburg (the next larger city) - to rent a car, but I think that would be the easiest way to go.

fiddlehead
06-23-2010, 20:26
Not so easy.
Hertz will do a one way car rental but it is expensive.

Other options: take the train to NY city (from Harrisburg, PA) and try to get to Bear mt from there.
Again, not so easy.

Probably better to hike it.

good luck.

Don H
06-23-2010, 21:36
It's a shame to miss the experience of the Pennsylvania rocks.

BigFoot2002
06-23-2010, 21:58
Harpers Ferry to someplace out of New York City would be easier

Ender
06-23-2010, 22:06
If you can get to New York City (someone suggested a train from Harrisburg?), then it's easy to get to Bear Mountain area. You can take a bus straight to bear mountain from Port Authority bus terminal. Or take a train to Harriman from Penn Station, which is west of bear mountain by maybe 20 or 30 miles.

ki0eh
06-23-2010, 22:07
Once you're in Duncannon a walk into the Doyle Hotel should get you a ride to Harrisburg (15 miles away). Harrisburg has better train service than Harpers, especially on weekends, and most go direct to NYC, from Harpers you have to transfer in Washington. Once you're in NYC then http://www.nynjtc.org/content/where-you-can-go-bus-or-train could help you get to Bear Mountain. Probably this would involve an over night stay in NYC.

Cookerhiker
06-23-2010, 22:36
Yes, take the train from Harrisburg to New York. In NY, your choices are train to Peekskill (http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/pdf/6212010HudsonLineM_F.pdf), a short cabride from the Bear Mountain Bridege or bus to Bear Mountain (http://www.coachusa.com/shortline/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=New+York&s1=NY&c2=Bear+Mountain&s2=NY&resultId=203516&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Fshortline%2Findex%2Easp&cbid=42432991524).

emerald
06-23-2010, 23:15
BARTA from Hamburg to Reading and Carl Bieber Trailways from there to NYC where your options are unlimited! Can't quote your cost to NYC off the top of my head, but it would be far less than renting a car and may be your least expensive alternative.

It would probably be better use of your limited time to visit ATC's website. Nearly all of what you will read here is condensed on a single page of links.

fredmugs
06-24-2010, 06:56
Harpers Ferry to someplace out of New York City would be easier

Agree with this option. If you are trying to get as many miles in as you can on a limited time schedule skipping PA is a good idea.

GalHikingTheGap
06-24-2010, 07:06
I don't know how long you'll be in Duncannon, PA but on Saturday I should be free and could pick you up in Duncannon and drop you off near where I live, the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (in exchange for cash money for gas and a modest donation to my own AT fund :O). I could even drop you off near Kirkridge Shelter in PA and you won't miss hiking from PA into NJ. I'm PMing you my e-mail and phone number.

L/Baby D.

KVKV
06-24-2010, 08:16
Thanks to all your suggestions and private messages. I am going to check all the links you have given me to see what will be best. I was doing a thru hike but my Mum met me for a month of hiking together and hence our mileage has dropped considerably. As I am on a strict deadline for finishing (a job waiting for me upon my return), I need to skip a bit in order to make it to New England which I don't want to miss. The rocks I understand are missable!

bfitz
06-24-2010, 09:48
Also, if you get to Duncannon and are in a pinch, a very nice lady called "trail angel Mary" lives in Duncannon and will be easy to find...just ask at the pub just up the street from the Doyle (she works there..). She will help you figure things out. (If she has a running vehicle (not certain she will...) and drives you herself, be sure to compensate her adequately, you may have to insist...she's the type that might not mention it or try to refuse it when you offer...)

emerald
06-24-2010, 11:49
If you are trying to get as many miles in as you can on a limited time schedule, skipping PA is a good idea.

I had understood according to information provided by WhiteBlaze, Pennsylvania offers the easiest A.T. miles to be had. More miles = more smiles, no?:)

berkshirebirder
06-24-2010, 11:54
Pennsylvania offers the easiest A.T. miles to be had.

Some people like their mountains to be vertical, Emerald--not lying smashed on the ground.

trailangelmary
06-24-2010, 12:40
Also, if you get to Duncannon and are in a pinch, a very nice lady called "trail angel Mary" lives in Duncannon and will be easy to find...just ask at the pub just up the street from the Doyle (she works there..). She will help you figure things out. (If she has a running vehicle (not certain she will...) and drives you herself, be sure to compensate her adequately, you may have to insist...she's the type that might not mention it or try to refuse it when you offer...)

If you opt to take a shuttle to Harrisburg fom Duncannon, I am willing for a small shuttle fee to cover my gas. I live in an apt on top of Pub - 1 1/2 blocks north on Market St from Doyle. At corner before Pub look up, balcony is mine. Phone 717-834-4706

emerald
06-24-2010, 13:32
Some people like their mountains to be vertical, Emerald--not lying smashed on the ground.

People who gloat about their multiple orogenies that transpired millions of years ago!:rolleyes:

berkshirebirder
06-24-2010, 14:02
Are you allowed to talk about such things on the internet?

Oklahoma
06-24-2010, 18:00
Enterprise will let you drop off at other locations. You might have misunderstood them. They are cheaper than Hertz I am taking one to Thurmont Maryland from Oklahoma on July6 to section from Virginia to Georgia. If you call the drop off point ahead they will usually drop you off somewhere once you turn in the car.

GalHikingTheGap
06-24-2010, 20:58
My Saturday might be stolen from me. I'll know at 10 PM Friday whether or not this is the case. If my engagement is broken, I'll shuttle on Saturday. However, I might not be able to oblige a ride until Sunday. I will let you know as soon as I know something.

I am happy to oblige you a ride on Sunday morning for sure from Mary's or wherever to Water Gap, where ERNMAN will hook you up with a ride to the Bear Mountain Bridge. I'm posting this here and sending it to him, and hope sincerely I can still help. He has my contact info too. I'll let you know as soon as I know anything.

Lindsay/Baby D

Appalachian Tater
06-24-2010, 21:28
If you can't get a shuttle, Greyhound goes from Harrisburg PA to Stroudsburg PA (Delaware Water Gap/Pennsylvania-New Jersey border) in under 5 hours for under $40. From there, it's almost 100 miles hiking through New Jersey and New York to Bear Mountain but it's a nice area to hike in with a lot of interesting things to see so that might be an option.

GalHikingTheGap
06-24-2010, 22:11
Whew, just replied KVKV via e-mail.

stranger
06-24-2010, 23:23
Best option I can think of is to hike to Duncannon, get to Harrisburg via shuttle or hitch, then take the train into NYC which will probably drop you at Penn Station, then get to Grand Central Station (cab or walk) and take the Metro-North Poughpeesie line to Garrision NY, which is located on 9D. From there, get a cab to the AT crossing on 9D which will be on the east side of the Hudson, meaning if you wanted to go to Bear Mountain you would need to walk southbound across the bridge.

I would recommend pre-arranging a taxi at Garrison as it's kinda remote for the area.

stranger
06-24-2010, 23:25
The Metro-North line is for "Poughkeepsie"

stranger
06-24-2010, 23:29
Sorry another correction...Garrison train station is located off 9D down by the river, not directly on 9D, and it's about 6 miles from the Bear Mountain Bridge, east side

emerald
06-27-2010, 23:54
Any others?